Parents terrified cyclists will maim their children

g-boaf

Parents terrified cyclists will maim their children

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:26 am

http://ten.com.au/ten-news-sydney.htm?vid=2681042315001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Parents are terrified that cyclists will injure or maim their children outside of Fort Street School. They even wheel out the very pedestrian Harold Scruby. :roll:

il padrone

Re: Parents terrified cyclists will maim their children

Postby il padrone » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:33 am

Something about taxi-run car drop-offs ??

Ban the car-parking along a cycle route. Widen the shared path or add separate footpath. Kids get to walk on a wider path and footpaths to school. Yes, cycle commuters need to grow up and slow down - no better than moron motorists.
Last edited by il padrone on Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:39 am

Harold Scruby says there is no insurance. Yes, I agree with him. When will pedestrians with iPods who knock over cyclists be forced to have insurance to cover the damage they cause?

The video is a terrible wind up, and this whole thing could be sorted out far better. If I see Channel 10's reporter I might do a "Jaymes Diaz" style questioning on him.

Cyclists and the school should get together and push for a better outcome. The risk of being hit by a car door looks very bad there.
il padrone wrote: Yes, cycle commuters need to grow up and slow down - no better than moron motorists.
Don't be fooled. You can do all sorts of visual tricks with close range camera positioning. You can make 8km/h look like a far quicker speed.

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:47 am

They have a valid point.

The area outside the school apears to have no markings to determine where anyone should be riding or a designated pedestrian crossing.
School P&C lobby groups are very powerfull when targeting child safety issues - dont be fooled by their open and welcoming appearence :roll:

This is a situation where all groups conserned need to get together to find a workable solution.

From what I saw in the video, there wasnt any out of control, reckless cycling behavior going on, but kids do wacky things when they see where they want to go and there is a road between them and their goal. Parents dropping off kids at school are also capable of complete stupidity, so clearly defined crossings and bike through runs should be established here.
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:33 pm

They should be asking for the removal of the risk of cars - more kids have been killed by cars than bikes for DECADES.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:34 pm

I'm well aware of the behaviour of P&C groups.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:36 pm

As a pedestrian I am angry and upset that a bloke who claims to care about pedestrian safety makes no response about the 50 pedestrians killed in NSW every year caused by the impact of a motor vehicle and yet he is obsessed with cycling where the number of pedestrian fatalities per year caused by impact with a bicycle is virtually zero.

As far as I can tell the only other time he powers up his fax machine is in relation to ipods. Never mind that ~50% of pedestrian fatalities are over 60 and ~30% are over 70.

As for kids around school, the single biggest risk of death and maiming comes from parents driving their own kids to school :roll:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:28 pm

So Ch10 is a part of the Terrorgraf empire?

A little perspective...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:33 pm

So , are the parents parking on a bike path then? Seems like not enough room for the public and parked cars. It would be the same if we all parked beside a rail track and then made the train go really slow.
I realise the mums want to drive the kids to school, but it still seem to come to town planning.The cyclists have to get to work too. I would say that is what should have been said but it is just easier to start a controversy.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Had a look at that school on Google maps. Talk about crazy town planning !! The school is completely encircled by an on-ramp to the Bradfield Expressway leading to the Harbor Bridge. And they complain about some cyclists riding by :roll:
Mandatory helmet law?

a

Postby a » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:20 pm

But the on ramp is in a deep cutting and does not impact on the school at all.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:25 pm

a wrote:But the on ramp is in a deep cutting and does not impact on the school at all.
If you discount being educated in a whirlpool of airborne carcinogens...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:14 am

a wrote:But the on ramp is in a deep cutting and does not impact on the school at all.
I still regard it as insane town planning.

They should just build a pedestrian bridge across the on-ramp from the west side and the kids can all walk in to school :idea:
Mandatory helmet law?

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:48 am

This is no ones fault but another case of bad planning. A separate bike path needs to be built so cyclists don't have to go onto Upper Fort St. Never used this cycle route but sounds correct?

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:16 pm

Never used this cycle route but sounds correct? Bout right.
Been riding thru here for now close to 30 years… It is a offspring from when the cahill expressway went in around the ‘50/60s and no one wants to own. Ok in the 80s and 90s when no one really commuted in and out of the cbd and it kinda worked but now is running at its peak and needs to be fixed for one and all.The super commuters riding at speed plus the mix of newbies and slower new riders just getting the hang of riding in and out makes me slow right down and take it easy as I have seen too many bike to bike prangs.
FWIW Bikers really do need to slow down around here and I would go for a 10 k limit if the cars going in and out had the same limit. (During the week parking is chockers with peoples doing boot camp – all hours and on the weekend it is a peak spot for wedding pics and the hire cars park out the place.
BikeSydney has this on the radar…
http://bikesydney.org/new10/wp-content/ ... 012%29.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:03 am

rebilda wrote:School P&C lobby groups are very powerfull when targeting child safety issues
Yep. They've banned kids from riding their bikes to our local primary school.

Apparently, kids on bikes are too hard to see from the driver's seat of an X5.

Australia is fat and lazy. We need to lose the "car is king" mentality.

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:11 am

Living quite close to a Catholic School, I would be more than happy if they would just ban Parents from driving their Kids to School.

My neighbor used to drive his kids to School - Across the road!!!
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:12 am

rkelsen wrote:
rebilda wrote:School P&C lobby groups are very powerfull when targeting child safety issues

How are they supposed to see child PEDESTRIANS? :shock: :shock:

God, some people have their priorities wrong. I've flat out refused to get a 4WD/SUV when we upgrade the Corolla, because I cannot encourage the sale of these vehicles. There is certainly a place for them - but how many people would do what my father in law did with his newly delivered, 2 week old Cruiser 100 series with metallic paint? SCRATCHED TO HELL IN THE BUSH. 70 grand, scratched already. Didn't respray.

Priorities. You either want to protect your kids, and society, or you don't. :idea:

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:16 am

Xplora wrote:
rkelsen wrote:

How are they supposed to see child PEDESTRIANS? :shock: :shock:

God, some people have their priorities wrong. I've flat out refused to get a 4WD/SUV when we upgrade the Corolla, because I cannot encourage the sale of these vehicles. There is certainly a place for them - but how many people would do what my father in law did with his newly delivered, 2 week old Cruiser 100 series with metallic paint? SCRATCHED TO HELL IN THE BUSH. 70 grand, scratched already. Didn't respray.

Priorities. You either want to protect your kids, and society, or you don't. :idea:
I have to say, the visability from my Hilux is very good. Nice big mirrors, and a reversing camera :D . But of course the thing is, you have to actually LOOK.
This is something that people just dont have time to do these days :(

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:31 am

rebilda wrote:Living quite close to a Catholic School, I would be more than happy if they would just ban Parents from driving their Kids to School.

My neighbor used to drive his kids to School - Across the road!!!
It isn't just parents. Last week I watched a car turn out their driveway onto the same road as me. They overtook me, went around the roundabout ahead of me then did a u-turn and parked their car....100m from their house and on the same side of the road! They got out and crossed the road to the bus stop. That is just total madness.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:33 am

rebilda wrote: This is something that people just dont have time to do these days :(
This is the only reason to drive a car. The ONLY one. There is nothing convenient about them or cheap, they just get the job done quicker... so if the time improvement is not enough, then you have to look at your life - because society can't pay for your failure to manage your time.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:48 am

Xplora wrote:
rebilda wrote: This is something that people just dont have time to do these days :(
This is the only reason to drive a car. The ONLY one. There is nothing convenient about them or cheap, they just get the job done quicker... so if the time improvement is not enough, then you have to look at your life - because society can't pay for your failure to manage your time.
Fail

Freeways solve congestion - the great myth

Lewis Mumford made some pertinent statements:

"Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends"
"Adding highway lanes to deal with traffic congestion is like loosening your belt to cure obesity"
"Our national flower is the concrete cloverleaf"
Last edited by il padrone on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Xplora wrote:I've flat out refused to get a 4WD/SUV when we upgrade the Corolla, because I cannot encourage the sale of these vehicles.
Me too.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:19 pm

What would Kochie do?
Not my circus, not my monkeys

kunama

Postby kunama » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:16 pm

Last edited by kunama on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.