The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Aushiker

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby Aushiker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:20 pm

jules21 wrote:this corner scares me. one day i will be posting a crash here, potentially involving me.
Can understand why.

Andrew

zero

Postby zero » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:41 pm

jules21 wrote:this corner scares me. one day i will be posting a crash here, potentially involving me.

Yeah it happens, probably won't be you as long as you roll in at 20ish or less because if you are sufficiently near the apex to be visible it modifies the behavior of other riders. This is something I've sample a lot of on the Anzac Bridge dogleg which allows riders of varying skills to approach at 40+ due to the bridge slope (and keeps my speed down climbing too).

This is the kind of corner where a TT or road bike pair will crash on for sure though when they both approach at 40.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:28 pm

zero wrote: Yeah it happens, probably won't be you as long as you roll in at 20ish or less because if you are sufficiently near the apex to be visible it modifies the behavior of other riders.
there's a point at which you are close enough to the corner (i'm ahead of it there) that if someone comes towards you in a similar manner to the rider in the video, they can't see you around the bend and can't adjust their line if they're committed - as that guy was. i've had one guy who experienced that scenario - but i was still just enough ahead to avoid a collision. he still locked up and slid wildly - narrowly avoiding a crash - and that was with me still a bit ahead of where i could be while still 'invisible'. it will happen one day.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:23 pm

Perhaps walk through that area? Or is that too inconvenient a way to avoid a crash?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:35 pm

g-boaf wrote:Perhaps walk through that area? Or is that too inconvenient a way to avoid a crash?
my speed is not the issue, which is the other rider barreling around the corner and seeing someone else in his path. it wouldn't matter if i was riding or walking - i'm not going fast either way. the problem is - they have nowhere to go if they can't pull it back onto their LHS.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:03 pm

I think we can all agree that your speed wasn't an issue. :D

I think the point was being made that it may take two speeding cyclists heading opposite directions for a collision to occur. Though the fact that the cyclist went outside his lane may have been a choice after seeing the lane was clear. There is certainly plenty of times that I as a cyclist (and occasionally as a motorist) make use of the entire available surface when I can adequately see the path ahead is clear.

It is not entirely clear to me that the cyclist in this video was going too fast to avoid going into the outside lane. The fact that the cyclist did intrude on the lane is not of itself evidence to this.

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:41 pm

Saw two Dumb Cyclists within a 300m stretch of road this morning.

Both of them on the Leach Highway in Perth (between Tudor Ave and Majorie Ave https://maps.google.com.au/?ll=-32.0270 ... 2&t=h&z=17). The first guy was headed east and was on the freeway on a step-through, going about 20kph (if he was lucky) and was sitting in the right hand lane of the 2 east bound lanes just past vahland Ave. Death wish I thought as this is a service freeway and is inhabited by lots of large trucks + it was in the middle of peak hour traffic.

The second guy was just down the road (closer to Majorie Ave) on the west bound lanes (literally a few 100 meters apart from each other) on his MTB, thankfully in the left most lane but no helmet to be seen and with earbuds in while riding one handed.

Considering that the speed limit is 70kph on this freeway (not superbad I guess) and that anyone from Perth can tell you that congestion here during peak hour can be horrendous but still have fast flowing traffic I just thought their actions were completely nuts.
I got hit by a car that failed to give way once - it really hurt

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:28 pm

SquareWheels wrote:Both of them on the Leach Highway in Perth (between Tudor Ave and Majorie Ave https://maps.google.com.au/?ll=-32.0270 ... 2&t=h&z=17). The first guy was headed east and was on the freeway on a step-through, going about 20kph (if he was lucky) and was sitting in the right hand lane of the 2 east bound lanes just past vahland Ave. Death wish I thought as this is a service freeway and is inhabited by lots of large trucks + it was in the middle of peak hour traffic.
You do realise it is not a freeway don't you ... the freeway in Perth runs north - south; it is just a four to six lane road. I used to ride Leach Highway all the time ... not a big issue at all, I have ridden much narrow rides where there are lots of trucks at higher speeds. Cockburn Road comes to mind for starters.

Andrew

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:24 pm

I rode that corner recently (for the first time). In the back of my mind was the exact same concern - 'I hope no-one is coming in the other direction at a fast speed and taking the corner wide/cutting it'.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:33 pm

Summernight wrote:

I rode that corner recently (for the first time). In the back of my mind was the exact same concern - 'I hope no-one is coming in the other direction at a fast speed and taking the corner wide/cutting it'.
Some similarities to the southern on-ramp coming onto the sydney harbour bridge bikeway. Nearly everybody - including myself - swings onto the wrong side at some point, it's hard to avoid, even going real slow.

I usually do so early, using a "late apex" approach so that I square off the turn and have a clear view of anything oncoming, and to be square and as far left as possible on the ramp proper. It also gives the best opportunity to brake or change line if someone is coming the other way and I need to give way.

Unfortunately most do the exact opposite, and take an early apex and then run wide coming up the ramp itself where available lines are the most confined. Recipe for a nasty crash, which happens regularly. :x

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:25 pm

Aushiker wrote:It is not all rosy in the Netherlands :) BTW that is a one-way bike lane.

Andrew
Sorta naked streets beaviour without the naked bit.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Sunday afternoon isn't the best time to use the local foreshore cycleway apparently. Very busy, that's fine.
#1 three people meandering along the path, across the full width. Lead rider of our group of four dings, right hand pedestrian moves left(ish) for bike 1 to pass, then back right I front of two kids and me without so much as looking. Kinda wish one of the kids had run into him

#2 group of young adults (bogan styled) having a chat, completely oblivious to their only-just-walking toddler wobbles across and back in front of us. When I called out for them to watch their bub there wasn't any reaction.

#3 not sure if it really counts. Kid, 12-13ish, on an electric go kart of all things. To his credit he was driving quite safely, but I'm sure his mode of transport probably didn't qualify to use the path not to mention he was at knee height of everyone else.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:09 am

bychosis wrote:#2 group of young adults (bogan styled) having a chat, completely oblivious to their only-just-walking toddler wobbles across and back in front of us. When I called out for them to watch their bub there wasn't any reaction.
after being threatened to have the kid removed so many times by DOCS, your warning had little impact :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:57 am

SquareWheels wrote:The first guy was headed east and was on the freeway on a step-through, going about 20kph (if he was lucky) and was sitting in the right hand lane of the 2 east bound lanes just past vahland Ave. Death wish I thought as this is a service freeway and is inhabited by lots of large trucks
Doesn't even look like a freeway. Just a fairly normal urban divided arterial road. I ride this sort of road all the time, and at times even do so in the right lane eg. when lining up for a right turn.

Re the trucks - articulated-truck drivers are the most courteous drivers on the roads in my experience. As long as you signal your intentions, claim a reasonable space before they reach you, and behave half-decently, they will be courteous and overtake you safely with good space to clear.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:35 am

bychosis wrote:Sunday afternoon isn't the best time to use the local foreshore cycleway apparently. Very busy, that's fine.
#1 three people meandering along the path, across the full width. Lead rider of our group of four dings, right hand pedestrian moves left(ish) for bike 1 to pass, then back right I front of two kids and me without so much as looking. Kinda wish one of the kids had run into him
Yes that shared path is pedestrian heaven (or hell) on a weekend, brave to ride there, have to ride very slowly and very carefully, great way to get the kids skills up ;)

In this instance (#1) I always say "thanks 3 more following" as I pass (or however many there are) just to alert them to the fact that more are coming - yes they should look but .....

That said my kids love their bells so it is often an orchestra approaching from behind as my wife and kids all chime in!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:04 pm

jules21 wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Perhaps walk through that area? Or is that too inconvenient a way to avoid a crash?
my speed is not the issue, which is the other rider barreling around the corner and seeing someone else in his path. it wouldn't matter if i was riding or walking - i'm not going fast either way. the problem is - they have nowhere to go if they can't pull it back onto their LHS.
If you are walking though, you've more of an opportunity to jump out of the way of people going over their side of the path.

These narrow sections always concern me. I know what I'm doing, but you never know what others will do.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:41 pm

Just ride a fatboy through there. You'll always come off best :P

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:46 pm

Floriade is driving me insane at the moment... Zombie peds galore

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:04 pm

lobstermash wrote:Floriade is driving me insane at the moment... Zombie peds galore
I love how they continue to step into the road AFTER the cars have the green light!

Stopped heading towards civic yesterday, this ute failed to notice the stopped cars and bikes and locked it up and slid to the other side of the ped crossing seconds before the light went green. Myself and the mate gave him a "golf clap" (gawd, what movie was that in?), I was laughing so hard I had trouble moving off when the lights changed. Luckily, the ped had already cleared the crossing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:06 pm

twizzle wrote:Myself and the mate gave him a "golf clap" (gawd, what movie was that in?),
men at work

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:52 pm

jules21 wrote:
twizzle wrote:Myself and the mate gave him a "golf clap" (gawd, what movie was that in?),
men at work
Ta. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:35 pm

Doesn't even look like a freeway. Just a fairly normal urban divided arterial road. I ride this sort of road all the time, and at times even do so in the right lane eg. when lining up for a right turn.

Re the trucks - articulated-truck drivers are the most courteous drivers on the roads in my experience. As long as you signal your intentions, claim a reasonable space before they reach you, and behave half-decently, they will be courteous and overtake you safely with good space to clear.
yes my bad from the original post. Meant to be highway sorry. Mixed my terminology from the start of the post to the latter portion. While you and Aushiker may be game enough to ride this, and I may also if it wasn't peak hour, there is not a hope in hell that you will catch me in the right hand lane of this beast when there is no right hand turn for a long way off and its peak hour traffic. I will withdraw the Dumb Cyclist for the other fella but not the right hand lane guy :)
I got hit by a car that failed to give way once - it really hurt

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:49 pm

Scarfy96 wrote:
bychosis wrote:Sunday afternoon isn't the best time to use the local foreshore cycleway apparently. Very busy, that's fine.
Yes that shared path is pedestrian heaven (or hell) on a weekend, brave to ride there, have to ride very slowly and very carefully, great way to get the kids skills up ;)

In this instance (#1) I always say "thanks 3 more following" as I pass (or however many there are) just to alert them to the fact that more are coming - yes they should look but .....

That said my kids love their bells so it is often an orchestra approaching from behind as my wife and kids all chime in!
The fact that the are many groups, esp families on sunday arvo should make you think about looking around a bit. Mr 8 tends to ring his bell to late, and Mr 6's new 2nd hand bike's bell was missing the dinger bit, but you're right we make a bit of a racket approaching anyone most of the time.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

wob

Postby wob » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:44 pm

Numpty just broke his shoulder.

There were lots of peds on the shared path and I was weaving through them. I decided it was time to ring my bell again to announce myself to the next lot of peds.

But its not a good idea to take hand of bars while weaving and negotiating a bend in the path too. My front wheel slipped off the path and next thing I new my shoulder and helmet were in the dirt.

Ouch! Embarrassed.

But the bike seems ok. :)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:27 pm

wob wrote: But the bike seems ok. :)
Well that's the important thing :lol: .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia