Phuket

redrover3

Phuket

Postby redrover3 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:14 am

Ok, not exactly touring but my wife has decided that we're going to Phuket for a week and I want to hire a bike to get a full day of riding in. Bikes are cheap enough to hire ($30aud) for a good one. I've been to Northern Thailand a couple of times and been on the bike but am unfamiliar with the south.
Any suggestions for whether road or MTB is more suitable in this area or suggested interesting routes for a day?
Tony

singlespeedscott

Re: Phuket

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:19 pm

I wouldn't be any help. Last time I was in Phuket was in 1983 :shock:

Back than Patong beach was a bunch of huts, back packers hostels, some bars and great local restaurants.

redrover3

Postby redrover3 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:52 pm

Yeah, probably changed a bit since then. :D
Tony

TimW

Postby TimW » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:53 pm

My wife and son and I went on a one day bike trip with this company http://www.amazingbiketoursthailand.asia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (No affiliation). We thouroughly enjoyed the day out and got to see some of the countryside, I did a review in the o/s touring section. As to riding a road bike over there? (Make sure your medical insurance for o/s travel is up to date. Tim

redrover3

Postby redrover3 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:55 am

Thanks Tim,
I'll wait and see what I think of the traffic before renting a road bike. The one day trip that you did looks just the shot for what I want. Rather than buy things overseas to bring back, I try to get a ride in every country visited. Started this idea quite late so only have Austria, France, Thailand a few times and New Zealand so far.
Tony

the_real_jimbob

Postby the_real_jimbob » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:35 pm

What month are you going? March/April can get very hot.

I rode solo from Bangkok to Chiang Mai on a road bike earlier this year. Even riding through Bangkok was OK, it's not the traffic so much but obstactles like drain covers installed the wrong way, or not installed at all. This was closer to towns though. On highways and country roads was great.

Was chased by dogs every day especially out in the country, they would see me coming and run from the other side of the road.
The farm dogs were the worst. The feral dogs remind me of dingos - they will try sneak up from behind. Pretend to reach down for a rock and they will run away.

I can't answer your questions on where to go near Phuket but the roads are generally very good there. From what I remember of the south they also have the scooter lanes on major roads, and side roads are of good quality. And there's usually a little shack selling drinks and snacks even when you think you're in the middle of nowhere.

Happy days, have fun.