Tour de Tamborine - Tamborine Mountain Sports Festival, QLD

shaneporter

Tour de Tamborine - Tamborine Mountain Sports Festival, QLD

Postby shaneporter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:10 am

Entries for the Tour de Tamborine 2013 are open - http://tourdetamborine.com.au/ - :D
Date: Weekend Fri 29 Nov to Sun 1 Dec
(Rides all on Sunday morning with cycling skills clinics and activities available on Sat)

New routes, distances and improvements have been made on the charity ride/run based on feedback from the 1200 participants in 2012's success.

Website has the full info, along with early entry discount info, otherwise facebook is the go - http://www.facebook.com/TheTourDeTamborine

Image Image Image
Image Image

shaneporter

Re: Tour de Tamborine - Tamborine Mountain Sports Festival,

Postby shaneporter » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:29 pm

Just a wee reminder, one of the early discount deadlines is in 10days time. Cheers

jack11

Postby jack11 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:16 pm

I am thinking of using this event as a target to train to. I would have no issue with the distance, except as a bigger guy (100kgs) i'm concerned about the climb back up to tamborine - i've never done anything that long, with most of my climbing in the 2 to 3 km range with an elevation gain of 100 to 200m. Can anyone provide me with some details of the climb? i.e. how is the road surface, is it easier or harder than the strava profile suggests?

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:03 pm

jack11 wrote:I am thinking of using this event as a target to train to. I would have no issue with the distance, except as a bigger guy (100kgs) i'm concerned about the climb back up to tamborine - i've never done anything that long, with most of my climbing in the 2 to 3 km range with an elevation gain of 100 to 200m. Can anyone provide me with some details of the climb? i.e. how is the road surface, is it easier or harder than the strava profile suggests?
I did the climb from Tambo village on Friday. It's a good road surface, fairly constant profile though slightly steeper in the first few kms - never what I'd call steep though. If you can get into a decent rhythm and pace yourself then it's not an overly difficult climb.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:55 pm

I was so looking forward to doing this ride, and spending the weekend at Tamborine. Really gutted I won't get the chance this year.

Jack11, if you have any hills near you, just look at doing repeats. Nothing can prepare you for such a climb if you have nothing like it where you live, but as CaptainSlow said, on the day just find a rhythm that suits you. All I can say, and I've never done the climb, is it's not that hard. ~9km at 5% isn't that difficult.

baghwan

Postby baghwan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:07 pm

Had a good day today, nearly lost it going downhill tho, massive pothole hidden in the middle of the road in the shade, there was even a guy on the side pointing it out, but it still caught a good 6 or so riders while I was fixing my front tire, my first time up Tamborine Mountain Rd, good climb to find your tempo, climbing on the newly sealed parts is like riding on clouds.

Did anyone find the drink stops? The only one I saw was all the way at 85km, some people by then were desperate for water.

Results

http://www.racetecresults.com/results.a ... 287&RId=71" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:25 pm

Perfect day for a ride, Perfect place for a ride.

This event was well attended and consequently there were some issues getting so many cars parked in time for participants to start the event at the correct time.
This caused some slight confusion with a delay to the start of the 100km riders group and they were caught early by some of the 50km riders.
So at the Canungra intersection a few 50km riders accidentally took the 100km route turn and vice versa.
But it was sorted out OK.

The descent is mind boggling. The climb was a bit harder than previous year, the second timing point being slightly higher up the mountain.
My time for the climb was 10th fastest in the 50km group, and fastest for this group in the 50-59 age bracket.

Piccy below at the start

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:34 am

Yes wasn't too bad on the 100. The first 50 was basically a sprint to the first water stop at the 50km mark but there was no water stop! Ended up doing 88km's back at the roundabout till our first stop and water which ended up killing our chances on a good climb time. Anyway, did a 35min climb but cramp set in due to the lack of water earlier.
Overall really enjoyed the circuit and the difference between first 50 and second 50 was huge. Besides the climb back up, the circuit from the roundabout and back was very lumpy with barely any flat sections.

On the run back to Tamborine village I saw that huge pothole with about 5 guys repairing tyres :)

Beautiful day and lovely late morning tea topped it off.

Dave