Giant P-SL1 wheel set opinions wanted please.

Tarquin

Giant P-SL1 wheel set opinions wanted please.

Postby Tarquin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:08 pm

I've been looking at upgrading to a Giant TCR Advanced 1 2014.

However apart from the horrible colour scheme the only thing off putting me a little is the wheels.

I googled and found quite a few people complaining of rear spokes breaking quite regularly which would be a PITA. Not sure if it would be worth haggling in some better wheels to begin with even if its with money on top...

Does anyone have first hand experience of this, I'm a 79kg rider and don't get out of the saddle that much compared to some riders, ill sit and grind away instead of standing...

Duck!
Expert

Re: Giant P-SL1 wheel set opinions wanted please.

Postby Duck! » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:45 pm

They're not brilliant wheels. Surprisingly for DT Swiss (which is what they basically are with some input from Giant), quality is very inconsistent; I've had some customers who have had no problems, others who have had endless problems, and it doesn't seem to be weight related.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:39 pm

In my case the wheels have been fine. I am lighter (72kg) though still can put some energy into the bike.
The loud ticking when coasting is not my favourite sound though they have been solid and reliable in my case.

For serious racing I would go for an upgrade though for training and tours (except for the noise) they are sufficient.
Cycling is in my BNA

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:08 pm

AUbicycles wrote:In my case the wheels have been fine. I am lighter (72kg) though still can put some energy into the bike.
The loud ticking when coasting is not my favourite sound though they have been solid and reliable in my case.

For serious racing I would go for an upgrade though for training and tours (except for the noise) they are sufficient.
Some noises are fine, it's only when they suddenly stop that there's a problem. (Says someone who's first track bike had a block chain (no rollers))

Cheers,

Cameron

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:01 pm

Why not ask the shop to deduct the wheels from the price and buy it "without" wheels?

Even if they don't give you much off the price, the Giant wheels would be almost worthless once used and you can buy a reliable set of after market wheels for not a lot of $$
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:02 pm

The ticking noise is the normal noise, I just find it too loud.
Cycling is in my BNA

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:35 pm

any idea how those wheel would compare to more "standard" wheels? e.g shimano rs10 ....

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:41 pm

Are these the aero wheelset?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:13 pm

eeksll wrote:any idea how those wheel would compare to more "standard" wheels? e.g shimano rs10 ....
RS10's would be more reliable.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:09 am

jacks1071 wrote:
eeksll wrote:any idea how those wheel would compare to more "standard" wheels? e.g shimano rs10 ....
and I wouldn't call RS10s reliable. They came with my flat bar and are currently sitting in a box after 2 broken spokes in 5000kms. (am just a bit heavier than the OP)

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:58 pm

jasonc wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:
and I wouldn't call RS10s reliable. They came with my flat bar and are currently sitting in a box after 2 broken spokes in 5000kms. (am just a bit heavier than the OP)
They arn't what I'd use :-)

But I'd still have the RS10's over the Giant stockies.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:42 pm

It probably depends on the shop, but the one I bought from had no interest at all in letting me upgrade/cash in the P-SL0 wheels. Doubt many people go into a store to by OEM wheels so their chances of selling them are zilch unless they buy framesets and build their stock bikes up from scratch.

thejester

Postby thejester » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:12 pm

Giant wheels are prohibitively expensive to buy outright. I work for a Giant dealer and can buy Shimano wheels at better prices.
Which is just as well cause I ride a Trek and it would look weird with Giant wheels.
Deon really should GIVE me some Braccianos as I keep telling people they are a great upgrade (based on hearsay only) for $400. i have no idea if anyone has actually taken that advice :wink:
Last edited by thejester on Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:13 pm

thejester wrote:Giant wheels are prohibitively expensive to buy outright. I work for a Giant dealer and can buy Shimano wheels at better prices.
Which is just as well cause I ride a Trek and it would look weird with Giant wheels.
Deon really should GIVE me some Braccianos as I keep telling people they are a great upgrade (based on hearsay only) for $400
I've got 2 sets of pro-lites and he won't give me a set for nothing

thejester

Postby thejester » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:18 pm

jasonc wrote:
thejester wrote:Giant wheels are prohibitively expensive to buy outright. I work for a Giant dealer and can buy Shimano wheels at better prices.
Deon really should GIVE me some Braccianos as I keep telling people they are a great upgrade (based on hearsay only) for $400

but I'm cool 8)
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:32 pm

jasonc wrote:
At my margins I might as well be giving them away :-)

Appreciate your support bud, next order remind me to include a free set of PL socks for you.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:35 pm

jacks1071 wrote:Appreciate your support bud, next order remind me to include a free set of PL socks for you.
are you suggesting I require a 3rd set of pro-lites? :oops:

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:03 pm

jasonc wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:Appreciate your support bud, next order remind me to include a free set of PL socks for you.
My work isn't done until you have one of each model :-)

Some of the "2014" models are arriving next week, checkout:

Bracciano A42
Paula
Merano A25-W

http://www.pro-lite.net/products/wheels/road" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:53 pm

Went to the Sydney Giant store today, had another look at the TCR Advanced 1 and the Propel Advanced 2....

Apart from the frame, wheels and aero brakes on the Propel the bikes are the same, but the Propel is $1k more... Can't help but think that I could buy a set of Dura Ace wheels to race on for that money and train on the stock wheels if i bought the TCR.

Just the colours ming.... The Propel is a much better looking bike.

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:05 pm

What are they doing on the Propel $$ wise? Just bought one myself, they should have at least 25% off RRP up their sleeve.
Last edited by Carrots on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:46 pm

2014 Propel Advanced/2013 Propel Advanced SL's come with the PSLR1 aero wheelset which are deep section rims. The TCR SLs come with the PSLR1 wheelset which aren't deep section rims. TCR SLR's come with the PSL1 wheelset. TCR Advanced's come with PSL0 rims. Very annoying and very confusing names considering I just mentioned 4 different wheelsets.
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:50 pm

The Propel Advanced models are on the P-SLR1 Aero wheels (which are a little bit different to the others, which have been a real mixed bag of reliability), while the top-spec Advanced SL models are on Zipp wheels.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:52 pm

Retail prices are;

$4300 on a Propel Advanced 2.
$3200 on a TCR advanced 1.

I didn bother getting into it too much as ill buy through my LBS who do Giant, just wanted to see all the range together in the store.

Didn't really expect a discount as the '14 bikes are only just out, maybe I should be asking for one!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:05 pm

Duck! wrote:The Propel Advanced models are on the P-SLR1 Aero wheels (which are a little bit different to the others, which have been a real mixed bag of reliability), while the top-spec Advanced SL models are on Zipp wheels.
If you can find a store that still stock the 2013 Propel Advanced SL1 with the PSLR1 Aero Wheelset you could get them at a bargain. A few weeks ago I saw the 2013 Propel Advanced SL1 going for something like 5k and when you consider that the 2014 bike with Zipp 404's are around 8.5k you might be better off getting the 13 model and buying yourself the 404's separately for about 2.5-2.7k. With the saved cash pick up an extra cassette to use on the PSLR-1 aero wheels :P (The aero wheelset certainly are a quality wheelset so they aren't a joke as some of the PSL1's-PSL0's have become at times)

thejester

Postby thejester » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:07 am

jasonc wrote:
11spd... good excuse to upgrade to dura-ace ..... ORRRR.... Campy :twisted:

OR
maybe the microshift stuff has 11spd
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie