Indoor trainers

Jace

Indoor trainers

Postby Jace » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:35 am

I am thinking about an indoor trainer just to get a few more Ks up and to mix up the training a bit. It would also help me get some kms in when its wet and dark. I really like the look of the Tacx VR variety (even though they are a bit pricey) because to be honest sitting and staring at a wall and spinning the wheels would bore me stupid.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Thanks! :D
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=12 ... ij&z=a.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Indoor trainers

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:41 am

A mate has one, the iGenius I think its called. Very cool piece of kit, certainly helps him spend more time on it than he otherwise would. Unfortunately was out of my budget, I went with a simple Jetblack fluid trainer. And mine doesnt get ridden a lot. Take from that what you will :(
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Jace

Postby Jace » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:46 am

Yeah I was looking at the iGenius. Its definitely on the pricey side but looks awesome. I am pretty sure if I had something basic I wouldnt use it a lot either.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=12 ... ij&z=a.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:57 am

He bought his from Wiggle, was around $1200 from memory (+ duties/gst). Unfortunately was DOA (brake motor was stuffed). Sent back to Wiggle and promptly replaced with a whole new unit. Downside, had to wait a few weeks extra to be up and running. Upside, he now has almost a full complement of spare parts.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:57 am

Dogs are the best people :wink:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:46 pm

Jace wrote:I am thinking about an indoor trainer just to get a few more Ks up and to mix up the training a bit. It would also help me get some kms in when its wet and dark. I really like the look of the Tacx VR variety (even though they are a bit pricey) because to be honest sitting and staring at a wall and spinning the wheels would bore me stupid.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Thanks! :D
I think you need to set some more parameters, as the choice is vast.

Budget
Type of trainer: Standalone ergobike, or one you fit your bike to (tyre or cassette drive), or rollers to ride on
Resitance control: Basic with no control, variable resistance control, or computer controlled
Usage level
Location/room available and if it needs to be moved/packed away each time or can be left out
Noise and safety considerations
Consideration of other things to go with it: motivational aids (video, music, software), adequate cooling, impact on tyres

Jace

Postby Jace » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:46 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote: I think you need to set some more parameters, as the choice is vast.

Budget
Type of trainer: Standalone ergobike, or one you fit your bike to (tyre or cassette drive), or rollers to ride on
Resitance control: Basic with no control, variable resistance control, or computer controlled
Usage level
Location/room available and if it needs to be moved/packed away each time or can be left out
Consideration of other things to go with it: motivational aids (video, music, software), adequate cooling, impact on tyres
Ok thinking one that you fit the bike to with computer or variable control resistance. Usage level is unknown but lets say 4 hours pw. Will need to be moveable although doesnt need complete packing up. Video and software would be nice. Hadnt considered the tyre impact, how pronounced is that?

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:49 pm

Jace wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote: I think you need to set some more parameters, as the choice is vast.

Budget
Usage level
Ok thinking one that you fit the bike to with computer or variable control resistance. Usage level is unknown but lets say 4 hours pw. Will need to be moveable although doesnt need complete packing up. Video and software would be nice. Hadnt considered the tyre impact, how pronounced is that?
Budget?

Jace

Postby Jace » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:53 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Jace wrote:

Budget
Usage level
Budget?
I am thinking somewhere around the 1K mark.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:46 am

Jace wrote:I am thinking somewhere around the 1K mark.
OK, well if that includes the extras you need for decent indoor training set up (e.g. industrial strength fan, floor mat, maybe a trainer specific wheel etc) then I'd suggest a high quality non resistance-controlled unit like a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine (you control resistance with wheel speed, i.e. use your gears - it has more than enough resistance for most), which will leave you some money to spend on something like PerfPro Studio or Trainer Road subscription (assuming you already have a computer to use with your set up). The other bits n pieces can be had for not much if you shop around, get 2nd hand ebay etc.

Your budget isn't sufficient for a quality unit that controls resistance.

The nearest I suggest considering is a Wahoo Kickr with PerfPro Studio or TrainerRoad or a 2nd hand Computrainer (with same software options).

In either case you'll need a computer to get the most out of them, although it's possible to run them in manual modes without computer control.

If you want to learn more, DCRainmaker has plenty of trainer reviews (not all are readily available in Australia though).
General trainers
Wahoo Kickr
Tacx Genius

Jace

Postby Jace » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:47 pm

Thats awesome. Thanks for the detailed info.

I quite like the look of both the Kickr and Genius. Few advantages and disadvantages to both I think. Would be good to get a bit of hands on experience with each. I have heard the Tacx system can be pretty buggy although seems to have a better software set up. Dont know much about the Kickr but after looking at it the open ended platform has a lot of potential.

Thanks again

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:00 am

Lemond .......

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Marty Moose wrote:Lemond .......

Great unit, a bit noisy but they are no longer made, so 2nd hand unit or old stock only and no support.

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:56 pm

What is a quiet indoor trainer? I have a basic tracx unit and it shakes the whole house and wakes the mrs up.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:01 pm

SuperSix wrote:What is a quiet indoor trainer? I have a basic tracx unit and it shakes the whole house and wakes the mrs up.
Depends on how you define quiet. I have a Jetblack Z1 which is a fluid trainer. Much more quiet than the noisy entry level mag trainers, but still makes a bit o' noise.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:

Great unit, a bit noisy but they are no longer made, so 2nd hand unit or old stock only and no support.
Shame didn't know that :(

Ben82

Postby Ben82 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:38 am

I have thpe Tacx I genius and love it as much as one could love an indoor trainer.
The biggest factor affecting the consistant performance is the PC you are running the software on, while I can not go into details on the PC required I can say it runs flawlessly on a Dell xps 17 laptop.

The genius takes a little time to become familiar with the start up proceedure but once familar you can be calibrated and up and riding inside 5 minutes.

I personally don't use all the different functions and generally just use the catalyst training centre and programe power interval sessions.

Hope this is of some assistance in making your decision.

Ben.

Jace

Postby Jace » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:38 pm

Ben82 wrote:I have thpe Tacx I genius and love it as much as one could love an indoor trainer.
The biggest factor affecting the consistant performance is the PC you are running the software on, while I can not go into details on the PC required I can say it runs flawlessly on a Dell xps 17 laptop.

The genius takes a little time to become familiar with the start up proceedure but once familar you can be calibrated and up and riding inside 5 minutes.

I personally don't use all the different functions and generally just use the catalyst training centre and programe power interval sessions.

Hope this is of some assistance in making your decision.

Ben.
How much did it set you back mate? And did you have a lot of difficulty setting up?

Ben82

Postby Ben82 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:35 pm

From memory I paid around $1100 landed from Bike 24 back when the dollar was doing a lot better. Initially the I genius is a pain in the ass but after the familiarization phase I am now able to get home frome work and be up and going with in 5 minutes.

liamw

Postby liamw » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:

I thought that they were still being made? http://www.lemondrevolution.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; seems to indicate that they still are. Admittedly, the last update was July 1st this year, but that isn't too bad...

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:13 am

liamw wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:

I thought that they were still being made? http://www.lemondrevolution.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; seems to indicate that they still are. Admittedly, the last update was July 1st this year, but that isn't too bad...
Interesting. Seems I'm a bit out of date, thanks for link.

They went off air for a while, looks like it's been resurrected. I think there were some ownership changes and company stopped operating for a while. I forget the details now. Like I said, a great trainer if you don't mind the noise of a jet engine!

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:32 am

Elite have come up with a fluid train on the same principle as the Lemond.

Based on the video it is a whole lot quieter.

Looks like I might need go update my trainer

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:24 am

I have a Tacx Fortius andnMr Moo has a Genius. Love mine, he's not sure. I have a dedicated wheel (cost $50) so this is easy. I also have my tt bike setup on here most of the time. Mr Moo has his normal roadie that he puts on and off as required.

Mine is certainly the best thing I've bought. Can't speak highly enough of the concept tho software has been annoyingly difficult on a duel boot MacBook Pro under both do and Win7. Mr Moo hasn't had any software issues but uses a windows pc.

He picked his up on gumtree for $350.

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Don't see the point in spending that kind of money.
Kurt Kinetic + Trainerroad is ideal imo.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:44 pm

Used power meter + jet black fluid trainer will probably get you more results than many options just because power makes your trainer work more betterer and should give you a stronger direction. I personally found the intervals on the trainer to be really aggravating because the aim is faster riding outside. Can't do a really good job of that without a power meter. You CAN do this without it if you go trainer road or igenius but I found the result going that way to be hollow. If the work can't be directly compared to a race or a hard ride, I don't know what the trainer work means and if it has done anything.