How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

nezumi

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby nezumi » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:35 pm

I ride the M088 (well, for all of two rides so far) but it feels quite comfy.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:22 pm

Perth - Day of inclement weather

I had a commitment to join the Frocks on Bikes ladies for a ride around the river and then over to Vic Par. It was to mark today as International Slow Ride Day.

We met at Sassys on the Swan (my regular coffee stop near the bell tower) for a breakfast special that Carron made up for the group. She managed to get some bike-shaped biscuit cutters so we had themed ginger biscuits to go with the coffee after the main brekky.

While we cut short the amble around the river, it was still a good ride - due to a combination of doing my riding, cutting out the slow ride around South Perth and my well established set of layers and wet weather gear for the winter months.

All in all I still felt fine enough when I got home that I fitted a long section of lattice to my fence.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:35 am

The sun was out for the morning commute today :o can't wait for summer :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Orion

Postby Orion » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:57 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Not familiar with that shoe in particular but some of the Shimano road shoes are like that when brand new. After a few rides the shoes mould to the shape of your foot. If you still have a bit of discomfort in the arch they also have inserts that can be moulded and slip in under the sole of the shoe.
Thanks for the tip. I expected them to be a little uncomfortable at first like all new shoes are. Will give them some time to "bed in" and see how they go.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:28 pm

Beautiful spring morning in Perth.
<removed by request>

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:01 pm

Multihop commute back on Friday. Whacked my left kneecap against the end of the drops trying to power away out of a bike box to claim the lane further along. Left foot didn't clip in properly and slid off the top of the pedal. Kneecap ached for the rest of the ride.
Missed the rain this morning, but the roads were soaked from a previous shower, so the net-result in terms of bike sparkliness is the same...all grimed up again.
Looking a bit grim for this afternoon too....
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:42 pm

Wet ride to work this morning. First wet commute in months. At least I got to try my new SKS longboard mudguards. Perfect they were. No crap on my shoes or drivetrain.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:02 pm

It was a gorgeous morning in Perth, made all the better by the decent tailwind for travelling south, so smashed a few strava PB's as well

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Absolutely saturated on the way home. Was expecting the rain a bit later in the day, so was a bit caught out kit wise... Saw only two other cyclists, one looking very grumpy and the other on an ebike who was very cheery and replied to my g'day.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:05 pm

was up to my knees in water this evening! flooded bike path. have probably ruined a few components after that effort :x

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:25 am

Somewhat damp in Melbourne this evening.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:13 am

after the storm last night in Brissy there was debris everywhere. I reported a massive shrub/bush over the centenary mwy bikepath at fig tree pocket. turns out they are managed by TMR, not BCC.

VRE

Postby VRE » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:48 am

jules21 wrote:was up to my knees in water this evening! flooded bike path. have probably ruined a few components after that effort :x
I enjoyed having the MYT and KCT almost to myself, without the fair-weather numpties around. I think I only saw about 5 other cyclists in 20km of shared path.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:09 am

VRE wrote:
jules21 wrote:was up to my knees in water this evening! flooded bike path. have probably ruined a few components after that effort :x
I enjoyed having the MYT and KCT almost to myself, without the fair-weather numpties around. I think I only saw about 5 other cyclists in 20km of shared path.
Pretty wild out there yesterday for sure.

The first 20km of the ride back via MYT and DCT was done in drizzle to light rain, the last 20km in moderate to heavy rain. The accumulated water in my boots started squelching through my toes with every pedal stroke for the final 5km or so. There were a good number of peds and joggers around on the inner city stretch of the MYT, but thinned out towards the outskirts.
Managed to dry everything out overnight, and had no rain on the way into the Melbourne CBD. Roads were still very wet though, and the Darebin Creek was a roaring torrent of water.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

kb

Postby kb » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:04 am

Got pretty wet on the way to choir last night. The ride was actually quite a fun 40mins but I arrived slightly late and spent the next hour sitting in my wet clothes before break.

Forgot to take my clothes to work this morning. Will have to remember to replace the emergency spares.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:29 am

Walking from Work to Home yesterday and Home to Work to today. I have sold my commute bike and still building my commute/rain bike :cry:

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:30 am

I nearly didnt ride today....had it been raining, even just spitting, I would have bailed and taken the car. The ride home yesterday was a soaker of a ride...started at the office door and didnt finish until I got home. Tried drying shoes and bootie covers as best as I could overnight but everything, especially the helmet was still wet this morning. Did not enjoy putting a cold wet helmet on the head at all.

This morning was wet roads but no rain...hopefully it stays that way.

Had some numnuts this morning also..obviously they have recently found their horn and like playing with it long and hard.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:46 am

jasonc wrote:after the storm last night in Brissy there was debris everywhere. I reported a massive shrub/bush over the centenary mwy bikepath at fig tree pocket. turns out they are managed by TMR, not BCC.
someone took a pic of the shrub/bush i saw

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:04 am

Wet and blustery on the way home last night, got drenched. When I set out from work and crossed Albert St, saw a guy riding in a Velomobile and all I could think was "well, aren't you so dry and comfy in your velo" :lol: as I rode on becoming increasingly soaked and convincing myself that it was more extreme to ride when you're soaked than if I was dry.....

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:24 pm

ThIs mornings commute has me almost considering mudguards. Still finding bits of mud I missed in the shower at work this morning

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Perth:

It is just as well that I started out with the aim o riding to work at a faster than normal clip. It was suficient to make up for the many times that I had to don or take off the pancho.
Cold all the way but less so than yesterday. But good spells interspersed with squalls or showers pretty much fomr the moment I left at 5:40 to when I arrived at work at 8:00.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:45 pm

FuzzyDropbear wrote:Wet and blustery on the way home last night, got drenched. When I set out from work and crossed Albert St, saw a guy riding in a Velomobile and all I could think was "well, aren't you so dry and comfy in your velo" :lol: as I rode on becoming increasingly soaked and convincing myself that it was more extreme to ride when you're soaked than if I was dry.....
Ah yes - the Velomobile is magnificent in any weather but simply sublime in the wet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dMJDXS-3LU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thrilloilogy

Postby Thrilloilogy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:52 pm

I don't mind commuting in the rain. But when you get to work, and the hot water is broken in the shower it leads to great disappointment.

Can someone please explain the scientific principle to me of how cold water is colder than the room temperature?

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:52 pm

Rhubarb wrote:
Ah yes - the Velomobile is magnificent in any weather but simply sublime in the wet.
I do see the point. Lol. I like the idea of them, makes a lot of sense, I'd be worried around Ballarat that driver's wouldn't see it and just run into it. :-(

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:57 pm

Its the most visible bike ever !!!!