How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

find_bruce

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:17 am

I am old and slow, at least 20 kg over weight, my bike weighs in at 13 kg & I am towing a weehoo that adds a further 15 kg. I have all the acceleration and climbing speed of an overloaded semi. If you are faster than me, enjoy your ride & have a nice day. If you are slower than me, that's ok, nice to see you out & about, have a nice day. If, on the other hand, you are one of the four deluded fools on Miller St & Union St - all you proved is that you are so slow that you can't even drag me off at the lights:
  1. Go to the room of mirrors & have a good hard look at yourself
  2. Don't pull in front of people at the lights unless you are quick
  3. The fact that I passed you, uphill, hauling more than 30 kgs of excess weight should have given you a clue that you are in fact slower than a wet week
  4. repeat step 1 :roll:

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:57 am

Great. Till I bonked after the Falcon St blast and rode the last 3km at about 15km/h. Bleh.

Jim

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:46 am

DavidS wrote:Wind wasn't mild going down Beach Rd on the way home ;)DS
Wind and weather was definitely not mild for me either heading up north.
A number of sqalls along the way, then dry patches, then more rain. Made it home without getting too soaked though.
A P-Plater managed to spin his car turning left into Plenty Rd from Childs Rd, even though the road surface was hardly damp - will upload the clip later.

Very gusty on the way in this morning, arrived in the CBD a good few minutes behind my average time.

Edit: Here's the video of the spin:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:58 am

I left my desk at 5:02 pm yesterday and it was pouring rain. By the time I assembled all my wet weather gear it was 5:23 pm when I left the office in Melbourne's CBD. I didn't get a drop of rain on the way home!

I have a beautiful tailwind for the last 3rd of the ride as well..that magical feeling when it all goes quiet and you just glide along effortlessly.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:19 pm

Had a couple of successive not-bad days with my misbehaving disc so I tentatively toddled down to/from the station on my old hybrid because I am sick of living like an invalid. A couple of ks at each end of the train trip (for the moment I'm lucky enough to be going against peak), in my dress, boots and trenchcoat. Don't feel like I'm going to suffer too much for it :) And at least I'm out of the blocks for the corporate challenge. My commuting life is a modicum less showtime than it has been lately ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:31 pm

First ride back after time off the bike due to a hamstring strain. I took it really easy, and didn't make things any worse.

Had some really poorly judged passes from motorists within the first 5km, where 2-5 seconds of waiting would enable them to have a clearer safer pass.

Here is an amusing video of a sequence of everybody wanting to get into my lane. None of these are surprising (especially at the front of a shopping area), but the close sequence of events makes it look like that scene from The Truman Show, where everybody is organised to get in Truman's way. Within 100 metres there was a reverser, doorer, oncoming turner, left turner without indicator, and of course a magpie.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:30 am

Been smashed by strong headwinds all week on my commute home....had an absolute gutful yesterday arvo. What craps me out the most is that the wind in the morning is never the same strength. So I get the piddly tailwind in the morning and by the afternoon the wind has doubled if not tripled in strength. I watch the riders going the other way fly along whilst I struggle :(

So having had a gutful and also having some family type commitments I am not riding today. I could have but am being lazy :)

Body needs a break too

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:29 am

had a smashfest on the way home last night the rode with the fast boys this morning. I'm knackered.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:23 am

Oh boy shoppers, do I have a special for you!

Today only you get....
Not one!
Not two!!!
But three punctures, all for the low low price of 1.5hours!

That's right folks, three punctures, all on one tube, today only on the Main Yarra Trail!
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:39 am

nezumi wrote:That's right folks, three punctures, all on one tube, today only on the Main Yarra Trail!
Ouch, which section? I'll be heading along the MYT outbound between Fed Square and Fairfield Park....

My commute yesterday afternoon along MYT to Greensborough and beyond was uneventful, but felt pretty sluggish for some reason.
Just missed a rain front at 4am this morning, caught the last few drops as I left, and had a rather cautious ride into the CBD on very wet roads.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:29 am

I think they may have been pinch flats - it was on the inbound section before dwights falls.

Two holes side by side, and one at the stem. I ended up grabbing a fresh tube, but it's a 700x23-28 in a 35c tyre.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:34 am

nezumi wrote:I think they may have been pinch flats - it was on the inbound section before dwights falls.
Thanks. I'll be keeping a beady eye out for the puncture fairy in that area anway...just in case.. :mrgreen:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:34 pm

nezumi wrote:Today only you get....
Not one!
Not two!!!
But three punctures, all for the low low price of 1.5hours!

That's right folks, three punctures, all on one tube, today only on the Main Yarra Trail!
well be grateful.. i binned it this morning! (3rd prang in a month! i'm getting worse at this cycling thing)

on the wooden plank section down near the river at Rector Woodley's (just after coming off the city-side of the Walmer St bridge), it was wet. i normally stomp through there on my MTB with 2" tyres, but today was on my roadie with 23c GP4000s slicks. obviously i slowed down. but not enough - i learned. cracked my helmet.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:50 pm

Ouch mate. Who knows why they put wooden board walks near wet places. They have wooden boardwalks through the Boondall Wetlands and they only recently finally put down the grippy tack surface stuff.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:59 pm

geez Jules. take care please
new helmet too by the sounds of it

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:22 pm

jules21 wrote: on the wooden plank section down near the river at Rector Woodley's (just after coming off the city-side of the Walmer St bridge), it was wet. i normally stomp through there on my MTB with 2" tyres, but today was on my roadie with 23c GP4000s slicks. obviously i slowed down. but not enough - i learned. cracked my helmet.
That's a horribly uneven and slippery surface, with the bolt heads sticking out more often than not. Even in the dry, rattling across there is somewhat unsettling.
Hope you & bike are ok!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:31 pm

thanks guys. anyone seen any deals on helmets?

what got me was my complacency due to riding it almost daily on my MTB, which is more forgiving. shared paths - with all their bumps, gaps and surface changes sure are a challenge when you jump on a roadie.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:37 pm

jules21 wrote:thanks guys. anyone seen any deals on helmets?

what got me was my complacency due to riding it almost daily on my MTB, which is more forgiving. shared paths - with all their bumps, gaps and surface changes sure are a challenge when you jump on a roadie.
I did that too....on my first ride on my first ever roadie, only 2 years ago....had only ever ridden a hybrid before...my undoing was railway lines with a light rain at the time

did it front of the wife....a car and two other riders coming up behind us..one of them a guy I work with..went down like the proverbial sack of

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:56 pm

Giro had a few specials on up here not long ago.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:56 pm

Glad you're OK Jules, how's the roadie?

Velogear have a sale on their Kali lids ATM.

Coming in tonight was a bit confusticating. I got tailgunned along Flemington Rd from The Kids, through the Haymarket and along Collins as far as Franklin before he turned off. It was a Skybus! :shock:
Hope their mgmt doesn't read these pages or the poor bloke will get sacked for defying company policy and being nice to a cyclist.

Rest of the ride was just pure fun, even the CBD peds were playing nice :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:45 pm

Looked a bit threatening this morning but got in dry. Not so much fun this arvo, intermittent rain.

I ride home along the beach and go a bit further than I need to and then turn back. Generally I'll stop for a minute or two off the bike path as I'm turning around. Just wanted to say thanks to the guy who asked if everything was ok when I pulled off and stopped. Nice to see cyclists sticking together 8)

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:10 am

During the week my bike started making an annoying ticking sound. Now that I've had a chance to take a proper look at it I found a very worn self-tapper embedded in the rear tyre. As a commuter tyre I'm seriously impressed with the Tannus.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:09 am

I managed to make it all the way home through rain last night - then I slipped over on the pavers of my driveway. _-

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:42 pm

just realised I've passed my commuting total for 2012

Dan

Postby Dan » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:20 pm

jasonc wrote:just realised I've passed my commuting total for 2012
Top job!