Good alternative to Energy gels?

kman

Postby kman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Had my first taste of energy gel, and OMGosh :shock: Especially when they are all warmed up by my body heat. I felt sick eating them. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with the other 28 packs!! lemon lime flavour tasted nothing like it.

Are there any alternative to energy gel that you guys could suggest?

DoubleSpeeded

Re: Good alternative to Energy gels?

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:48 pm

not all of them are that bad

some taste quite nice. I generally don't think the Citrus or the Lemon ones taste the best..

the gatorade gels taste amazing.

the ones that are concentrated that requires say 400ml of water after intake is the ones that generally taste bad.

i suggest try a different brand or product.

and definitely i don't recommend buying a pack of 30 when you haven't tried it before. Always try a few and then determine if you would want to buy in bulk or numbers.

in regards to the 28 left, Don't pull the pin yet... i suggest to give it another try. sometimes the first time you try something you may not like but after a few.. you either endure or end up getting used to it.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:02 pm

kman wrote:Had my first taste of energy gel, and OMGosh :shock: Especially when they are all warmed up by my body heat. I felt sick eating them. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with the other 28 packs!! lemon lime flavour tasted nothing like it.

Are there any alternative to energy gel that you guys could suggest?
Food?

For what reason are you needing energy gels? Normal "food" has been a perfectly effective source of energy for millennium until somebody decide to market and sell gels. Gels MAY (OR MAY NOT) be appropriate if you are driving yourself so hard and so long that your digestion system shuts down. But I'd be quite surprised and worried if your riding regularly put you in that territory.

If your body is feeling sick after eating it that should be enough of a sign to tell you NOT to eat it.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:05 pm

Too much sweetness can make you nauseous.

Have a banana! :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:15 pm

RonK wrote:Too much sweetness can make you nauseous.

Have a banana! :lol:
Nature's* energy fruit. Packed with energy, fibre, potassium, magnesium and other essential nutrients. Available from your favourite grocery store.

*Might not be naturally occurring. Might actually be the product of centuries of cultivation. :wink:

westab

Postby westab » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:17 pm

RonK wrote:Have a banana! :lol:
+1 they are the best.

I also like the odd kiwi fruit.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:20 pm

And you can get a banana case on eBay for only a coupla bucks, so it doesn't go all squishy in your pocket.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:22 pm

One peanut butter sandwich, one Vegemite sandwich and a banana. Good for at least a century.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:34 pm

Gels are good for racing or really hard rides when you need to get bulk energy / sugar in fast... Otherwise normal food does the job just fine.
I love my bananas :-) ... But having 6 in my pocket for a 3 hour race isn't practical ... 6 gels take up no space at all. You get used to the sickly sweetness.

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:35 pm

RICE CAKES. OH GOD RICE CAKES.

They are delicious, cheap, and give a great, long lasting energy hit.

Savoury: http://www.denverpost.com/fitness/ci_23 ... ry-easy-an" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sweet: http://feedzonecookbook.files.wordpress ... ecakes.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:17 pm

Mulger bill wrote:One peanut butter sandwich, one Vegemite sandwich and a banana. Good for at least a century.
yeh in australia you mean?
:)

Up And Go, is good too!

jlh

Postby jlh » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Banana and Muesli bar

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Blended dates with whatever else you want in a bidon. If I want a more instant hit for shorter rides I will mix 1/3 raw honey and the rest water. I won't eat super-processed foods such as a gel.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:43 pm

Yep, banana and a muesli bar. I like the OSM (one square meal) bars that sanitarium make because they aren't too sugary and are a bit more filling than a regular type.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:37 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Gels are good for racing or really hard rides when you need to get bulk energy / sugar in fast... Otherwise normal food does the job just fine.
I love my bananas :-) ... But having 6 in my pocket for a 3 hour race isn't practical ... 6 gels take up no space at all. You get used to the sickly sweetness.
This.

Normally on 100km+ rides, I take a banana and one of Cadels energy bars. I also carry a Gatorade gel as backup, but rarely need it. I take two biddons, one with water and with a gatorade solution. I also know where to refill water on my rides. I usually ride on an empty stomach and eat the banana at around the 40 or 50km mark and eat the energy bar at the 70km mark, and I save the gatorade biddon for the last 40km. I rarely need the gel and it just goes back in the fridge or cupboard. Over 100km and I crack the gel.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:39 pm

DoubleSpeeded wrote:Up And Go, is good too!
Hadn't thought of those, might grab a couple...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Pedaling

Postby Pedaling » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:54 pm

+ 1 for dates, and bananas.
water, a pinch of sugar and mineral salt in my bidons, 2 dates and 2 bananas, is all I need for 100k ride.
cheap and taste great.
another post in "training" suggests kids fruit gels, although I have not tried them.

Darrin.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

defy1

Postby defy1 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:08 pm

Dried fruits like sultanas, dates, figs..
Any decent breakfast bar from the supermarket is good.
Fruit cake,nutella/peanut butter/jam sandwich.
I heard boiled/roasted potato is nice too.

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:49 pm

i make my own gel
240grams (60%) organic brown rice syrup
160grams (40%) organic raw honey
1 teaspoon crushed celtic salt
2 crushed magnesium tablets
2 table spoon heap of milo
1 teaspoon instant coffee

unfortunately it still tastes like sports gel but at least I know what's in it.
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:51 am

My race food is bananas early and gels late.

The whole point of a gel is to be able to stuff something in your mouth very quickly, that you can swallow instantly, when you are in the gutter, in a crosswind, with your lungs hanging out and your heart in your forehead.

The reason I like Zipvit gels is because they are really big meaning you can have them less often.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:07 am

Yep.. The only time I use gels is when it's impractical to stop and eat. They are the only food I can eat when on the bike and struggling to breathe. :o

X-ray

Postby X-ray » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:08 am

On rides of around 100 km I take a banana and one or two SPC Fruity Jellies.

The Fruity Jellies are brilliant. They're similar to a gel in terms of consistency and energy but are actually real food (just crushed fruit) - not artificial rubbish like gels. They also come in a sachet with a lid so you don't get sticky fingers! Not to mention they are less than half the price of a gel. :D

kman

Postby kman » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:48 am

pawnii wrote:
unfortunately it still tastes like sports gel but at least I know what's in it.
Oh man this is funny but I agree with knowing whats inside.

defy1 wrote:Dried fruits like sultanas, dates, figs..
Any decent breakfast bar from the supermarket is good.
Fruit cake,nutella/peanut butter/jam sandwich.
I heard boiled/roasted potato is nice too.
I love this idea. :)

DoubleSpeeded wrote: regards to the 28 left, Don't pull the pin yet... i suggest to give it another try. sometimes the first time you try something you may not like but after a few.. you either endure or end up getting used to it.
Not sure if i'm willing to give it another go.. Had two and that's my limit. Might have to put this up for sale soon. GU gels :x

I'm doing 120, 180km rides on weekends hence the thought of getting energy gels. I've never gone that far. On average 60-90km rides but now that i'm going further, I thought I needed something.

Appreciate everyone's suggestions! Thks :wink:

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:02 am

kman wrote:I'm doing 120, 180km rides on weekends hence the thought of getting energy gels. I've never gone that far. On average 60-90km rides but now that i'm going further, I thought I needed something.
On a ride of that distance, why do you need to eat on the bike? Can you really not spare time for a ten minute break for a nature call, replenish your bidons and get something to eat from a shop, servo, bakery or cafe?

I don't carry food or extra water even on longer rides. I can always find a sports drink and some food somewhere along the way.

X-ray

Postby X-ray » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:26 am

RonK wrote:
kman wrote:I'm doing 120, 180km rides on weekends hence the thought of getting energy gels. I've never gone that far. On average 60-90km rides but now that i'm going further, I thought I needed something.
On a ride of that distance, why do you need to eat on the bike? Can you really not spare time for a ten minute break for a nature call, replenish your bidons and get something to eat from a shop, servo, bakery or cafe?

I don't carry food or extra water even on longer rides. I can always find a sports drink and some food somewhere along the way.
+1

Gels are really meant for racing where you need quick energy and can't stop for a bite to eat.

On long rides there is plenty of time to stop to get some real food that will provide sustained energy.