Volagi Liscio (Gen 2) build thread

MichaelB

Re: Volagi Liscio (Gen 2) build thread

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:33 pm

The seals from Hytech arrived as promised today, and they look 100% :D

Then sourced the remaining o-rings (4 off in 3 different sizes) from CBC. I had to buy 25 of each to meet the minimum order qty .... a whole $2.60 to $2.80 for 25 of each size, so another $10 in total :roll:

Just waiting on the next hose kit which should leave in a day or two, and then I'll start doing some seal swapping and hose routing :mrgreen:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:49 pm

A quick teaser of the next stage of the franken brake system ....

Front setup

Rear setup

You can clearly see how the different hose entry massively improves the hyd hose routing :D

Pad sizes - Parabox pads are on teh left (Front is top & Rear is lower) and Avid's are on the right

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:01 am

FINALLY !!!!

Got some time in the shed last night, and did the seal conversion and trial fitment (still waiting one one hose assembly and a bit more time).

Here is a pic of the calipers in the changeover process - pretty simple and easy, but a bit of MacGyvering req'd to get the pistons out of the housing !!!

A pic of the rear caliper mounted - you can see the huge improvement in the hose routing (prev was on the outside of the chainstay and causing a minor heel strike issue occasionally)

A pic of the front caliper - actually the hyd line sort of interferes with the mudguard plastic mount doohickey, so may need to get a replacement stay and dicth the plastic doover ???

cobba

Postby cobba » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:11 pm

What's the extra washer for between the caliper and the adapter on the front brake ?
Is it a Avid adapter ?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:22 pm

cobba wrote:What's the extra washer for between the caliper and the adapter on the front brake ?
Is it a Avid adapter ?
Bloody adaptors ..... :twisted:

Issue initially was trying to get the correct length bolts, but the way all of the different adaptors are specced/described/labelled, it's a bit of a nightmare. I'll soon be changing the front.

The extra washer was two-fold - stop bolt bottoming out, and to make sure the pad had the best alignment with the Parabox calipers.

Pics above are just dummy fit to check on hose alignment, which looks REALLY good :mrgreen:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:07 am

[sigh]

Still waiting on the 2nd hose kit, but hopefuilly will arrive soon. Was posted from US on 29th June, so keeping fingers crossed it arrives tomorrow ....

Sent back the 'Plan B' for a refund - it was the Hope V-Twin with the M4 calipers. Interestingly, the system (calipers, pads, hoses and converter unit) weighed about the same as the TRP Parabox.

Anyway, before I sent it back, I got a couple of crappy pics to show the difference between the Avid calipers I'll be using and the Hope M4's

You can see that the M4 caliper is quite a bit bigger, and in the end wouldn't have worked as well as the Avids due to the hose routing, so that was a win.

Pad size between both was pretty similar, with the Avid X0's being 32 x 14mm, whilst the Hope M4 was 34 x 13mm (the Parabox fronts were 29 x 13 mm).

As an aside, have had a few more km with the jagwire pads in the Parabox calipers. The fronts are brilliant, and the rears are pretty good, but need a bit of warming up to get to their best.

Certainly worth considering if you want to try semi-metallic pads. Price was good (around the $20 odd delivered per caliper).

Ooroo for now

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:33 am

Finally :roll: the second Avid hose kit arrived frrom the US.

Was posted on the 29th June. Took 12 days to get from Kansas to Chicago, and then another 12 to get on my desk .... :shock:

At least, it wasn't the usual ridiculous US postal costs ...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:46 am

:mrgreen:

Conversion done and all good to a point.

:|

Brake fluid and brake pads don't mix .... :roll:

The rears are fine, but the front still have a bit of contamination, but gradually clearing it up.

Short flat ride last night, first one for 3 weeks, so may get out again tonight to do some more bedding in.

So far so good, but took a bit of stuffing around with the bleeding to get it right.

Hose routing is great, so looking pretty good so far.

Pics to come

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:42 am

And pics

:D

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:30 am

Michael, I came across the Liscio recently while researching endurance bikes, and recalled this thread. The Liscio would seem to suit my purposes on many levels, and I would be interested to get an owners perspective.

Read through the thread and all the discussion about build and brakes but can't see much comment about the bike overall.

So what is your take on the bike? The quality, finish, ride, handling, value etc.? That kinda stuff...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:26 am

RonK wrote:Michael, I came across the Liscio recently while researching endurance bikes, and recalled this thread. The Liscio would seem to suit my purposes on many levels, and I would be interested to get an owners perspective.

Read through the thread and all the discussion about build and brakes but can't see much comment about the bike overall.

So what is your take on the bike? The quality, finish, ride, handling, value etc.? That kinda stuff...
Hi Ron,

There was going to be a BNA writeup some time ago, but was aksed to hold off by the importer, as he had a review coming up in RIDE magazine, which if you read it (current issue) doesn't tell you much at all.

I'll happily summarise here, and happy to answer any other questions by PM, post or any other means.

Quality & Finish : Pretty good, given that it isn't ahuge volumer manufacturer. One thing I did think that could be done better was the fit of the BB cover plate - didn't quite have the best fit, but it's a non visible part, and is a really minor sticking point. Frame is UD weave, so has that sort of marble effect (which I like). No probs noticed re fit & finish of decals, and other items supplied (I bought a Frame, Fork, seatpost and headset combo). There is a clear coat over the decals, so they'll last a bit longer.

Ride & Handling : Bloody brilliant. It's not a rolls royce ride, and is actually quite firm, but not jarring. Surefooted is the best way to describe it. I run 25C tyres (at 100 psi rear and 90 front, but I'm 95 kg) on 24mm wide rims, so that contributes as well. The steering isn't twitchy nor dull, but the best way that I can descridbe it is that it knows it's way around corners, and is quite confidence inspiring, and makes you feel safe huirtling down your favourite descent. Very similar to the DeRosa that I tested recently, a bit different, but damned good. NMid corner bumps dont induce speed wobbles nor upest the trajectory, so it's pretty stable.

Value : At $2.4k, it ain't a cheap frame, BUT, it is the ONLY road disc frame that can take 25C tyres and full SKS Chromoplastic type mudguards, or straight 28C tyres. It also has full internal routing of all cables, has battery mounts for EPS and Di2 systems, and built up really well (even for a semi-novice like me) and easily.

The support from the guys in the States and locally has been brilliant, and there is only one thing I don't like about the bike that I have. And that's I wanted the same style at what I have, but with the red pinstripe (rather than the white).

It took me almost 2 1/2 years to get it, but have now done over 3,000km with no issues, and I love it.

If you are ever in Adelaide, happy to let you come and have a look/ride.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks Michael. Pez Cycling have a favourable review of the Liscio here, but it always good to hear from somebody who actually had to stump up the cash so they could ride one of these.

Only at the gestation stage yet, but I'm thinking Ultegra Di2 6870 with the new R785 hydro brakes and maybe the RX31 wheels or the E7 Ignite XL wheels and generator.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:58 pm

About to put a PD-8 generator hub on mine. Their wheels are nice, but very pricey, too pricey I reckon

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:34 am

MichaelB wrote:About to put a PD-8 generator hub on mine. Their wheels are nice, but very pricey, too pricey I reckon
Get the SD-8 if you haven't already purchased.

No point getting the "28-inch" version with todays LED lights, save the weight/resistance.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:53 am

Blakeylonger wrote:
MichaelB wrote:About to put a PD-8 generator hub on mine. Their wheels are nice, but very pricey, too pricey I reckon
Get the SD-8 if you haven't already purchased.

No point getting the "28-inch" version with todays LED lights, save the weight/resistance.
Already have it sitting on the desk, and besides, it's the one recommended for the lights I'm using.

The weight difference/resistance difference is 4/5th of SFA, as I'm not a whippet, and a biit of extra resistance will make the ride burn mo0re fat anyway :D

:roll:

Back to the comment for RonK re the wheelsets - I built up my own using Farsports 29er Carbon clincher rims, Circus Monkey hubs and Pillar bladed spokes and alloy nipples. The whole setup cost less than $600, and weighed in at 1,421g which is not bad for 32 spoke rear and 28 spoke front.

With the new dyno, it cost $126 for the hub and another $60 for the new spokes and nipples (with spares), and weight will be about 950g fro the front.

Overall, going to a dyno hub actually saves weight :shock: compared to the Magic Shine light (F&R) setup with the batteries !!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:56 am

RonK wrote:Thanks Michael. Pez Cycling have a favourable review of the Liscio here, but it always good to hear from somebody who actually had to stump up the cash so they could ride one of these.

That Pez review is of the Gen 1 frame (130mm rear spacing, external gear cables, and only internal routing for the brake cabling ) rather than the current Gen 2 which I have.

If I could afford it, I'd buy a 2nd one as a playtoy :D

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

MichaelB wrote:
Overall, going to a dyno hub actually saves weight :shock: compared to the Magic Shine light (F&R) setup with the batteries !!!
But, but, but dyno's are ancient technology man, they slow you down and all that, you wont be able to keep up, they don't belong on a cool road bike :roll:

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:24 am

Ahh well, too late, it's not a big difference, I agree, but given the option I'll take the free savings.
MichaelB wrote: and besides, it's the one recommended for the lights I'm using.
STVZO laws make them say that. IRL, any "20-inch" version is more than sufficient. I have a SON20R on a 584BSD wheel that powers an IQ Cyo at full brightness from low speeds, I'll be building up an SD-8 for a Luxos on 622 BSD in the next couple of months.

If you're commuting through Berlin on your Gazelle at super low speeds or running multiple headlights and drawing power for charging, different story.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:32 am

Blakeylonger wrote:Ahh well, too late, it's not a big difference, I agree, but given the option I'll take the free savings.
MichaelB wrote: and besides, it's the one recommended for the lights I'm using.
STVZO laws make them say that. IRL, any "20-inch" version is more than sufficient. I have a SON20R on a 584BSD wheel that powers an IQ Cyo at full brightness from low speeds, I'll be building up an SD-8 for a Luxos on 622 BSD in the next couple of months.

If you're commuting through Berlin on your Gazelle at super low speeds or running multiple headlights and drawing power for charging, different story.
With a proliferation of electronic devices, this is precisely what many want to do - lights are a secondary consideration, and likely rarely used anyway.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:43 pm

Volagi are now looking at additing a Ti version to the range

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/09/16/ib1 ... ke-coming/

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:51 pm

I know the bowed stays are part of the comfort for this bike, but I just can't get my head around the aesthetics.