New MTB- spend big now or upgrade

swaz

New MTB- spend big now or upgrade

Postby swaz » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:23 am

So, whilst I am off work with man flu (geez it's a bad batch this year!) I am looking at bikes online. I have a cheap Schwinn Mesa GS that is not really that comfortable to ride geometry wise or set up wise. So with my tax cheque ~$1500 I want to get something better. Now seems to be a good time to get a 2013 model. HOWEVER! In this price range it is all about compromises. All hard tail alloy frames seem to be about equal. Am sorta convinced to go with a big brand rather than the Polygon due to lifetime warranty and the bike shop I will but from supports its community.

So, in people experience. Is it better to spend the cash up front on say something with XT everywhere, or spend what I have and upgrade when things wear out? And do things like cranks really wear out? I really like the look of the double XT crank, hate the black deore triple look.

Calvin27

Re: New MTB- spend big now or upgrade

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:59 am

Cranks will take awhile to wear out. I forget what ratio people normally quote (4 chains, 2 casettes and 1 cranks or something like that?) but I only use the MTB for weekends so I haven't actually worn a crankset out yet. If commuting this might make it wear faster.

Go nuts getting as much as you can to save the dough later on. $1.5k will get you a pretty sweet hardtail branded or not. At that price range I would definately be going local bike shop as opposed to polygon tc. because you will want to ride the thing and at this price level specs are similar, but how it rides is what makes the difference. Also first service is nice as it is when all the things will wear in and cables stretch etc.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:35 pm

XT everywhere will get you limited ongoing maintenance but you'll pay for the privilege. So much so that you probably won't hit budget...

Focus on what frame and fork fits you best and suits your riding needs. Secondary issues are the quality of the fork and wheelset and the capacity for the bike to be upgraded (many big brands such as Giant, Cannondale and Specialized have frames with bespoke sizing issues) at a later date. Final part is the brakes - if you can swing XT here then that'd be the winner. Unlikely though..

Driveline components are a dime a dozen and not exey in the scheme of things - XT shifters go for about $80 - $100 for the pair. Brakes though are pricey - XT brakes with rotors are over $400.

As a result (with your budget) you may get a Deore crankset with XT shifters/deraileurs and Formula brakes, an RS Recon Silver fork and some house brand wheels. If you go down range in the same bike series...the fork and the wheels are where the real costs are cut and you'll never make these costs up trying to upgrade later - you might make it shift like lightning but it'll still ride and handle like a badly sprung cart. Spend what you afford now and save more for blinging up later...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

swaz

Postby swaz » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:49 pm

Thanks for the advice. Currently considering the Giant XTC 29er 2013 model for about $1200 or the Trek Super Fly AL for $1500.

env1romelza

Postby env1romelza » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:25 am

I LOVE my Giant XTC 29er 2013! Best buy ever.
Mel

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:57 am

How handy are you with the tools? You could buy a frame up from On-one in the UK and build your own.

You can scrounge up the XT bits from various online retailers and build it yourself. Very rewarding.

I have gone through 6 frames in the last 10 years but some of the parts I bought back then I'm still using because I bought descent quality. MTB frames get trashed so there's no point in splurging on a flash one IMO.

swaz

Postby swaz » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:24 am

I could easily build a bike. Have built many road and TT bikes in the past. I recently built up a Chinese carbon frame with Ultegra parts. But once I added up all the bits and pieces I could have spent $1500 ish on a run out model from a well known brand. So I was thinking this would be the same with a MTB.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:57 am

Just an idea.

I do like the look of the giant XTC 29ers. Not so sure on the wheels though.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:58 am

swaz wrote:Thanks for the advice. Currently considering the Giant XTC 29er 2013 model for about $1200 or the Trek Super Fly AL for $1500.
For the money the superseded XTC 29er is a good deal but as Singlespeedscott points out...the wheels are a weak point. They are fine and are as good as any other at this price point but they do hold the bike back as they aren't the stiffest things out there (it might be sorted with a post buy wheel tune).
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:48 am

Calvin27 wrote:Cranks will take awhile to wear out. I forget what ratio people normally quote (4 chains, 2 casettes and 1 cranks or something like that?)
By the time I wore the rings out on my old crankset, the mounting interface had become well obsolete [1] and I couldn't source a new big ring.

So I bought a new bike :oops:

I reckon the OP is right in his assessment that alloy hardtail frames are pretty much commodity, and there's not much to recommend one ahead of another except for minor geometry details (along with aesthetics and brand snobbery, if they're your thing). I pretty much bought a well-priced XT-ish groupset that came with a frame attached.

You'll get more bike for your money if you go 26". If you can still find any, that is.

tim

[1] early XT 4-arm, with the big ring mounted to the crank on a kind of spline.

swaz

Postby swaz » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:17 pm

Lots of 26" bikes around. But I REALLY want a 29er!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:15 am

29er are the way to go unless your really into hardcore trail bombing where the strength and maneuverability of a 26" wheel are a plus. For general trail riding and endurance riding a 29er is hard to beat.

andione1983

Postby andione1983 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:30 am

Boardman is the bomb.. And awesome value from goldcross $1100 Image
Sent from my Galaxy far far away....
Road Bike - Giant Advanced Defy 2 (2018)
MTB - Boardman Team Pro (2013)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:23 pm

If you want a combo of both why not go for a 650B?

swaz

Postby swaz » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:15 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:If you want a combo of both why not go for a 650B?
Narrr, I would have kept my 26er if I was going to 650b

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:38 pm

When we were out on Saturday doing some trail work at Manly Dam a guy went past on a Cannondale Rush that he'd had converted to 650B.

Looked pretty sweet, actually. Looked a lot less of a kiddie BMX than those 26ers do.

Isn't it funny how your perceptions change when you get used to the big wheels? :lol:

Bramston

Postby Bramston » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:13 pm

Just got a Specialized Crave 29er, love it. Tidy build except, already scratched the top tube decal with a van(shoe) whilst dismounting. Disappointed 2 days old and this happens... I thought the stickers would be a little more durable than a van scrubbing them out....