Bunch Rides, QLD (visiting from UK)

adeb

Postby adeb » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:30 am

Here's a 'Post' I wrote on the general board:

Hello All,

My first forum post so I apologise if it's in the wrong place, or If I should have carried out a more comprehensive search in the first instance?

I'm visiting QLD in early November and I'm hoping to join some locals for a Bunch ride or two.

I'll be in Brissy and also visiting Byron and Noosa - I'm of a reasonable standard and can maintain 16.5+ MPH for 40+ Miles (27+ KPH for 65+ K)

I'd be most grateful if anyone can offer advice or a suitable resource where I can find details, and hopefully join some locals for ride or two.

Thanks in advance
Ade.

I'm not a frequent Forum user so please accept my apologies if I'm going about it the wrong way... I've already followed some advice received from 'replys', however, I thought another crack on the QLD section may produce a couple more ideas.

dayne

Re: Bunch Rides, QLD (visiting from UK)

Postby dayne » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:31 am

Noosa has some of the best group rides in aus,
Go to the Noosa bike shop any day of the week at 6:00am,
Monday is a cruise,
Tuesday is fast hills but a slower group leaves at 5:55
Wed cruise
Thursday is flat and fast return leg is over 45km/h but a slow group leaves at 5:55
Friday cruise
Sunday cruise

Saturday leaves Noosa fire station at 6:00 it's 75k cruise down blistering fast home but always a slow bunch to ride back with.
Check out some local sites like http://www.boutiquecycletours.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more info or drop me a pm on here.

I'm from Noosa but live in Brisbane now so I can also point you in the direction of rides down here depending on where you're staying.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:49 am

Looky.

P.S. It's going to be quite hot when you visit, I think the biggest shock will be how your body reacts to the heat.

spinner

Postby spinner » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:43 pm

dayne wrote:Noosa has some of the best group rides in aus,
Go to the Noosa bike shop any day of the week at 6:00am,
Monday is a cruise,
Tuesday is fast hills but a slower group leaves at 5:55
Wed cruise
Thursday is flat and fast return leg is over 45km/h but a slow group leaves at 5:55
Friday cruise
Sunday cruise

Saturday leaves Noosa fire station at 6:00 it's 75k cruise down blistering fast home but always a slow bunch to ride back with.
The Noosa Bike Shop - Sunday ride- fellas have been hooking in with us the last few weeks.
We leave from in front of RAW JUICE on Gympie Terrace, beside the Noosa River at 6.00am
This is only about half a kilometre from the bike shop.
.... again, two bunches; slow and fast.
It may be a 5.30am kick off come November... best PM for the latest!

dayne

Postby dayne » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:01 pm

Oh yes the heat, may be buy some 1ltr bidons.

adeb

Postby adeb » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:26 pm

That's brilliant, thanks all.

Once my loose itinerary is firmed up I'll know when I'll be in each location - I'll PM those who kindly offered their advice for the up-to-date info, and routes etc.

Can you please advise what constitutes Fast / Slow - I can average over 25kph+ on terrain here in Blighty, and I'm also good for a bit more if it's flat, am I aiming for Slow or Fast Bunch rides. Probably try a Slow first and see how I go...

Cheers
Ade.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:53 am

adeb wrote:That's brilliant, thanks all.

Once my loose itinerary is firmed up I'll know when I'll be in each location - I'll PM those who kindly offered their advice for the up-to-date info, and routes etc.

Can you please advise what constitutes Fast / Slow - I can average over 25kph+ on terrain here in Blighty, and I'm also good for a bit more if it's flat, am I aiming for Slow or Fast Bunch rides. Probably try a Slow first and see how I go...

Cheers
Ade.
I can definitely help with some of the slower ones here in Brissy

adeb

Postby adeb » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:48 pm

Flights booked, should be arriving Oz 6th November.

Only one night in Brissy before I head to Noosa - I was hoping to do the Mt Glorious /Nebo ride as I've seen so many threads recommending this but I'll be heading to Noosa almost immediately, perhaps I'll drive south one day and attempt it from the north - any suggestions?

Can anyone recommend a decent Bike Hire company, I've seen 'Bike On' based in Noosa who'll do a Trek Carbon for $45au per day or a Trek Alu $30au per day, I'm not sure if this is good or bad but seems fine, I ride a Trek Domane back in blighty so I'm sure either of these will be OK?

Plan is to head to the LBS and join a suitable bunch for a ride or two - I'm reasonably proficient, although I'll need to acclimatise, and it's my preference to enjoy the view and engage with the bunch - I'm on Holiday so I don't fancy a time trial or competitive Aussies trying to break me... again, any suggestions welcome.

If anyone fancies taking a POHM on a reasonable gentle spin heading out of Noosa or near by then please let me know. I’ll be in town 6th – 10th Nov.
Cheers
Ade.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:04 pm

Idry should be able to help you out at Noosa for a ride. Enjoy your stay and just remember, it is starting to heat up, so keep hydration in focus. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:31 am

adeb wrote:Flights booked, should be arriving Oz 6th November.

Only one night in Brissy before I head to Noosa - I was hoping to do the Mt Glorious /Nebo ride as I've seen so many threads recommending this but I'll be heading to Noosa almost immediately, perhaps I'll drive south one day and attempt it from the north - any suggestions?
................................................................................
Cheers Ade.
Will you have a hire car when you are based at Noosa ?
Because to drive from Noosa to the base of Mt Nebo (in the western suburbs of brisbane) is a 2-3 hour drive, depending on traffic conditions.
Bearing in mind the fact that a tough ride like Mt Nebo is only sensibly done departing Brisbane no later than 6am - i doubt this is very practical.
You would be better off just enjoying the ride from Noosa to Peregian beach and back to Noosa. Relatively civilized terrain and road conditions.
If you must do some big hills there are plenty in the Sunshine Coast hinterland, but many you wouldn't do twice, for all sorts of reasons.
Palmwoods to Montville might be a nice climb, but too steep to enjoy the descent.
Anyway not much wrong with Noosa. Take a boat trip up the river, as far as Tewantin, or better still all the way to Lake Cootharaba.
Steve.

duds2u

Postby duds2u » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Bike On are good guys and will really look after you.

For some not flat out rides you could join the 6 am group that leaves Raw Energy on Gympie Terrace, Noosaville at 6am daily. They do a 40 to 60k ride .
Mal

adeb

Postby adeb » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:45 am

Cheers guys - Bike booked with 'Bike-on', you're right, they've been really helpful so far...

Looks like I'll leave the Nebo / Glorious ride until i return (March 2014, hopefully) - loads of people pointing to the group rides depaerting Raw Energy Noosa, so that's where'll I'll start.

Lokking forward, thanks for all the replies.
Cheers

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:20 am

Yeah. There's plenty of great hinterland riding on the coast, mate. I wouldn't bother with Brisbane.

The "new" palmwoods to montville road is one of the most enjoyable climbs around... 6ish kms at a 6% avg gradient. Once your up on the range you can cruise to maleny or mapleton. Both ways have great scenery.

I'd be happy to show you around this part of town. Just swing me a message if you want.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:24 am

jacob_T wrote:Yeah. There's plenty of great hinterland riding on the coast, mate. I wouldn't bother with Brisbane.

The "new" palmwoods to montville road is one of the most enjoyable climbs around... 6ish kms at a 6% avg gradient. Once your up on the range you can cruise to maleny or mapleton. Both ways have great scenery.

I'd be happy to show you around this part of town. Just swing me a message if you want.
Just be nice to him when you take him up the climbs Jacob :)

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:46 am

singlespeedscott wrote: Just be nice to him when you take him up the climbs Jacob :)
Always ;)

adeb

Postby adeb » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:27 pm

Thanks for all the advice - I've just returned home after another successful trip to Oz. I got a great bike and received excellent service from the guys at Bike On (Tracey & Justin). I joined several 'bunch' rides with the group from Raw Energy, they made me feel very welcome and gave a great in-sight into bunch riding and etiquette etc. I can't believe the pace and distance these guys can easily do.

I was told there was a Slow and Fast group in Noosa, I've not yet found the Slow group, and I certainly want to keep clear of the Fast group!

Looking forward to getting back very soon.