Giant Cadex 980c Build - Ultra Budget and Lightweight

munga

Re: Giant Cadex 980c Build - Ultra Budget and Lightweight

Postby munga » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:20 pm

"lisa needs braces"

Dan

Postby Dan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Even famous people have bad teeth, though.

PeppeX

Postby PeppeX » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:19 am

Quang I was just wondering how did you strip the paint and clear coat off the bike? I just bought a Cadex 2 and would interested in restoring like you did.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:30 am

PeppeX wrote:Quang I was just wondering how did you strip the paint and clear coat off the bike? I just bought a Cadex 2 and would interested in restoring like you did.
It's in my other thread.
viewtopic.php?t=63325#p953304" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm looking forward to seeing yours.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

PeppeX

Postby PeppeX » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:10 pm

Where you do find such cheap and good condition parts! Carbon wheels for $50!!!!

Was your clear coat from a can or did you have a spray gun?

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:18 pm

PeppeX wrote:Where you do find such cheap parts! Cracked carbon wheels for $50!!!!
Fixed that for you.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:04 pm

PeppeX wrote:Where you do find such cheap and good condition parts! Cracked carbon wheels for $50!!!!
You forgot to add future medical expenses.
Not such a bargain...

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:05 pm

PeppeX wrote:Where you do find such cheap and good condition parts! Carbon wheels for $50!!!!

Was your clear coat from a can or did you have a spray gun?
Cheap, but not in good condition at all. The rear wheel has a crack at one of the spokes, and its about 2cm long. It's more a bulge. Been riding for about 550km on the wheels. But the rest of the parts were in good condition, and cheap. Pretty much all sourced off eBay and Gumtree. In the near future, I will get a new set of wheels, or replace the rims.

As for the paint, I sprayed with a 0.2mm airbrush. Would've been quicker if I had a larger nozzle, or even better, a spray gun.

Anyway, random pic dump. The bike now runs GP 4 seasons. Once these die, skinwalls are going on them.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:19 pm

That just a $#(AT)!&^/ nice machine!
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:30 pm

QuangVuong wrote:In the near future, I will get a new set of wheels, or replace the rims.
Good to hear. We're just trying to protect you Quang :!: From the guy who broke his collar bone on a fixed gear bicycle with home made track dropouts...

Nice to see a labour of love anyway, well done with the finishing touches. Mmmm, Rolls. 8)

lloyd83

Postby lloyd83 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:37 pm

QuangVuong wrote: Once these die, skinwalls are going on them.
What skinwalls do you have in mind? I'm pleased with my recent fitment of Veloflex Masters with latex tubes. They're 320TPI and I got them a little cheaper than Open Corsas (probably manufactured from the same factory?) I'll see if I get any PBs with these faster tyres/tubes :mrgreen:

RE: replacement rims, are you considering some China carbon rims to keep with the budget?

ps. Sam, I thought beers were to blame :wink:
1972 LeJeune World Champion - Nuovo Record
1980's Hendry custom built - Tricolour 600
1995 Serotta Legend Ti - SRAM Red

PeppeX

Postby PeppeX » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:51 pm

If I was to change from downtube shifter to brake integrated shifters I need downshift cable stoppers.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SHIMANO-STI- ... 4ac8e99b17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where did you source your ones from? Did you get it from Australia or somewhere oveaseas? Not too keen on sourcing overseas as it takes a long time to get it and things get lost.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Mine came with the frame. Wiggle has them, and they arrive quite quick, for a pretty good price. I do know that a mate picked up a pair of the Dura Ace version(same as what Ive got) from Peter Bundy in Riverwood. Check your LBS if theyve got it, otherwise, online will be the way to go. Its not often that things go missing. There are barely any scammer on eBay now, and shipping is reliable, regardless where it comes from.

Lloyd, they arent true skin walls, but its got a very supple sidewall. Theres barely any rubber on the sidewall, and the casing is visible. Arrived NOS from France, together with some vintage stamps as well, 98 France World Cup. Ive got a pair on the Centurion, a pair to replcae the current tyres, and the last pair to go onto my next build.

dayne

Postby dayne » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:03 pm

It has come up nice, BUT you are a time bomb waiting to happen with those wheels,
To be honest if you turned up to any of my rides with those wheels i would ask you to leave as would most groups
I hope you only ride alone as to ride with others is just plain selfish and irresponsible and is also leaving you open to huge liability as you know there is a fault so you are to blame if there is a crash.

Either ride them on your own or don't ride stuff you cant afford to buy in a non broken state.

I know this may come across rude but cycling has gone soft these days and no one wants to "upset" any one, im not trying to ruffle feathers but it is just stupid, just get some non broken carbon wheels if thats what you want.

munga

Postby munga » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:05 pm

dayne, quang doesn't seem to much care what others say - always treading that fine line between enthusiasm and naivety..

quang, i think your bikes are, for the most part, attractive, but personally i think you're much better behind the lens than in front of a workbench.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:42 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:That just a $#(AT)!&^/ nice machine!
I'd agree with this if the poster was capable of reasonable grammar and spelling :wink:
Oh, and swap out the Rolls for a Swallow Ti 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:59 am

QV, replace that rim with an H+Son SL42 in flat black. If that rim is an Alex ACF40 (which I strongly suggest it is) then you would probably be able to re-use the spokes as well.

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:54 am

dayne wrote:It has come up nice, BUT you are a time bomb waiting to happen with those wheels,
To be honest if you turned up to any of my rides with those wheels i would ask you to leave as would most groups
I hope you only ride alone as to ride with others is just plain selfish and irresponsible and is also leaving you open to huge liability as you know there is a fault so you are to blame if there is a crash.

Either ride them on your own or don't ride stuff you cant afford to buy in a non broken state.

I know this may come across rude but cycling has gone soft these days and no one wants to "upset" any one, im not trying to ruffle feathers but it is just stupid, just get some non broken carbon wheels if thats what you want.
I don't think that's rude at all. I read it as common sense in the face of enthusiastic naïveté.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:20 pm

lloyd83 wrote: RE: replacement rims, are you considering some China carbon rims to keep with the budget?

ps. Sam, I thought beers were to blame :wink:
Chinese carbon rims are still quite expensive. Itll be at least $300 to get them. Im thinking I might go with Velo13's suggestion of the H+Sons. Its much heavier, but I wont have the worry of them breaking. However, if I come across cheap carbon rims, then that'll be the way Ill go.
dayne wrote:It has come up nice, BUT you are a time bomb waiting to happen with those wheels,

No, it doesnt seem rude to me. I often do ride alone, and only with the retro group once a month. I do know that these wheels are dangerous, and will break one day. I have chosen to ride with them at my own risk, and have only brought it out on at most 3 rides with others. But I am going to get them replaced most likely by the end of the year.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:46 pm

QuangVuong wrote:ps. Sam, I thought beers were to blame :wink:
The beer played a part in it, but so did a long hill, and riding fixed gear with little experience and no foot retention and inappropriate shoes.
To quote Dan, it came down to "enthusiastic naïveté". I was just pointing out that I took a risk that night, I made my own serious misjudgement, and I totally payed the price for it. And there is nothing worse than staring at the roof of a hospital emergency ward while waiting to have surgery, and knowing that it all could have so easily avoided had you just grabbed a different bike. It makes such a tiny difference to your ride whether you use those wheels or another set, and the bike will look good regardless, but it just might just save you and your family a hell of a lot of pain and inconvenience or worse.

PeppeX

Postby PeppeX » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:49 pm

I got a Cadex 2 with rx100 groupset. My cassette is 7 speed 23-13t, was wondering if anyone knows what's the biggest cassette I will be able to use with the rx100 derailluer? I ride alot of hills, will a 11-32t 8 speed work?

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:21 pm

The Rx100 RD will fit a 28t cog. I use mine with a 11-28t 8 speed cassette. But when changing to 8 speed, make sure your hub will support it. 8/9/10 and 11 speeds require different sized hubs, which are longer than a 7 speed hub.

Now, if you have the long cage version RD, then you are able to run a bigger cassette.

PeppeX

Postby PeppeX » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:35 pm

Sorry a bit new to the bike scene. How do I know if the hub will support 8 speed cassette? I thought rx100 was compatible with 7 and 8 speed.

Also for shifters, am I able to just use any shifter? E.g. 10 speed shifter 105?

QuangVuong

Giant Cadex 980c Build - Ultra Budget and Lightweight

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:42 pm

Depends on which generation RX100 hub you've got. It sounds like you have the early 7s model. Look at the hub and cassette, and if the current cassette is there without a spacer, then you have a 7 speed freehub.

Now, if you want to get a larger 7s cassette and also run integrated levers, PM me, and I should be able to sort you out. I've got spare RSX levers and may have a cassette to suit.

Shifters will need to match cassettes. Each click will set the cable pull relative to a gear. You won't be able to use a 10s shifter on a 8s cassette. However, you can use a 10s cassette out the back and chuck out a few of the cogs so that it can fit onto the freehub. Doing this will allow you to use 10s shifters, but you still are limited to probably 8 of the 10 gears.

Joe H

Postby Joe H » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:22 pm

I'm just back from some extensive travel but I thought I'd say that I've seen and handled the rims and ridden with Quang on them and if I were younger and single (I'm 51 with family) I'd ride them. They are dodgy but hardly death traps, and the wheels are not short of spokes either. The hubs alone were worth the money. I've ridden a lot of damaged stuff in my early mountain biking days and compared to that craziness, these are not at all scary. I wouldn't race them on the Paris-Roubaix but for what the retro rides are, I'll draft you QV.

Joe