Bunch Rides, QLD (Visiting from UK)

adeb

Bunch Rides, QLD (Visiting from UK)

Postby adeb » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:23 pm

Hello All,

My first forum post so I apologise if it's in the wrong place, or If I should have carried out a more comprehensive search in the first instance?

I'm visiting QLD in early November and I'm hoping to join some locals for a Bunch ride or two.

I'll be in Brissy and also visiting Byron and Noosa - I'm of a reasonable standard and can maintain 16.5+ MPH for 40+ Miles (27+ KPH for 65+ K)

I'd be most grateful if anyone can offer advice or a suitable resource where I can find details, and hopefully join some locals for ride or two.

Thanks in advance
Ade.

Mustang

Re: Bunch Rides, QLD (Visiting from UK)

Postby Mustang » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:32 pm

Head into the nearest bike shop, from where you are staying, if they don't conduct rides, ask who does.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:33 pm

In Brissy, there's some rides you HAVE to do
riverloop - great welcome to brisbane
Mount Coot-tha - one of the most popular strava segments world wide
Mount Nebo/Mount Glorious

when you get over here, keep an eye on this forum, the ACF nutbags I'm sure will put together some rides for you

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:54 pm

The best riding around the areas you mentioned is definitely the Noosa Hinterland and Northern NSW/Gold Coast Hinterland.
Lots of good climbs and beautiful scenery around there.
Happy to map some courses and/or rides out for you in those areas if you want to pm me.

Or, if you're into bunch rides, there are plenty around Brisbane. Having said that, I'm not sure what the anti-cyclist motorists are like in Pomgolia, but here, be prepared!
Australia has the World Champ stripes in that department!!
Another reason to forget about the 'red light shuffle', and head out of town.

Enjoy

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:14 am

jasonc wrote:In Brissy, there's some rides you HAVE to do

when you get over here, keep an eye on this forum, the ACF nutbags I'm sure will put together some rides for you

I haven't done any of those. I feel like I haven't lived.

I would also include a Bay Loop and Murarrie crit track to Redcliffe and back, but both are around the 90km to 100km rides.

One thing no one mentioned. We ride early here. Many, many group rides kick off between 5am and 6am. But as Mustang said, head to the nearest LBS and check out what they have going. You can also google bike shops in Brisbane and a few of them will what their shop rides are on their websites.

Are you bringing your own bike over, or looking to hire one here?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:25 am

briztoon wrote:
jasonc wrote:In Brissy, there's some rides you HAVE to do

I haven't done any of those. I feel like I haven't lived.
you haven't ;)

+1 to the redcliffe ride (I did it saturday, but it's a flat ride and I prefer it when the road goes up)

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:00 am

Check out the Queensland forum, this is a regular question.

adeb

Postby adeb » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:03 am

Thanks for the replies guys - the Mt Nebo / Glorious route(s) keeps popping up so I'll definitely be giving that a go.

I will be bringing my new 'Steed', I can't make such an Investment and and leave it at home... Let's just hope Etihad or Virgin (Or Manchester & Brisbane Airports) don't damage it!

I've had a look at Bunch rides organised by Bike Shops, NBS in Noosa have something everyday, I'll hopefully join them for a couple - and try desperately not to get dropped, It looks a serious crowd... I'm hoping they'll cut me a bit of slack being a POHM who needs to acclimatise?

I'll keep doing my research, there's plenty to go at - I'm happy to find my own way and do the solo thing, but a Bunch ride always gets that extra few Ks out of me, plus local knowledge is Gold, not to mention the banter I can have over the POHMs reigning supreme in the Cricket etc.

Cheers
Ade.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:11 pm

adeb wrote:... I'm hoping they'll cut me a bit of slack being a POHM who needs to acclimatise?
Er no, they'll put you on the front for a long pull, and then drop the hammer.

adeb wrote:I'll keep doing my research, there's plenty to go at - I'm happy to find my own way and do the solo thing, but a Bunch ride always gets that extra few Ks out of me, plus local knowledge is Gold, not to mention the banter I can have over the POHMs reigning supreme in the Cricket etc.
Banter?, they'll just drop the hammer.