Which suspension fork

Bentnose

Which suspension fork

Postby Bentnose » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:46 am

I'm looking at replacing my knackered 2006 Reba Race fork. I can find the 2013 Reba RLT and SID RL for $478 from Merlin cycles, a 2014 Reba RL from c r c $483, all in black. c r c also have a big discount on the Manitou Marvel Pro for $378 in white, all of these forks are 1/8 steerer, 100mm with 9mm QR. The Marvel could be a big saving if its any good, very few reviews around, but I'm not sure of the white fork with black frame see pick of current bike.
No signature

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Which suspension fork

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:58 am

You could always buy a couple of rattlecans and some masking tape...

Been a while since I've run a Manitou fork but was always impressed by the smooth action, excellent damping and easy maintenance back then.
How important is a lockout to you? That would be the big differentiator to me.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:01 am

Mmm, black bike, black fork IMO.

Look into the X-Fusion forks too, they seem to get good reviews and were keenly priced last time I looked at them (some time back now). I'm also very happy with my Suntour Epicon; upper end Suntours don't deserve the bad mouthing their low end brethren get.

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:03 am

Mulger bill wrote:You could always buy a couple of rattlecans and some masking tape...
Taking the forks apart isn't that hard! But, yes, friends of mine have repainted their fork lowers using spray paint without any hassles.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:20 am

Th X-Fusion forks seem to be only available on Wiggle and either tapered or 29er, so they are out. Don't think I'd want to paint them, would look a bit dodgy, I have had othe people say I should go for black only, I'll see what other responses I get regarding the black frame white fork thing. There are quite a few people on the net who like the black frame white fork look, I'm thinking about it.
No signature

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:48 am

A few other white bits would balance it out no doubt.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:11 am

I was looking at a stem and handlebar replacement at some point, could go white, what do you think, a white front end, black rear?
No signature

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:55 pm

That would be alright. I suppose you're wedded to that Thompson post? Thompson owners tend to be IME. If not a white seat post and/or saddle would give more balance I'd reckon.

Not black, but this is how I did the white highlight thing (as it was the moment I finished putting it together). The white saddle is not as hard to keep clean as some would have you believe - it has a genuine leather cover. That cheap original seatpost has been replaced with a Ritchey Comp one in white - damn good post; inexpensive, ovalised inside, excellent clamp.

MattyP

Postby MattyP » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:57 pm

i bought earlier this year from Merlin a pair of 2013 Reba RL's for my 2007 Jamis Dragon HT. Happy with both their performance, and aesthetic with the rest of the bike. Have changed to SLX gruppo & wheelset as well.

Image Image

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:37 pm

I bought Manitou Marvels from c r c - damned good value. They are much smoother than my X - Fusion forks.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:03 pm

ball bearing wrote:I bought Manitou Marvels from c r c - damned good value. They are much smoother than my X - Fusion forks.
Any idea how it compares to a Reba? The RRP of the Manitou Marvel is higher than the Reba, hopefully that means something. Any issues with the fork?
No signature

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:32 pm

Bentnose wrote:
ball bearing wrote:I bought Manitou Marvels from c r c - damned good value. They are much smoother than my X - Fusion forks.
Any idea how it compares to a Reba? The RRP of the Manitou Marvel is higher than the Reba, hopefully that means something. Any issues with the fork?
Sorry, no experience with Reba. Fox, X-Fusion and Manitou I know.

Only issue with the Marvels is that they arrived in a very oily box. I thought it was going to be a fault with the seals but the oil levels were fine and they work very nicely. The ABS lockout system is especially nice.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:42 pm

With a hardtail, I'd commend a bar-mounted lockout to you if you can get it. The Rockshox hydraulic one is the gold standard, but the cable-operated one I used on that Spot Rocker singlespeed with the SID forks was really good too. Pity the forks were so flexy...

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:27 pm

Looking at a lot of black frame white fork bikes on the net, I'm thinking they look better than ones with black forks. I currently have a remote lock out, but don't use it all that much. I always found the Reba to be adequate but not spectacular. I vagually remember my old Marzhocci Z1 and Z2's being a smoother ride.
No signature

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:28 am

Love the old Marzocchi Bombers. Best forks ever IMO. Still running first generation bomber 29er forks on my SS. Smooth as. I have done the seals and oil once in all these years of ownership. :)

I wish Marzocchi would re-release the bomber. One coil sprung and another air sprung. Non of that silly lockout stuff either. Never used it on any other fork thats had it and its just weight I done need. You get use to the bob after a few minutes on the dirt.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:56 pm

There you go I've pulled the trigger, a set of white 2012 Manitou Marvel Pro's heading my way, $347 from c r c, they have a special on at the moment, $30 off if you spend around $250+. These forks were originally $850.
No signature

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Mine are breaking in nicely. I don't think you will be disappointed as long as you know that the Marvels are not rock hopper type shockies. I put them on my utility/xc machine. 100mm of travel is just perfect.