Do modern Look pedals (Keo Max 2) groan & squeak?

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi,

A few years back I swapped from Look classic pedals (a very long association) to Time RXS pedals. I got out of Look because I finally had enough of the cleats forever making noises. The RXS have been great in many ways, but the composite body of my entry level version have had a minor failure (a bit chipped off the toe end 'hook'). Replacement isn't urgent, but I'm looking around at my options. I'd consider Looks again if they have silenced the cleats. Can anyone tell me how they are these days?

Just to forestall the inevitable, I'm not particularly interested in Speedplays (no doubt excellent in many ways, they also seem to have a very high faff factor), and I have this obscure aim of keeping Shimano gear off my roadie (it's all I use on my MTB, so it balances out), so their pedals are out too. I'd like to stay with Time, but the same sort of composite body failures I've just had seem to affecting the newer models too if internet mutters are accurate and I'm a bit wary.

Cheers

HappyHumber

Re: Do modern Look pedals (Keo Max 2) groan & squeak?

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:47 pm

Steadfastly sticking to the Look Deltas myself ;) I understand this is the "retronym" for the Look Classics you describe. Funnily enough about half of the 6 or so pairs I own are Shimano made under licence, predating the SPD-SLs.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:06 pm

Plain Keo cleats are ok if you keep 'em clean. Keo Grip cleats are a pain...worst when wet.
Last edited by RonK on Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

flex5150

Postby flex5150 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:09 am

I bought keo's new a couple of years ago. The left developed a carbon creak type of sound. Took them off cleaned up the threads re installed, sound gone.
BMC SLR01 '15 RED22
Giant PROPEL SL RED22.
BMC SLR01 '18 E-TAP

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:15 pm

Thanks. Doesn't sound too encouraging. It appears the old classic/delta creak has carried over to the new ones. Removing, cleaning and re-installing cleats isn't the worst thing in the world, but I can think of better things to do. The Time cleats have been set and forget, and I'd like to keep it that way.

kb

Postby kb » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:23 am

Mine were squeaky. A touch of silicon spray every few weeks keeps them happy.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:42 am

Jean wrote:Removing, cleaning and re-installing cleats isn't the worst thing in the world, but I can think of better things to do.
Never needed to remove them for cleaning. Just give 'em a good wipe down. Pedals too.

I like the Keos so despite the odd creak I'm not going to change pedals any time soon.

And yes the silicone spray is good.

Btw - make sure you put the grip pad under the cleat when installing them.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:46 am

Jean wrote:Hi,

A few years back I swapped from Look classic pedals (a very long association) to Time RXS pedals. I got out of Look because I finally had enough of the cleats forever making noises. The RXS have been great in many ways, but the composite body of my entry level version have had a minor failure (a bit chipped off the toe end 'hook'). Replacement isn't urgent, but I'm looking around at my options. I'd consider Looks again if they have silenced the cleats. Can anyone tell me how they are these days?

Just to forestall the inevitable, I'm not particularly interested in Speedplays (no doubt excellent in many ways, they also seem to have a very high faff factor), and I have this obscure aim of keeping Shimano gear off my roadie (it's all I use on my MTB, so it balances out), so their pedals are out too. I'd like to stay with Time, but the same sort of composite body failures I've just had seem to affecting the newer models too if internet mutters are accurate and I'm a bit wary.

Cheers
I don't know why anyone would want to use them, try and get a knee alignment done with a set of Time pedals and you'll understand why.

Shimano, Speedplay & Keywin are all far better choices.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:53 am

I used to have a set of blades on my roadie and they were really noisy. I used to put candle wax on the pedals on a weekly basis like a surfboard to quiet them down. I have subsequently gone back to heavier, more agricultural feeling teggie pedals. Perform flawlessly and quiet, albeit heavier. Other than the noise and the surprising wear rate on the clip side of the pedal, I really liked them. Bearing wear was a bit excessive, too.

As a post script, when I went to remove said look pedals from the bike, the pedal shaft cracked in the crank at the end of the thread in two places. I nearly needed to replace the whole crank as a result. It was well wedged in. God knows how the bike shop manager managed to get it out when 3 of his mechs and I had no success.

stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:49 pm

I did used to get squeeks from my old Look Delta pedals - in one case I used Banana on a ride to keep them quiet, worked quite well. I switched to Keo Classic pedals earlier this year and have had no issues with noise. I did find that the non-Look branded cleats didn't fit the pedals so bought some Keo Grip cleats which have worked a charm.

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:56 pm

I've got a set of Keo2 Max with around 20,000k on them. no squeaks.
though I use loctite on the threads to stop them tightening or loosening, and to spread load over a larger part of the thread surfaces.

Like Ron, I don't like the Keo grip cleats as the rubbery bits break down pretty quick and fowl the pedal.
Was considering taking them apart to service bearings etc...if anyone has done so, do tell.

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:16 pm

jacks1071 wrote:I don't know why anyone would want to use them, try and get a knee alignment done with a set of Time pedals and you'll understand why.

Never had any problem with them - no aches or pains. There are buzillions of happy Time users in the world, so as always, YMMV. The only pedals I've had that gave me grief were Look Classics back in the pre-historic days when they shipped with black cleats, which was sorted by changing to Look red cleats ASAP.

Shimano: no doubt fine, but as I said I have a somewhat senseless aversion to Shimano on my road bike.
Keywin: looked at them but with a US$200 entry price, meh. Pretty ugly too it must be said.
Speedplay: Heaps of people love 'em, but those cleats just seem a kludge to me, and given how much people around here talk about working on them with new spindles, bodies etc etc, I'm in no hurry to buy into the whole thing. I haven't ruled them out, but they are down the list.

Thanks all for the further info on Keo noisiness - I'll consider them further.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:16 pm

incidentally, decided to clean the bike and take off my pedals to inspect. there's a locking nut that holds the spindle on. both were finger loose...one extremely so. so loosened them right off and the spindle with sealed bearings slid out. I cleaned the inside, and then the spindle...and repacked with a mixture of oil and grease. then tightened the lock nuts. overtightening puts pressure on the bearings, so I backed it off. This lock nut is something Keo2 max owners will probably have to keep an eye on, as there's nothing there to stop it loosening. Would have put loctite on, but will first wait a few months and see if it loosens again

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:26 pm

Jean wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:I don't know why anyone would want to use them, try and get a knee alignment done with a set of Time pedals and you'll understand why.

Never had any problem with them - no aches or pains. There are buzillions of happy Time users in the world, so as always, YMMV. The only pedals I've had that gave me grief were Look Classics back in the pre-historic days when they shipped with black cleats, which was sorted by changing to Look red cleats ASAP.

Shimano: no doubt fine, but as I said I have a somewhat senseless aversion to Shimano on my road bike.
Keywin: looked at them but with a US$200 entry price, meh. Pretty ugly too it must be said.
Speedplay: Heaps of people love 'em, but those cleats just seem a kludge to me, and given how much people around here talk about working on them with new spindles, bodies etc etc, I'm in no hurry to buy into the whole thing. I haven't ruled them out, but they are down the list.

Thanks all for the further info on Keo noisiness - I'll consider them further.
Ever had a "knee alignment" done?

They may suit you perfectly but lack much of the adjustment you get with other brands.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:32 pm

jacks1071 wrote:Ever had a "knee alignment" done?

They may suit you perfectly but lack much of the adjustment you get with other brands.
No, not uncomfortable or in pain, and haven't been in the twenty odd years I've been riding, so throwing money at bike fitters has never had much appeal. Maybe they'd make me more 'efficient' or some such, but given I've never raced above B Grade (and that was a long time ago), that benefit seems somewhat unnecessary to me.

As I said, I have no reason to be unhappy with the way that Time RXS pedals and me get along. My only concern is that of the physical durability of the pedals themselves.