Re: Strawbuger's Racing Log

Postby Strawburger » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:37 pm

Date: 16 June 2013
Venue: Wagga Wagga Criterium
Conditions: ideal, a bit cold :P
Grade: E 25mins + 2 laps
Result: 10/25
Report:

After a lengthy warmup and rugged up, i signed on to the news that the race had been shortened by 5 mins + 1 lap. bummer. We were off and the pace was furious from the start. Attacks came and went but nothing significant. After the first preme a few riders were out ahead. I launched an attack on my own and looked around but no-one followed. I caught a lone rider (the others sat up) and asked how much he had left in him. He sat on my wheel and we pushed the pace for 3 laps. I was starting to tire and was doing most of the work so i sat up, only to find out there was the 2nd preme at the end of the lap (we didn't get the whistle, only the pack did). Bugger! I sat in the first 5 places for the next few laps to recover. I was still feeling strong. With the clock at 24:45 and rolling into the finishing straight i launched another attack with the 4 sponsored girls sitting on the front. One came with me (suzuki) and we had a good distance on the pack. My arm was flapping to get her to work but she didn't have the power and sat on. Getting the bell lap i looked over and saw the Wagga Wagga riders leading out their man (the guy I beat 2 years ago!). I was well aware the girl behind had good legs for the sprint so there was not much i could do. I decided to sit up and wait for the pack. I jumped in and got into a reasonable position and held my spot across the finish line.

dist - 19.2kms
time - 29min 08sec
speed - 39.5km/hr avg
cadence - 92 avg
heart rate - very high (spikes in data)
Power - 226 avg
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:50 am

Thanks for the reports Strawburger. Wagga Wagga is a good event.

I was in the bunch after you in the road race and got shelled very early, as did others. It made for a challenging ride back, especially the 20k or so that I did solo, into the wind. Looking at ride times on Strava afterwards reinforced the impression we'd got that the grading had quite a few anomalies. Still, despite being well down the finishing list, I enjoyed it, particularly the buzz of being with all the other riders, and the course.

I looked at Cycling NSW website, where it said that if a rider wants to discuss their grading, they should talk with their club handicapper. So I dud that after I got home, only to be told that the club doesn't submit grades to CNSW. Hmmm.

On Sunday, we had a similar experience in our D grade crit to yours in terms of unclear whistling for primes. Someone must have swallowed the whistle. Still, it was a fun course and high speed - my fastest crit yet at 42kmh average. The LH corner into a divided road just 100m after the start line was a bit of a squeeze! On our 2nd last lap, I heard a noise behind as we rounded the bend, all packed tightly together, and looked to mg right to see a rider on the other side of the median strip. A long way back from there.

Generally, the event was well-organised and made for an enjoyable two day excursion.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:35 am

MREJ wrote: I looked at Cycling NSW website, where it said that if a rider wants to discuss their grading, they should talk with their club handicapper. So I did that after I got home, only to be told that the club doesn't submit grades to CNSW. Hmmm.
Best thing to to do is email the State handicapper who is responsible for the gradings. He wont mind. He is a lovely bloke and always listens to riders input. PM me and I can give you his email address if you like. Or friend him on facebook.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:54 pm

MREJ wrote:Thanks for the reports Strawburger. Wagga Wagga is a good event.

I was in the bunch after you in the road race and got shelled very early, as did others. It made for a challenging ride back, especially the 20k or so that I did solo, into the wind. Looking at ride times on Strava afterwards reinforced the impression we'd got that the grading had quite a few anomalies. Still, despite being well down the finishing list, I enjoyed it, particularly the buzz of being with all the other riders, and the course.

Still, it was a fun course and high speed - my fastest crit yet at 42kmh average. The LH corner into a divided road just 100m after the start line was a bit of a squeeze! On our 2nd last lap, I heard a noise behind as we rounded the bend, all packed tightly together, and looked to mg right to see a rider on the other side of the median strip. A long way back from there.

Generally, the event was well-organised and made for an enjoyable two day excursion.
Saturday: yes, agree there were a few riders stronger or weaker and in my experience I haven't been in an event that got it right. However I think it is near impossible to get it 100%.

Sunday: D grade was screaming hot. Mikesbytes was in your grade and mentioned it was very fast.

I love wagga and doesn't disappoint.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:07 am

I've been slack with my race updates, will do the crit soon. Got a small piece of video from the crit which shows the speed
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:56 pm

Date: 3 August 2013
Venue: Mudgee Mark Dwyer 100km Handicap
Conditions: windy, a bit cold
Grade: Limit +18mins (scratch +17 mins)
Result: 116/211
Report:

Driving out to Mudgee i thought i better check the handicaps. Hoping for a good one after always battling the wind i have read that i was put up a grade! It was a bittersweet moment... Working hard to get put up a grade is rewarding, however it happening on the hardest race of my season meant it was a tough initiation. Adding an extra 10kms to the race from last year made it tougher!

Got a good warmup in and placed myself next to mikesbytes for the start. We were off through the main town and out past the neutral zone. The pace didn't really change through the first 10kms. Pretty much it was a hard slog the whole way to the first mini climb. Our group of 30 dwindled to 20 as we rose over the mini climb 15km in, losing my compatriot. The pace didn't ease up and a quick glance down at the computer showed my power data going through the roof!

We got to the 2nd climb and the legs were getting better, however i was tailing off the back by the crest. We had dropped the majority of our group and we were down to 8. I caught up and sat in for a bit. One of the locals was yelling encouragement and helping me through. I recovered and rejoined the rolling paceline as we were absolutely flying. I was thinking there is no way i can keep up and these guys are extremely strong riders.

By the turn around point at 50 odd kms we were approaching the group in front, however limit was still 9 mins ahead. The wind was in our faces for the return and with more riders in the group the pace slowed slightly but workrate was lower which helped. A couple of DHBC riders in the group also helped!

The legs were starting to pay the price for the heavy work early and at about 65kms i looked over my shoulder to see the bunch behind approaching. i dropped off the back to get a good run at the tail of this bunch. Well, that was the plan... The legs gave way and i was distanced by myself. :oops: Soon after (about 2 mins), scratch came flying past. No one dropped off so it was a lonely ride for 45mins / 25kms. The legs could hardly function, and to rub it in a friendly magpie decided to say hello to my head several times. Finally a small bunch came past with 9km to go and were riding at a reasonable pace. I jumped on and rolled home with them.

Outclassed? Maybe. Train harder to keep up? Definitely!

dist - 98.5kms
time - 2hrs 46min 26sec
speed - 35.5km/hr avg
cadence - 92 avg
heart rate - 168 avg
Power - 187 avg

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Date: 4 August 2013
Venue: Mudgee Pieter van Gent 85km Scratch
Conditions: windy, drops of rain, coooooooold
Grade: Div 3
Result: 28/66
Report:

I did well at this one last year, however it was a nice 40km 1 lapper. This time around we need to do two. Bummer! The knee was pretty sore from yesterday's race and it didn't really get moving properly until a few mins before race start.

The plan was simple. Sit on, and if i was anywhere close to the pack at the KOM then entertain the idea of having a crack with Mikesbytes leading me out. Unfortunately the last part of the plan disappeared at the same point as yesterday as Mike fell off the pack with half the bunch on the first mini climb after 15kms. The KOM was at approx 23kms and the pace up the first ramp was big. The rise just before the start of the KOM caught a few riders out, i made my way to near the front of the pack. The climbers were edgy. A few attacked. I thought to myself, should i, should i, should i. Ok, i better. But the hesitation was the killer. I had a crack and ended up 7th over the KOM, only a few bike lengths off claiming it. What this did though was separate the
climbers from the others. A mini group of 15 broke away and decended as fast as a bunch of climbers could.... very slowly :lol: The others caught up and the bunch reformed. I sat in the bunch and ended up dropping near the tail.

At the long slow climb at 35km in i was finding myself in wheels that were dropping off the pack. on a couple of occasions i went past them and jumped back onto the peloton however my time was running out. the legs were starting to scream from the KOM effort. I was dropped on the finishing straight but a LACC rider pulled us back into the pack just before the start of lap2. A group of 6 of us at the pack found the pace too high and by that same mini climb that claimed half the pack on lap 1 claimed the 6 of us on lap2. We drove the pace as best we could however the peloton didn't sit up and we were on our own. My legs were pretty much shutting down and i was dropped at the KOM point that i did so well at on lap 1. 55kms wasn't too bad. The difference 40km can make!

Again, i was on my own for the long climb and i had thoughts of stopping, however i didn't want that to happen. I soloed for about 40 mins / 20kms until a small bunch rolled through including one DHBC rider! I sat on until the finishing straight where i was dropped again and rolled home.

Happy with the overall placing, considering i was up a grade. Knowing i can hold my own for longer than i thought is promising for next season!

dist - 86.1kms
time - 2hrs 33min 23sec
speed - 33.7km/hr avg
cadence - 88 avg
heart rate - 160 avg
Power - 179 avg (IF 0.9 before getting dropped)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:48 am

At least you finished both Strawburger and not take the easy way out, good onya. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:10 am

Yeh, sorry about that. As you know "plan" is a 4 lettered word.

Bring on Killa-jon

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:48 pm

Good stuff Mr Strawburger!... Mike , less time dressing up in costumes and more training!... Hehe.

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:20 pm

I think you might have been in the same group as me for the Mark Dwyer Handicap. I got put up at least one grade compared to what we race in Bathurst.

I was one of the ones who went out the back after about 15-20km. The group went out way too quick for me, we were doing about 40-45kmh, I pulled a few turns which was a mistake and that was the end of it! From memory there were a lot of riders from Manly I think shouting and trying to organise people, but a few of them dropped off too.

My excuses are it was too flat and windy! Prefer the steeper hills!

Ah well, I made it to the end and didn't come last!

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:24 pm

What club are you from? I know most of the pure climbers in my division/handicap (know= strava or from races). What other races have you done?

Tough start to mudgee. I think I only got one turn in before hanging out the back before that first climb.

Which reminds me I need to write the kurrajong report

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:23 pm

Strawburger wrote:What club are you from? I know most of the pure climbers in my division/handicap (know= strava or from races). What other races have you done?

Tough start to mudgee. I think I only got one turn in before hanging out the back before that first climb.

Which reminds me I need to write the kurrajong report
I've only raced club level in Bathurst and done the Blayney to Bathurst 70km to date.

I'm a slow B or quick C grade in Bathurst, climb like a B grade rider but not too quick on the flat, I'm pretty tall so think it must be all that wind resistance!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:42 pm

Tarquin, I was in the same bunch as Strawbuger and your description of the Manly riders is consistent with what I remember

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:52 pm

Date: 11 August 2013
Venue: Kurrajong Classic
Conditions: Perfect! not too hot
Grade: Div 3
Result: 10/83 (3rd KOM)
Report:

Climbers revenge! About the only race suited to my abilities, i was pretty excited about this one. After a good warmup with a huge DHBC contingent we got ourselves near the front of the pack for the start. From the gun Mikesbytes attacked, his thinking would have been to get ahead enough to be in the front group at the crest of the climb. The pace was fierce from the start though and the bunch quickly caught Mike just before the decent 3km in. I got myself in a great position for the decent and let rip. By the start of the climb i was boxed in and getting frustrated as the weaker riders were holding their lines. I found a tiny gap and accelerated and passed a lot of riders, finding myself cresting in the top 10 with a lot of climbers. The breakaway bunch was thinking about sitting up so i took control and started barking orders to get working unless we wanted to get caught by the sprinters :P We worked well and the paceline was keeping a good pace with about 15-20 riders. A few others had joined by about midway through the lap and it was time to sit back and assess the situation.

The start of the first lap was almost identical to the first. I was in a great position on the decent but got boxed in by the time the climb started (i suspect by a group behind). I had predetermined a wheel to sit on for the climb and fortunately that guy (CCCC rider) rolled past about a 30sec into the climb. I forced my way onto the wheel and sat on his while we passed a fair few riders. He started to slow as an attack went off the front with two riders. I remained calm and waited as the group was on my wheel. We were down to a group of four riders (with two up front) and i attacked. I dropped the other riders and was out on my own chasing down the two ahead. Metre by metre i closed the gap but i was running out of road. I crested only a few seconds behind the front two and settled for 3rd over the KOM. The two sat up to wait for the bunch so i sat on and waited as well. Damn, missed out on the KOM, the breakaway ceased thus the only good thing about the climb is that it would look good on strava :D

A group of about 25 remained and we rolled on at a really good pace (but not lightning pace) over the rolling terrain. I sat on the back and got some food and water in. A fellow DHBCwas with me and we agreed that the pack was far too big and it will come down to a bunch sprint. I was concerned we weren't setting a good enough pace to hold off the chasers but the longer the race went the more comfort i had in staying away.

With 5km to go the bunch was getting edgy. Remembering back a few years when in a similar situation there was a big crash I got my way up the bunch just in time to avoid a crash just behind me. The sound of sliding carbon is not a nice sound. We continued and the bunch was down to 19. I kept my position on the road but there was some very dangerous moves from one Penrith rider (playing chicken with an oncoming car :roll: ). With two to go the bunch was getting edgy. One rider couldn't wait and attacked with 1km to go. The bunch started to kick and with 500m to go we were into the sprint. A fair way out! I wound up and unleashed my devastating sprint :lol: well, me going slightly faster than normal. I passed a few as they popped and started to reel in the leading sprinters and rolled in only a couple of bike lengths off 1st position.

Very happy with my performance and form especially on the climbs and my nerves has almost disappeared on the descents. Things are looking positive for the NSW champs in a couple of weeks time.

dist - 64.8kms
time - 1hrs 44min 15sec (1hr 43m 59sec official)
speed - 37.3km/hr avg (max 79.6)
cadence - 89 avg
heart rate - 171 avg (192 max)
Power - 174 avg

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:26 pm

Good on ya Stawburger. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:39 am

Date: 6 Sept 13
Venue: NSW State Championships - ITT (22kms)
Conditions: Sunny, warm, windy
Grade: M2
Result: 11th/16
Report:

With only 2 hours of time time trial practice this year i wasn't expecting much in the way of results, however was hoping on an improvement from last year. Looking at the competition i was the only one using my road bike setup with clip on bars, everyone else had TT specific bikes &/or disc/deep rim wheels. In my favour this year was a powermeter though :D

Fortunately Mr Milsostic was an extra minute back this year so my aim was to be at the turn around before he flew past me :lol: Under the guidance of Kev365428 i was off. Trying not to start too fast was very difficult, especially when i watch the dubbo rider ahead of me start to disappear within the first 5 kms. I settled in to deal with the headwind on the way out and got into a great rhythm. As the kms ticked by my confidence grew and by the halfway point only one rider that started behind me had passed (another dubbo rider!). My time to the turn was 21:08 (32.6km/hr), almost 2 1/2mins quicker than last year.

On my return i spotted Milsotic closing in, it was a matter of minutes before he flew past. The tailwind really assisted things and i was motoring! Last year i had problems with steering in the wind, however it wasn't as gusty so i could go full pelt in confidence. Once the tail had past me, i had something to chase. For almost half the return leg i had Milsotic in my sights so in the back of my head i knew i was going better than last year. For the downhill sections i was running out of gearing - 53/12 was not enough. My power numbers on these sections dropped but if i tried sustaining the high numbers throughout i would have blown up for sure! I rolled over the finish line with the back section completed in 15:25 (43.9km/hr) - 30sec slower than last year but a combined time of 36:40 (37.5km/hr) which was 90sec faster that last year! :D

Happy days, an improvement and i didn't finish last. Only 3 seconds outside the top 10 too.

dist - 22.75kms
time - 36min 40sec (official time 36:35)
speed - 37.3km/hr avg (59.4 max)
cadence - 95
heart rate - 179 HR avg (184 max)

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:22 am

Date: 8 Sept 13
Venue: NSW State Championships - Road Race 96kms (3 laps)
Conditions: Sunny, windy
Grade: M2
Result: 20th/53 :D
Report:

The aim for this year was a repeat of last year. Try to hang on as long as possible and hope that i stay on until the last lap. I almost didn't get to the start line as i had noticed that my cassette wasn't installed properly :roll: :oops: I got to the start on time, however there was a 10 min delay due to the masters 1 men riding so slow that the group that started 10 mins behind had caught and overtook them.... The womens 4 race :lol:

Lining up next to me were all sorts of NRS and sponsored riders. The 3 DH and 6 dubbo guys discussed options to ride at the front at 30km/hr blocking any moves - we thought that was pretty fair! :D

We were finally off and the neutral zone was ridden slow this year! I got myself in a good position and once racing commenced one rider popped off the front. By half a lap in 2 other riders were chasing and they soon formed a breakaway bunch of 3. Numerous other attacks came and went but most of these were reeled back in.

Lap 2 was a tame affair in comparison to the other 2 laps. I had placed myself in some great positions and held firm. I was feeling great and was closing down gaps others had left. I chose the right wheels to sit on for the turns and generally the legs were great. By the end of lap 2 the pack (led my Milostic) started getting edgy. The breakaway was still out in from and had a sizable lead. Some riders started dropping off as the pace ramped up and the end of lap 2.

Lap 3 was brutal. I started losing good positions so i made an effort to get to the front. So much surging and by the last turnaround the breakaway had a 45second lead (with 17km to go). Cue Milsotic. At every rise or turn he attacked. The rubber banding through the pack was enormous. I got near to the front and at one point was on Milsotic's wheel. Silly mistake. I sat on and followed one attack. That was more than enough as i fell through the pack close to the back. At the turnaround i was near the back and i left a huge gap which needed closing. I could have given up here but thought i was so close to finishing that i give it everything i had and got back on. Milostic was then riding next to me for a few kms. I asked him what he was doing back here, this is where the strugglers are. He looked at me funny and ignored me. The joke was lost i think. I rested as much as i could for the next 5 mins. More attacks followed and i was attentive to each one (from near the back i could see them coming fortunately). With 5km to go we could see the breakaway. Cue nervous shuffling of the pack to get good positions for the sprint. Approaching 1km to go the pace rose once more, and attacks started. The breakaway was still out but within a few seconds two of the 3 sat up and we gobbled them up. I got myself in a terrible position as the sprint started with about 300m to go. I found some space but didn't have the legs to compete. I passed about 10 riders through determination rather than sheer power. I crossed the line and started the head count. TOP 20!!!!!! woohoo.

Another year of learning experience so next year, fingers crossed, i can compete with the big boys. Congrats to the Manly rider who hung on for the breakaway win. He must have won by only a few bike lengths.

dist - 96.7kms (+2.7km neutral)
time - 2hrs 27min 53sec (neutral time 7:36)
speed - 39.2km/hr avg (64.0 max)
cadence - 88
heart rate - 169 HR avg (187 max)
Power - IF 0.9 :shock:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:56 am

You get stronger every year mate

Having Milsostic 1 minute behind you in the ITT was excellent start position. How do you feel last years weather vs this years weather made a difference in times?

Finishing with the bunch in the road race is another amazing result. Who knows next year you might be one of the attackers.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:44 pm

You're riding smarter each year Stawburger from what I am seeing and if you can do that, then you can bat above you fitness level. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:34 pm

Hey I was in the men's masters 1 race, I take offence to your comments on our first lap! We were caught by womens 1-4.
It was a lovely sedate pace, I found it very enjoyable. :lol:

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:52 pm

Thanks foo & mike. Learning a lot from this forum and the Dhbc riders which I can't thank enough. The people here have pretty much got me the results I have achieved!

Mike, I dunno if I'm ready for your style of attacks. I'll have to harden up somewhat more :)

As for the ITT, looking at the leaders results they went approx 20sec quicker this year. So conditions were slightly more favorable this time round. Assuming all were in similar fitness levels (which looks like it is)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:21 pm

Strawburger wrote:Mike, I dunno if I'm ready for your style of attacks. I'll have to harden up somewhat more :)
I was racing old people. I'm sure I would of struggled in M2

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:45 am

Date: 17 Nov 13
Venue: Ride For Life Crit - Heffron Park
Conditions: Rain, and lots of it!
Grade: C (30min + 3 laps) :oops:
Result: 2nd
Report:

Went on holidays, packed on the kgs, then found out i was starting the Tour of Bright!!! So, lose the kgs, get some fitness back and get out and do some racing. This was one such event. Threw myself in C grade as it was the race before the main event (see next entry). Felt a little bad for entering C grade but as luck would have it most early races were shuffled around due to the conditions.

I had a fellow DHBC rider in the pack (a strong one at that) and we jumped to the front from the start. We controlled the opening few laps of the race then sat back and talked about tactics. I was happy to let the racing begin with 3 laps to go, unless he saw otherwise. We agreed and watched the clock tick down. With 5 laps to go a Randwick BCC rider took off. We looked at each other, decided that was the move and i followed the attack with my mate behind. We rolled turns for one lap and was reeling the Randwick guy back. Unfortunately my fellow DH rider had a front wheel slide on one of the corners. He somehow kept it upright, went through the bushes and got back. I sat up for about 10 seconds, decided he was too far back and went solo. Each lap i was closing in but by the bell lap i was spent and the gap blew out. I rollin in comfortably 2nd, losing out by about 15 seconds to the winner and about 20 seconds to 3rd.

Conditions were poor throughout, thus the average speed was way down.

dist - 23.2kms
time - 41min 26sec
speed - 33.6km/hr avg (48.3 max)
cadence - 95
heart rate - 177 HR avg (189 max)
Power - 224W avg
Last edited by Strawburger on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:54 am