Need Advice on Choosing First Road Bike

lionelong

Need Advice on Choosing First Road Bike

Postby lionelong » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:14 am

I'm planning to get a road bike, just to get some exercise and ride with my mates during the weekend.
Did some research on entry level bike and with budget of $1000-1200, I have 2 bikes under my radar.

a. 2013 Fuji Sportif 1.1
b. 2013 Scott Speedster S30

Any owns one of this bike? Appreciate if you can share your experience.
Spending over S1k for a bike is a huge for me, so hoping to get the right one.

Looking forward to hear some advice from the pros. Thanks !

cowled

Re: Need Advice on Choosing First Road Bike

Postby cowled » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:04 am

lionelong wrote:I'm planning to get a road bike, just to get some exercise and ride with my mates during the weekend.
Good on you. Personally, I'd recommend you buy 2nd hand. That way you can pick up a much better bike for the the same money, or just save money for that moment you decide you really love riding and want a shiny new bike.

My first bike was a Trading Post $200 steely that was about 30yold. There are a lot of good quality 2nd hand bikes out there being sold by folks who want an upgrade to a new model. $1000 should get you a high end bike from say 10 years ago.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

lionelong

Postby lionelong » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:41 am

Hi cowled, thanks for your reply. Basically, I got store credit which I cannot get a cash refund, so I will have to buy from the shop. By googling around and looking at what the shop's stock availability, I narrowed it down to 2 bikes above. Would appreciate some opinions which one to get.

cowled

Postby cowled » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:58 am

lionelong wrote:Hi cowled, thanks for your reply. Basically, I got store credit which I cannot get a cash refund, so I will have to buy from the shop. By googling around and looking at what the shop's stock availability, I narrowed it down to 2 bikes above. Would appreciate some opinions which one to get.
In that case I'd recommend you take them both for a test ride. I have no experience with the bikes you're looking at, so I can't offer any advice. See if you can get a feel for how each bike performs in a range of situations such as cornering, climbing and riding flat out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:19 am

from what I can tell, these are the models:

http://australia.fujibikes.com/bike/details/sportif-11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shimano tiagra eqipped except for oval crank

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102297267" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shimano tiagra equipped bike

+1 to riding them both. what are you going to be doing with the bike?

lionelong

Postby lionelong » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:25 pm

Hi Jasonc, basically i want to ride it with my mates during the weekend. I'm hoping to get a good entry level bike that will last me years. I don't think i will spend any further to upgrade it in the future.

I also don't want to get a bike that i will kick myself later on when I feel performance the limitation (hopefully I'm getting better on riding and have higher expectation). That's why I'm eyeing Tiagra instead of Sora. So, I'm torn between Scott Speedster 30 and Sportif 1.1

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:41 pm

lionelong wrote:Hi Jasonc, basically i want to ride it with my mates during the weekend. I'm hoping to get a good entry level bike that will last me years. I don't think i will spend any further to upgrade it in the future.
heard that before
So, I'm torn between Scott Speedster 30 and Sportif 1.1
both will do what you want. so ride both and choose the one that makes you want to ride more

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:01 pm

They're called 'entry level' for a reason. They 'could' last years if you stuck with them, but really they're just giving you a taste of what might be with a better wheelset... better frame... better groupset...

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:38 pm

I had a Scott speedster S30 for a couple of years. It's a great bike for the money and the Tiagra gear was faultless. The wheels were a tad heavy but all bikes at this price range will have low end wheels.
If anyone tells you you need Dura-ace or Ultegra don't listen. The Tiagra and 105 stuff is fine.

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:44 pm

Hmm Fuji bikes seem to be rare here.. not many suppliers near by area...

even though Scott is a Swiss brand... and Fuji was japanese and got bought out by a company in USA i heard...

but im assuming ... all these bikes are Made in China or Taiwan and then branded?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:21 pm

DoubleSpeeded wrote:Hmm Fuji bikes seem to be rare here.. not many suppliers near by area...

even though Scott is a Swiss brand... and Fuji was japanese and got bought out by a company in USA i heard...

but im assuming ... all these bikes are Made in China or Taiwan and then branded?
Depends - some manufacturers do the high-end models in house and farm the cooking variety out to one of the mass producers. A bit of research can usually uncover the specifics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:48 pm

+1 with riding both and see which one feels the best (to you) to ride.

They will both serve the purpose you're looking for and as long as you keep up the required maintenance there is no reason why the bikes cannot give you years of service.

You WILL find that as your cycling abilities improve and (assuming) you become a cycling tragic like the rest of us here, it won't take long at all before minor upgrades begin and before long you will be eyeing off more expensive bikes (and trying to figure out where you can get the money to pay for one) :-)

For now, the bike that feels the nicest to ride and fits you well is the best bike to get - not the name brand that is stuck on the downtube.

It is equally important to make sure that the shop fits the bike to you before you leave the shop.
They should make sure the bars, stem and seat are adjusted so it feels comfortable for you to ride.
After the bike is taken for its first few rides you will start to feel if something doesn't feel right (or if you are experiencing any pain anywhere). Note down these things and when you go back for the 1st (usually free) service, to adjust the gears etc due to cable stretch, tell them about anything that doesn't feel right and they should help you readjust the fit accordingly to (hopefully) improve it.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:54 pm

DoogleDave wrote:+1 with riding both and see which one feels the best (to you) to ride.

They will both serve the purpose you're looking for and as long as you keep up the required maintenance there is no reason why the bikes cannot give you years of service.

You WILL find that as your cycling abilities improve and (assuming) you become a cycling tragic like the rest of us here, it won't take long at all before minor upgrades begin and before long you will be eyeing off more expensive bikes (and trying to figure out where you can get the money to pay for one) :-)

For now, the bike that feels the nicest to ride and fits you well is the best bike to get - not the name brand that is stuck on the downtube.

It is equally important to make sure that the shop fits the bike to you before you leave the shop.
They should make sure the bars, stem and seat are adjusted so it feels comfortable for you to ride.
After the bike is taken for its first few rides you will start to feel if something doesn't feel right (or if you are experiencing any pain anywhere). Note down these things and when you go back for the 1st (usually free) service, to adjust the gears etc due to cable stretch, tell them about anything that doesn't feel right and they should help you readjust the fit accordingly to (hopefully) improve it.

Dave
This & this. Good post dave.

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:12 am

Both bikes have similar kit.. But I'd sway to the Scott. The geo is neither racer or comfort bike, more somewhere in between so it can be tweaked to your preferences the more you get into it. The Speedster also has newness on its side as the model was revamped a year or 2 ago, with the Kamm profile aero Downtube added. I just think the Scott offers more potential options for use over the sportif with its high head tube..

Last point is that Scotts keep value better and re sell quite well.. should you need to part ways and get an upgrade in the future :)

lionelong

Postby lionelong » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:20 pm

Thanks guy, I'm leaning towards Scott too. Thanks Dave and TMjpn for your valuable advice.