Can increase bike size by 1 possible?

mirz

Can increase bike size by 1 possible?

Postby mirz » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:24 pm

I bought a giant tcr advanced 1 bike last year from someone. It was hardly used on descent price. It's size is medium. I was new to bike riding and was moving from hybrid to road bike. I tried bike for 10-20 mins and found very zippy and responsive.

btw I'm 180 cms tall.

Normally ride it for around 28-30 Kms in one go without any problem.

But for longer rides don't feel comfortable. I checked with lbs and they told me that I should have have bought medium/large size instead of just medium. It is one size bigger.

Now my question from all experts here is there a way to make size bigger? I mean longer stem under saddle and moving handle bar bit higher by adding something under handle bar stem?

My biggest worry is bupa around the bay where going for 210 Kms.

Please advise, thanking you all.
My ride: Giant TCR Advanced 1

Duck!
Expert

Re: Can increase bike size by 1 possible?

Postby Duck! » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:46 pm

Looking at Giant's sizing chart, at 180cm you're in the overlap zone between the M & M/L sizes, so you should be able to adjust your bike to suit. The TCRs come fitted with quite a long seatpost, so you should be able to lift it to suit (many smaller frames actually need the post cut down in order to fit the rider, due to the post bottoming out on the wheel cutout in the seat tube). Just be sure there is AT LEAST 80mm of seatpost still inside the frame. The post also has a two-position head on it, to offer two offset angles. Typically they're set on the forward position out of the box. Moving the clamp head back increases saddle offset by about 15mm.

To raise the handlebar, the stem can be "flipped" so it points upward slightly, rather than flat which it most probably currently is. You can also fit a longer stem if necessary. If you're not too sure what you're doing, and what result you're looking for, take the bike to a shop and arrange a proper fitting. Unless you've got some really whacked-out body proportions, your bike should be able to be set up quite well for you.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

open roader

Postby open roader » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:51 pm

mirz wrote:But for longer rides don't feel comfortable. I checked with lbs and they told me that I should have have bought medium/large size instead of just medium. It is one size bigger.
Highly subjective question and answer.

I'm 179cm tall. I rode a TCR Advanced 1 (2009 model) size M for 18 months and despite altering stem length, saddle type, saddle rail length and position position etc I always felt too stretched out and too much weight on my wrists and lower back pressure and thus too large for my own comfort requirement.

I've since built a pair of road bikes with one frame size approx. size smaller than the previous TCR Adv. frame and find these a much more comfortable ride over any distance. However, as I stated before this is a highly subjective proposition.

Before you go changing frames and frame sizes I'd recommend you consider bike adjustments such as your stem length and angle, saddle type and position/s and even your hood/shifter angles before wholesale frame change.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:04 pm

Height is a quick guide to getting a bike size, but leg length and reach are more important. I can ride a bike with the same saddle height as my brother in law, but his bike is way to small for me. He is a lot shorter than I but has long legs, while I have short. The difference in bike size between him and me is in the top tube length.

You might be able to gain some length int he bike with a longer stem nd by setting the saddle back, but depending on your proportions you might not.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:31 pm

To answer your question can not see any reason why not.

I am 183cm tall and ride a collection of bikes with frame sizes between L (580mm TT) & S (535mm effective TT)

My first bike was sold to me as you are 183cm tall, you ride a large 580mm frame. I rode it for a couple of years with a 110mm stem.

Then I accidentally built up a single speed on a 560mm frame with a 110mm stem. I found myself riding faster, more aggressively and enjoying the ride more. So the 580mm got a 90mm slammed stem.

When I started racing bought a 55.5cm effective TT bike with a 110mm stem, and have raced that for 18 months.

Then a beautiful alloy frame at a price I could not refuse, it was a small 535mm frame, so I added a 130mm stem and it is now my crit bike.

All bikes have the same seat height and saddle set back, so my legs are in exactly the same position, the real difference frame size, corresponding stem length and bar position (height) .

The longer the stem, the more the weight is over the front wheel. The 580mm steel frame, 90mm stem is a pretty laid back lazy, ride. The twitchy 535mm frame with 130mm stem is great for riding aggressively, but not a bike I want to spend more than a couple hours on.

My advice get your legs right, then start playing with stem length and bar height to find the right position for you.
Last edited by nickobec on Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:28 am

TCR is also quite an aggressive geometry, more race oriented with a low front end. I'd try flipping the stem to start with.

For a bike shop fit fit they should be putting you and bike in a fluid trainer and watching you pedal at a range of intensities.

If you want to see the difference a proper fit can make I can post links to before and after vids taken of me by Blair at The Body Mechanic.

mirz

Postby mirz » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks guys, this is so encouraging. I been advised earlier by one bike shop to sell medium/large and buy new large one as only solution.

I'll try your tips one by one and see how it will go.

I'm not sure where to go for bike fit, and how much would it cost :( any suggestions pls, thanks.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:35 am

Also worth noting that coming from a hybrid to a race bike is basically jumping the extremes of the bike setup world, so even a correctly fitted setup is going to feel weird for a while until you get used to it.

Just about any shop should be able to do a setup for you, for about $40-50, although you can also get some really in depth setups done, which can cost up to around $300.

If the bike is less than a couple of years old, you'd be best to go to a shop that is a Giant dealer in case the handlebar stem needs to be changed. The reason being that Giant use a rather uncommon steerer tube (the top of the fork that the stem clamps to) size, 1 1/4" rather than the standard 1 1/8". Very few component manufacturers make stems to suit, although they do exist, but a Giant dealer should have a selection on hand.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

mirz

Postby mirz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:51 am

trailgumby wrote:TCR is also quite an aggressive geometry, more race oriented with a low front end. I'd try flipping the stem to start with.

For a bike shop fit fit they should be putting you and bike in a fluid trainer and watching you pedal at a range of intensities.

If you want to see the difference a proper fit can make I can post links to before and after vids taken of me by Blair at The Body Mechanic.
Would you mind posting these link, thanks.

mirz

Postby mirz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:57 am

Duck! wrote:Also worth noting that coming from a hybrid to a race bike is basically jumping the extremes of the bike setup world, so even a correctly fitted setup is going to feel weird for a while until you get used to it.

Just about any shop should be able to do a setup for you, for about $40-50, although you can also get some really in depth setups done, which can cost up to around $300.

If the bike is less than a couple of years old, you'd be best to go to a shop that is a Giant dealer in case the handlebar stem needs to be changed. The reason being that Giant use a rather uncommon steerer tube (the top of the fork that the stem clamps to) size, 1 1/4" rather than the standard 1 1/8". Very few component manufacturers make stems to suit, although they do exist, but a Giant dealer should have a selection on hand.
Here is the link to my bike:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... ifications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll start with moving seat post up and slight back first and see how it will go.

My nearest giant bike shop is in essendon, that would be next option in next week.

mirz

Postby mirz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:00 pm

open roader wrote:
mirz wrote:But for longer rides don't feel comfortable. I checked with lbs and they told me that I should have have bought medium/large size instead of just medium. It is one size bigger.
Highly subjective question and answer.

I'm 179cm tall. I rode a TCR Advanced 1 (2009 model) size M for 18 months and despite altering stem length, saddle type, saddle rail length and position position etc I always felt too stretched out and too much weight on my wrists and lower back pressure and thus too large for my own comfort requirement.

I've since built a pair of road bikes with one frame size approx. size smaller than the previous TCR Adv. frame and find these a much more comfortable ride over any distance. However, as I stated before this is a highly subjective proposition.

Before you go changing frames and frame sizes I'd recommend you consider bike adjustments such as your stem length and angle, saddle type and position/s and even your hood/shifter angles before wholesale frame change.
Pls correct me here, did you find a frame smaller than M more comfortable for ride?

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:29 pm

I have 2 medium sized TCR's and I'm 175cm. Both are comfortable but one has a 20mm offset seatpost and I do stretch to reach the bars on that bike. The other has no offset and it's perfect in every way. Check your seatpost and if it has no offset that might be worth considering. Together with a longer stem it might make all the difference. I've been meaning to change my offset seatpost but hav'nt gotten around to it.

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:38 pm

mirz wrote:Pls correct me here, did you find a frame smaller than M more comfortable for ride?
No correction required.

Yes, at 179cm tall I found a shorter TT frame than the Giant TCR Adv. 1 in a size M more comfortable for me to ride.

My point was that before you swap frames/bikes have a systematic attempt at adjusting the fit of the bike as I have found that only very minor adjustemnts can make a major difference in comfort.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

mirz

Postby mirz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:50 am

Thanks guys for your much valuable contribution. I'll try these on this weekend and see how it will go.

Current not in position to buy bike as going through house building process, plus I love this bike.

kunama

Postby kunama » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:17 pm

I ride the 2011 TCR Adv1 in the Large frame and I am 193cm, it is a little small but as I get older I prefer to be a bit more upright.
I have it set up with the Cinelli Neo 120mm stem and FSA KWing 44cm bars, perfect fit for me at 56yrs.
I would think you at 180cm can get a good fit on the medium playing with the items discussed above.

I previously have several C'dale bikes in 63cm, I find the TCR sizings rather different to other brands.

mirz

Postby mirz » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:47 pm

Today I have made two changes, and did a short ride (family commitments) over the weekend.

1. Moved seat post up from 87 to 100. These are markings on seat post. So it's higher now.

2. Also moved seat backward, from 30 to 10. Again these are the markings on the seat.

ImageImage

I'll be riding to working tomorrow morning, it's around 29 Kms, will carry Alan keys in pocket :-)

mirz

Postby mirz » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:40 am

Above change made a significant difference.

Thanks guys.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:50 am

13mm heighrt increase (for a trained cyclist) would be 'HUGE'. Most of us long-term guys can feel when the saddle is more than a few mm off our "normal" height.

1. Use the Competetive Cyclist Fit Calculator.
2. Buy/borrow the Steve Hogg bike fitting vid (Sitting Pretty), get the basics sorted.
3. Top Tube is the important length. Everything else can be fiddled with, even if you have to change the fork to get a longer steerer and run spacers!
4. Seat Post angle isn't accounted for in the calculator. You need to get your saddle setback sorted for what is comfortable for YOU. This will affect the effective top tube length, see (3) above!
5. If you can't make your current bike work, you can either sell it (usually a huge loss) or pick up a cheap alloy frame (ie. Ribble house brand) for a "coupla hundred" landed and swap all the parts over and sell the frame by itself. You should break even that way. Yes, you don't get a nice carbon frame, but sometimes this is the cheapest way to keep riding.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...