Brake light

ioneng

Brake light

Postby ioneng » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:26 pm

I always worry about getting hit from behind when I slow down in traffic, especially when turning right on a decline. So I googled bike brake light and found this:
http://www.lucidbrake.com
It's an accelerometer controlled device, so no wires for extra sensors. They also claim that the circuit board is total water proof, but I can't tell how they insulate the battery terminals.
From what I saw on the youtube clip, It might be a worthy safety upgrade. What do you guys think?

human909

Re: Brake light

Postby human909 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:08 pm

Battery largely terminals don't need to be insulated from water. In general, water isn't a big short circuit risk in simple low voltage devices but it is bad for corrosion reasons.

zero

Postby zero » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:45 pm

If I need to make a right or a left turn, I make a right or a left turn signal. Its equally well understood. There is a great deal of experimental evidence than when I make the right turn into my driveway, by buffering full right approximately 50m before I turn, and having my arm out for some seconds, that motorists reliably figure out what it is that I want to do - and I've sampled this over 1000 times at night - have been waited for many times, left passed safely occasionally and right passed in a thoroughly illegal move only once). I've not ever come close to being rear ended doing it.

in the case of emergency braking, it is not particularly difficult for a motorist to see around me and thus understand why I'm braking, and motorists generally underestimate cycle speed, so for the most part if you are clearly in their way, they generally deal with it.

The only time I do anything that might confuse a motorist is when I'm in the far left lane, the 2 middle lanes are not moving, and I slow to avoid hitting an unseen pedestrian or an unseen right turner at intersections, for which I use the legally approved stop signal - and do very obvious looking pantomine to manage the idiot behind me (which is often a taxi, not exactly the most patient of drivers in Sydney).

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:59 pm

I reckon brake lights wouldn't hurt in the bunch rides esp in the dark

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

ioneng

Postby ioneng » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:14 pm

human909 wrote:Battery largely terminals don't need to be insulated from water. In general, water isn't a big short circuit risk in simple low voltage devices but it is bad for corrosion reasons.
Yes, corrosion is what I'm worried about.