2013 Cycling Fatalities

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: 2013 Cycling Fatalities

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:43 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:I'm sure theres been more than 1 death here too.
:(

I don't suppose I have to mention-in any sort of official way-that regardless of circumstances, a child has been taken from his parents way too early and that due respect should be shown when posting?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:54 pm

There's been comments on this article, or do you mean this thread? It's too sketchy and early for anyone to be commenting on who's at fault. I think this is why this has been a fairly subdued incident today. Whatever the outcome, a life lost too early. May he find peace.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:57 pm

What a tragic accident, all in view of his brother, mother and grandparents. Just terrible for the family! Guess the facts surrounding the accident will be known in due course.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Just having a close lookk at the intersection, and I am thinking if the boy was crossing Narangba Rd at the intersection, AND he was hit by a truck making a turn, then the truck was either

A: traveling east on Anzac Av and turned left into Narangba Rd, where there's no light, BUT a ped crossing.

B: traveling south on Narangba Rd, and turning left into Anzac Ave, where the traffic lights apply. In this case, there was talk of the light sequences not being long enough for peds. However, if the light had just turned green for the truck, it should have been just accelerating from a stationary position.

Will be interesting to see what unfolded here. Hard to imagine this would have happened if everyone exercised more caution. How often do I see peds step out onto ped crossings without looking both ways!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:22 pm

Mod Reminder: I kindly remind participants to be sensitive in their discussion and consider that speculation and some discussions can be distressing to family and friends.
Cycling is in my BNA

zero

Postby zero » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:24 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:What in Fred's name is wrong with Qld drivers?
A five year old crossing the road!
The father in me feels very sick right now, all strength to the youngsters family. :(

Go hug your kids people.
depends on who mismanaged those lights. The mudtruckers in Brisbane are IMO worse and more arrogant than the bus drivers, and while you'd expect parents to also be responsible enough to educate their kids on the importance if obeying traffic signals of any kind, I myself have in the last 2 months had a family ride across a red light and nearly caused me to roll a truck with 8000 litres of Ozblue onboard whilst trying to avoid them.
We know nothing as yet.
Regardless of the state of the lights, turning drivers are required to give way to the footcrossing users. Its actually fairly rare in my experience for grouped children to ride out onto 4 lane roads, its usual for the group to regroup at the lights unless the lights are set for them.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:35 pm

Will remove this shortly. Draft for a fb post I need to put here while I restart my phone.
Regarding today's Brisbane fatality and to all that have expressed concern:
The lighted intersection where this acident occurred is known to TMR and SCA has been told that this is not the first fatality to have occurred here.
That the lights are infamous to the locals for dangerously short cycles is a possible cause however it is simply too early to know who is at fault here, or indeed whether fault can be aportioned definitively at all.
We should resist drawing any conclusions tonight and await the investigation's findings.
It's a pain in the backside I know. Usually there is alot more detail 12 or more hours after the fact.
We can join the families of those involved in todays incident in mourning the loss of a life lost too young.Image
Last edited by The 2nd Womble on Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:42 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Mod Reminder: I kindly remind participants to be sensitive in their discussion and consider that speculation and some discussions can be distressing to family and friends.
I find one or two of the comments to be highly offensive and distressing & I have never met the little boy. I cannot imagine how upsetting it would be for family & friends to read such comments.

My thoughts are with his family & friends trying to cope with how a pleasant Sunday ride with family ended with a life cut short far too young

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:48 am

RIP young man. Many condolences to the family. My prayers go out to a family that has lost a son far to early.

This is one thread I hate seeing.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:04 am

Mulger bill wrote:What in Fred's name is wrong with Qld drivers?
A five year old crossing the road!
The father in me feels very sick right now, all strength to the youngsters family. :(

Go hug your kids people.
Agree totally. I was pretty horrified when I read the news. I don't have kids and even I feel sick thinking about it.

You just cannot be too careful around traffic lights. :(

My sympathies go out to the family. :( I think we all share their grief and sadness.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:18 am

Just read this on the Courier Mail website.
Witnesses said Myles Sparling was in the middle of the family convoy when a truck turning the corner at the intersection of Anzac Ave and Narangba Road in Kallangur hit him about 10am.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 6724625840" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:32 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Just read this on the Courier Mail website.
Witnesses said Myles Sparling was in the middle of the family convoy when a truck turning the corner at the intersection of Anzac Ave and Narangba Road in Kallangur hit him about 10am.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 6724625840" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:shock: :shock: :shock:
"In the middle of the family convoy"... on a pedestrian crossing... and still this occurs. Just tragic.

kunama

Postby kunama » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:04 am

My sincerest condolences to the little boy's family!

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:39 am

briztoon wrote:RIP young man. Many condolences to the family. My prayers go out to a family that has lost a son far to early.

This is one thread I hate seeing.
Plus 1. As a parent it makes me sick in the stomach hearing about this....

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Edit: sorry. Last post was not a cycling fatality

hosko

Postby hosko » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:07 pm

Some sad news this morning...

Gold Coast has suffered a loss this morning a day after the GCFOC

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/201 ... -news.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:26 pm

hosko wrote:Some sad news this morning...

Gold Coast has suffered a loss this morning a day after the GCFOC

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/201 ... -news.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Only in his late 20s :cry: Just a young dude out doing what we all love, very sorry to hear about this.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:19 pm

I saw this on the news tonight. Sincerest condolences to the family of the rider.

reefer

Postby reefer » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:25 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-11/n ... nt/5017754" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:37 pm

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:04 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:
RIP mate.
Very sad day indeed. He was a mate who I have known for just over 10 years and worked with for a number of years

A great bloke lost RIP.

crazyjose

Postby crazyjose » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:32 pm

Mugglechops wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:
RIP mate.
Very sad day indeed. He was a mate who I have known for just over 10 years and worked with for a number of years

A great bloke lost RIP.

I concur, a great fun loving bloke, loved life and his family, always said g'day at the Mont and Scott, and always asked about my bikes, never came first or last, but
gave the race thing ago for the fun of it and being with mates. Known him for over 20 years as a workmate, my sincerest condolences to your family, RIP bloke.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:55 pm

Sadly Saturday bought another fatality at Yan Yean
the Age wrote:A cyclist has died following a crash with a car on Saturday morning in Melbourne’s outer north-east suburbs.

Police say they believe two cyclists were riding east along Donnybrook Road, Yan Yean, near to Plenty Road, about 7.25am, when one of the cyclists was struck by a Toyota sedan. The cyclist, aged in his 30s, died at the scene.

The driver, aged in his 50s, was also travelling east, and is assisting police.

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:00 am

Sadly Saturday bought another fatality at Yan Yean
A cyclist has died following a collision with a car this morning in Yan Yean.

It’s believed two cyclists were riding east along Donnybrook Road, near the intersection of Plenty Road, when one of the cyclists were struck by a car also travelling east around 7.25am.

The man, believed to be in his 30s died at the scene.

The driver of the Toyota sedan, a man in his 50s is currently assisting police.

Epping Highway Patrol investigating members are hoping to speak with a female travelling west on Donnybrook Road just after the collision who stopped and rendered assistance to the deceased man.

Police will prepare a report for the coroner.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or to visit http://www.crimestoppers.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://vicpolicenews.com.au/news/1636-c ... ision.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've ridden Donnybrook Road often. It has a nice shoulder and the road is dead straight. Cars pass at 100kph but I've never felt threatened. Sad that somebody has died and it's completely unnecessary. I have my suspicions but better I say nothing I guess. Condolences to the family.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:46 am

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 2vg17.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:cry: