Lancelin - Hell of the North 2013

Aushiker

Lancelin - Hell of the North 2013

Postby Aushiker » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:45 pm

It looks like a couple of recumbents got to play in the Lancelin - Hell of the North 2013 this year. Maybe we should enter a recumbent team in some of these cyclosportifs next year :)

Source: Imgur and Reddit

Andrew

find_bruce

Re: Lancelin - Hell of the North 2013

Postby find_bruce » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:32 pm

I am still laughing at the idea of Lancelin being "North" - its only just over 100ks from Perth
Anything you can do, I can do slower

william

Postby william » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:57 pm

Great photos.

The tandem pair appear to be having fun although the stoker seems perplexed about being there.

There is a lot of rides where recumbents seem not wanted without the statement. One that is up front is the organisers of "Amy's Ride". They state that recumbent cycles are not allowed but handicapped cycles are. Confusing? You bet.

stevenurseau

Postby stevenurseau » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:38 pm

I like to kick back against any and all recumbent bike bans in public rides. After kicking up a stink, recumbent riders have successfully overturned recumbent bans on "Round the Bay in a Day" and "Eastlink" rides. In both cases organisers couldn't cite any safety or other reasons for bans. A bit of pootling round an Amy's ride site (http://amysridevic.gofundraise.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) didn't bring up any mention of a ban but I think registrations are closed at this stage.

Regards Steve Nurse

nessbike

Postby nessbike » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:07 pm

Used to be buried in the bottom of their rules and regulations like most of the these rides. Supporting cycling - as long as you fit their mould!

william

Postby william » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:48 pm

Sorry if I was misleading, a little. It was Amy's Grand Fondo and here is the copy of text from Terms and Conditions;

Compliance with Directions
44. During the Ride, the Rider must comply with all directions issued by Police and all instructions given by the AGF or any employees or officials representing the AGF at the Ride. Failure to do so may result in the Rider being removed from the Ride.
45. The Rider must wear an Australian standard cycling helmet at all times during the Ride while riding a bicycle.
46. The Rider may ride any two wheeled road or mountain bike, tandem or three wheeled bike (for athletes with disabilities). The following are not permitted: Recumbents, disc wheels, tri or aero bars.

Just a little disappointing.

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:23 pm

Especially when the following points are true:
* It's not actually a UCI event, even though the start banner has UCI plastered over it.
* It's not a race.
* It's a charity event sponsored by the Victorian Government.

I'm sure that anti-discrimination laws could be cited to the Vic Govt and that, as Steve says, safety concerns are unfounded. Maybe we're too fast for them. I didn't note anything stating no velomobiles, although I've yet to see a three wheeled bike.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:31 am

Interestingly recumbents are specifically permitted on events run by bicycle NSW including the Sydney Spring Cycle
22.Only standard human-powered bicycles, unicycles, tricycles, recumbent, cargo bicycles, tandem bicycles, motor-assisted electrical pedal cycles, kick scooters and hand cycles are permitted on the event.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

william

Postby william » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:35 pm

Thats why I like Audax events. You ride it, pedal, push or kick it. If its road legal and human effort, follow the safety rules and you're in.