Child run over by truck (QLD)

g-boaf

Child run over by truck (QLD)

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:31 pm

Terrible tragedy: :(

http://m.smh.com.au/queensland/young-bo ... 2u7ju.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

familyguy

Re: Child run over by truck (QLD)

Postby familyguy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:02 pm

Truly tragic. I'll be interested in seeing how they argue this vs. the recent Qld fatal accident.

Jim

AKO

Postby AKO » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Absolute tragedy. I was quite disgusted that the 7 new reporter only mentioned that the truck driver was being treated for shock. I'd imagine the boys parents aren't too thrilled about the event either.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:43 pm

I'm wondering how on earth it could have happened, from everything I've read about it. :?

For what it is worth, I was out riding a while back and a father and his little son had to go out on a road due to a section of cycleway closed. I was going the same direction and made sure I stayed behind the kid (maybe 5-6 years old). To be fair, it was a fairly quiet suburban street, but still, with the way drivers are these days... Better they run over me than a kid. :oops: We shouldn't even have to think like that, but given how some drivers behave with seemingly total lack of situational awareness, what else can you do.

This is getting towards a sort of critical mass now, much like the USA is with the gun control issue. How many more times must bicycle riders end up under the wheels of a car or truck before real concrete action to improve rider safety and address driver attitudes towards cycling occurs? And even worse, this time it was just a kid, a little child who had an entire life ahead.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:58 pm

When I ride with the kids on the road I always make sure they stick as close as practical to the gutter. I then ride behind them about a 1 1/2m into the traffic to force the cars to slow down. If the have issues with that I am quite happy for them to pull over and "discuss" it with me.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:17 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:When I ride with the kids on the road I always make sure they stick as close as practical to the gutter. I then ride behind them about a 1 1/2m into the traffic to force the cars to slow down. If the have issues with that I am quite happy for them to pull over and "discuss" it with me.
Worked for me back in the day. They're both pretty confident now but don't ride enough any more to make a habit of it.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:35 am

singlespeedscott wrote:When I ride with the kids on the road I always make sure they stick as close as practical to the gutter. I then ride behind them about a 1 1/2m into the traffic to force the cars to slow down. If the have issues with that I am quite happy for them to pull over and "discuss" it with me.
I remember riding along like this with my son (then ~7yo) one night past a shopping strip when he yelled out louder than I could at a car pulling out towards us from a side street :lol:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:18 am

g-boaf wrote:This is getting towards a sort of critical mass now, much like the USA is with the gun control issue. How many more times must bicycle riders end up under the wheels of a car or truck before real concrete action to improve rider safety and address driver attitudes towards cycling occurs? And even worse, this time it was just a kid, a little child who had an entire life ahead.
I sincerely hope you are right. This will certainly be inconvenient for them... none the less the public has a very short memory.

I understand that there is no law requiring motorists to give way to cyclists when turning left (known loophole in QLD) so the driver will have to be charged under a more general offence. This will increase their chance of getting off scott free. Whether they were riding or not looks like it will make a big difference to the outcome.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:15 am

What a terrible thing to happen. I feel for the parents.

It scares me riding with my kids on the roads. They haven't developed any road craft yet and are frequently in front of me. The only current solution I have is to get them to stop at every intersection and wait for me, aside from the technique from above having them ride in front in the gutter while I cover from further out and behind.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:41 pm

I've just started riding on the road with my son (just quite urban streets). But I've been riding beside him (with him on the inside next to the gutter), this way he can't swing out into the road into the path of a car without crashing into me first.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:54 pm

Please Note : Think before posting.
Perhaps create a thread for safe-cycling tips when riding with kids rather than linking to bad news.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:15 pm

What a shocking tragedy. Without knowing the road layout, how could you see the Mother & not the kids?
As a Father I cannot even comprehend the pain the poor family must be feeling... :cry:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:34 am

twizzle wrote:Please Note : Think before posting.
Perhaps create a thread for safe-cycling tips when riding with kids rather than linking to bad news.
Rather than posting in a snarky, I'm better than you manner, maybe post it yourself.... :roll:

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:23 am

Seemingly natural progression if the topic isn't it.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:38 am

g-boaf wrote:
twizzle wrote:Please Note : Think before posting.
Rather than posting in a snarky, I'm better than you manner, maybe post it yourself.... :roll:
1. If you had bothered to look, you were more than four hours behind.
2. I was referring to not connecting the safe cycling tips with this thread.

Guess what, it's not all about you.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...