Malvern Star Skidstar GT and Speedwell GTS serial numbers

bicyclepassion

Malvern Star Skidstar GT and Speedwell GTS serial numbers

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:19 pm

I have collected a few serial numbers for the Malvern Star Skidstar GT model, and am trying to accurately date them.

If you own one of these bikes, or see one somewhere, could you send in the serial number please.

If we get enough numbers on a list, and one or two with known purchase dates, we may be able to pin down the production dates of the rest of them.

I am assuming that 'Speedwell GTS' numbers will follow a similiar pattern, so I am also seeking records for these.

There are two versions of these bikes, commonly referred to as Mark One and Mark Two.

The Mark One's have the serial number vertically on the right hand rear dropout. These bikes have old fashioned 'D' shaped chainstays and front fork blades, pressed ends front and rear, seat stays bolted on at the rear fork ends, separate top and bottom head lugs, a plastic star in the head tube, and stars on either side of a standard Malvern Star painted fork crown.

The Mark Two's have a serial number on a white vinyl sticker under the bottom bracket. These have a 'Unit' bottom bracket (cartridge type), forward facing brazed in rear dropouts, tapered front fork blades with 'club' ends, a chrome plated fork crown cover with stars, a one piece head tube incorporating 'fake' head lugs, and a plastic star on the front.

I have a 26" wheel version of the Skidstar GT, and know of one other. For many years, I thought my 26" version was a 'one off', but there may be many more of these out there. By far the majority had 27 x 1 /1/4" wheels.

Please supply the following details:
Mark 1 or Mark 2.
Original Colour.
Current colour, if repainted.
Frame number.
Wheel size.
Purchase date, if known.

Thanks!

Warren

bicyclepassion

Re: Malvern Star Skidstar GT and Speedwell GTS serial number

Postby bicyclepassion » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:31 pm

Come on GT owners, I know you are out there! Wipe the dust off your Skidstar and have a look for the number for me. Also, how many of you have the original Sanyo twin headlight with speedo unit on their bike?
Warren

speedywheels

Postby speedywheels » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:27 pm

I recently sold my SPEEDWELL Skidster. It was a 26inch wheel Mark 1 model. Original colour was dark blue and the faded decals included coloured spots in pink, green and yellow. the dots were the size of a 10cent, 2 cent and 1 cent coins. I had it repainted metallic green. I think when I got it it had a 1969 or maybe even 1968 sturmey archer hub, very early skidstar. I will ask the new owner for the serial number and get back to you in a few days.

cycles gitane
Location: Near the Dandenong Creek cycle trail, Eastern Melbourne

Postby cycles gitane » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:35 pm

bicyclepassion wrote:I have collected a few serial numbers for the Malvern Star Skidstar GT model, and am trying to accurately date them.
If you own one of these bikes, or see one somewhere, could you send in the serial number please.
Mark 1 or Mark 2. -------- Mark one
Original Colour. ------- mustard yellow
Frame number. ----------- 92023
Wheel size. --------- 27 x 1 1/4
Purchase date, if known. ----------- Purchased from a well known bike collector as a frame and fork ( including the MS headset)

cycles gitane
There is NO room in the shed for the next bike! New shed rqd.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:40 am

Thanks Cycles Gitane. Hopefully this will be the start of a flood of replies.

The lowest number I have recorded is 38861

Yours is 92023

The highest of the 'mark ones' is 92051, just after yours. Possibly made on the same day? Spooky.

92051 is one of my own bikes, a complete bike now, but made from bits and pieces. It is GT gold.

Any other mustard yellow GT's out there?

Warren

240ZR

Postby 240ZR » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:01 am

All I have is a metallic bronze/orange GT Skidstar frame set with serial # 34710 & a complete metallic gold GT Skidstar with serial # 49892 .
I also have two Speedwell GTS's but no numbers.

Nick

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks Nick. Are the GT 's mark one versions, with numbers on the rear dropout?
I should add to the checklist above, and ask for the date code from the Sturmey Archer hub, if it has one.
Speedwell GTS: Does this mean they do not have numbers stamped, or you dont have them available?
Warren

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:45 am

I have revised the details I need to record along with the serial numbers.

Malver Star GT or Speedwell GTS
Complete bike or frame only.
Mark 1 or Mark 2.
Original Colour.
Golden Anniversary decal on down bar, near head lug. Yes/No
Frame number.
Location of frame number.
Wheel size.
Sturmey Archer hub date code.
Purchase date, if known.

I have a Speedwell GTS, mark 1, with frame number 00314. This may indicate that they ran a separate serial number sequence for the Speedwells.

Warren

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:23 am

I have a collection of Retail Cycle Traders Association price lists covering many years.

The 'Skidstar GT' by Malvern Star, appears on the cover of the 1971, 1972 and 1973 price books.

(The 20" Malvern Star 'Dragstar' appears on the cover of the 1968, 1969 and 1970 books.)

I am trying to find out whether the GT came out in late 1969, available for the Christmas season bike sales. It may have been a year later, for Christmas 1970.

A large proportion of the Mark 1 Skidstars I have seen have the Gold Anniversary decal on them, which I believe refers to the 50th anniversary of bruce Small's purchase of the Malvern Star brand, 1920-1970.

Please submit your serial numbers, it will help to complete the jigsaw puzzle. I would particularly like to hear from anyone with a serial number and a known purchase date.

Warren

stackyard59

Postby stackyard59 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Got a Mark 2, serial number one the bb BB white tag is faded. I can make out: "S ? 42091" Got some more numbers comin.
Ravenous Wantamuchamous

retrobikeforager

Postby retrobikeforager » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:00 am

I have a Skidstar Mark 1 with serial number 711044. Original colour appears to be red. 28 inch wheels.

speedywheels

Postby speedywheels » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:18 pm

I recently sold my Skidstar to a friend the details are:-
Mark 1 Speedwell 26 inch wheels.
Originally dark blue now bright green.
Frame no 21983 on rear dropout.
It originally had unusual spotted decals which makes me think it might be a very early Skidstar.

tumble_downs

Postby tumble_downs » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:04 pm

anyone know if the 26" version can fit 700c wheels?

koen

Postby koen » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:55 pm

So I just paid hundreds for this Speedwell GTS
... but it was because the money went to a charity I like. I am guessing it won't return me the cost of chroming the bars but its kinda cute.
Anyone know which would have been the original brake caliper? One is steel and one is an old double pivot thing like a centrepull.

From the OP it is a Mark 2
27x1 1/4 wheels
It has the white sticker under BB as well as some stamped numbers
B 43030 on sticker and a stamped 5 on sticker
5781 stamped into metal of BB

The Sturmey Archer hub is date stamped 10/72

My laundry has had white ants and I was supposed to fix it several bikes ago :oops:

speedywheels

Postby speedywheels » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:55 pm

The unusual front brake will be the correct one. I have seen that style on a few skidstars.

speedywheels

Postby speedywheels » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:08 pm

I think they are alternburger synchron brakes

andre88

Postby andre88 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:25 am

Could this be a Speedwell GTS or a Malvern Star Skidstar GT?

I know it says Monte Carlo on it but could these just be stickers?

Facebook Album Link
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 0b34e42fb1

If someone could let me know as soon as possible that would be great. I'm selling it at lunch time today otherwise and probably for 1/3rd of what it's worth.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:34 pm

I dont think any GT's or GTS's were built with 'cranked' chainstays like the Monte Carlo. See pic of GTS above.

Warren

andre88

Postby andre88 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:18 pm

I just had the guy that wanted to buy the bike look at it and he dropped his cards big time.

Looked at the bike for ages, looking at the serial number and everything else for well over 15minutes.

Then he "rode" the bike in a circle and tried to offer me $170 or something to which I basically laughed.

As it became clear to him through me telling him repeadly that I wasn't going to sell it until I knew what it was he started going up in price, till he was offering me $350 for it.

He mentioned that he thinks it used to be a speedwell and that the paint and decals are not original.

The serial number is 91953 and it is on the rear dropouts.

Anyone have an idea what it really is. The guy I just meant definitely wasn't going to tell me.

spokesmancycle

Postby spokesmancycle » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:48 pm

Hey mate, like I told you it may be a malvern star gt, or speedwell, but as I mentioned it is far from original. It was a respray, decals are not there, crankset is all wrong, wrong seat, not to mention the wheels, brakes and no 3 speed hub. As for the price, $350 would have been way too much to pay for it. Looking back its probably worth 200 to 250. It would be another $300 to $500 to get it back to original!!!

spokesmancycle

Postby spokesmancycle » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:54 pm

You can get a original gt in what looks to be in great condition for 450 on Gumtree in Melbourne.

andre88

Postby andre88 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:36 pm

Thanks for responding so I know who you are on the forum now as well.

The wheels on the bike are worth more than what your saying the whole bike is worth.

Ahh colectors/dealers, you are a weird bunch of people, I'll never understand you.

I personally don't care that it isn't original, I sold a frame one of these for $318, so your point is invalid about it's worth.

Thanks for making it clear I had something worth money and better luck next time trying to get the best deal you can so that you can on sell and make a lot of money.

I know I can get $350 all day long for this bike from someone that doesn't even care if it's collectable.

Also I didn't waste your time as I organised to meet you at a time that suited you in the middle of Canberra. Nothing is a sale until both sides agree on the deal.

I think I may just keep this bike and ride it around as a bike should be used and not looked at.

spokesmancycle

Postby spokesmancycle » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:56 pm

I am not a dealer and no you don't have something that is worth a whole lot! The wheels were rough and definitely not worth much. (a wheel that cost whatever 2 years ago is not worth a lot now!!)

A typical gen y attitude, everything is about money!!

Grow up!! You should talk about making money, some asks you a question and the next thing you are on forums looking for information and believing that you have a goldmine or someone is ripping you off, as for that you offered it for sale, so do you research before hand!!

andre88

Postby andre88 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:10 pm

Ha ha okay buddy, I'll grow up. I'll be riding the bike while I do so.

The wheels just needed a clean, they have been ridden on tops of 10 times for roughly 10kms at a time.

Good luck ripping some other poor soul off.

Genralisation is the worst. What else can you tell me about myself based on some Gen Y rubish? Please entertain me some more.

spokesmancycle

Postby spokesmancycle » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:23 pm

Nobody was ripping off anyone. As for the wheels, I have seen better looking wheels with less scrapes on bikes that done 10000km.