How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:42 pm

just realised I've passed my commuting total for 2012
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5994
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

by BNA » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:20 pm

BNA
 

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Dan » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:20 pm

jasonc wrote:just realised I've passed my commuting total for 2012


Top job!
User avatar
Dan
 
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:32 pm
Location: Vegas, baby

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:14 am

Wet roads again this morning. Dry now but I'm sure they'll be wet again by the time I knock off :roll:
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:01 am

Friday afternoon's ride back was spent getting damp in localised showers, drying out when there was a gap in the clouds, rinse...repeat. No issues other than a really gritty and grimy bike in dire need of attention over the weekend.
Cool start this morning, dry and clear all the way into the CBD. Looks like a lovely day here in Melbourne, except for the northerly which is forecast to increase in strength during the day...
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
User avatar
TailWind
 
Posts: 1256
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Mill Park, Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Dropbear20 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:37 am

Dan wrote:
jasonc wrote:just realised I've passed my commuting total for 2012


Top job!


+1 - and there are still 3 months to go.

Same old same old here - hot and sweaty. I road 255km last week, my longest ever. This is my 8th day in a row riding...no wonder I felt flat this morning. There are still a couple more days before the GP track is cleared and the traffic is back to normal. Then it might be time for a rest day.
User avatar
Dropbear20
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Singapore

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Thrilloilogy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:59 pm

This mornings commute was my first "incident" since commencing commuting by bike again. I was riding on Delhi Rd in the direction of Chatswood and was crossing the M2 intersection. I was in the bike lane. This lady, waiting to merge from the M2 onto Delhi, who made eye contact with me as I approached, edged forward. I also had my flashing light on. I yelled out, "wait" numerous times. But she kept coming. The motorist in the lane next to me realised what was about to happen, and let me into his lane proper, where I was able to get to a safe position. I thought about pushing in her side mirror, but I am proud to say I didn't.
Thrilloilogy
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:52 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:05 am

Headwind going in and elevenpointfive hours later a headwind going home.
And I broke a spoke :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25798
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby lobstermash » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:43 am

Stunning weather has returned to Canberra. Today I kicked off what will hopefully become a new tradition. One of my buddies can only commute one day a week, and it's usually on Tuesdays. He rides an old Spokesman with a few modern touches, so I splashed out on an all original Apollo I (all 13.7kg of it) for $20 to make it 'Retro Ruesday'.
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash
 
Posts: 974
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:51 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:39 am

Overcast day in the Hunter Valley today...still warmish...sort of. My first morning without a jacket..still had the long johns on however.

Have cut my commutes back of late to be simply door to door rides. Am now challenging myself with some strava segments so alternating between taking things easy and going hard for bursts. Have met most of my goals for the year so am using the strava segments to try and keep myself motivated.

Strong headwinds all the way home for the last two months have also forced me to take things a touch easier.
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:13 am

Perth:

Again the day was not as miserable as I anticipated when I was leaving the warmth of the house.

Still only the few really keen riders out there. Parker aka Misty24 aka Rowena caught me for the second time in twelve hours.

I appreciate the hello Rowena. I like to think that you are stalking me. At my age I flatter myself as much as I can. These days, if a dealer approached me on the street to sell me drugs I'd take it as a compliment. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
 
Posts: 4697
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:21 pm

Horrid headwind last night- absolutely buggered by the time I got home, particularly as I turned around and picked up a local KOM I have been eying off for months. Didn't rain thankfully but I am wishing for warm (not hot) calm weather for a change. This morning more windy/wet carp. More of a crosswind though. Similar tonight apparently.
Image
User avatar
CXCommuter
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:18 am
Location: Perth WA

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:29 pm

CXCommuter wrote:.... particularly as I turned around and picked up a local KOM I have been eying off for months.....


Depending on the force of my headwind home, I am thinking of doing this myself..turning around to grab a KOM. Just got to battle the headwind for 30 k's first and at the same time try and remain as fresh as I can be.
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:20 pm

gretaboy wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:.... particularly as I turned around and picked up a local KOM I have been eying off for months.....


Depending on the force of my headwind home, I am thinking of doing this myself..turning around to grab a KOM. Just got to battle the headwind for 30 k's first and at the same time try and remain as fresh as I can be.


That was a big problem last night- not helped by a guy overtaking me (shock horror!!) which triggered CCR pride (which I regained)
Image
User avatar
CXCommuter
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:18 am
Location: Perth WA

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:35 pm

I rode from Belmont to Perth this morning with quite a fresh wind. It added 8 minutes to a 9 km trip... quite a lot! Usual is 24 minutes, this morning was 32 mins.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7328
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:06 pm

jasonc wrote:just realised I've passed my commuting total for 2012

Congrats.

Remarkable how physical people doing all the hard work don't notice when they get to where they intended. You'd never find a successful dieter missing a milestone.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
 
Posts: 4697
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby VRE » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:55 pm

I nearly got hit by a cyclist riding the other way, while riding home today. I was on a winding section of the Koonung Creek Trail, and got stuck behind 2 pedestrians, so I had 3 choices: (a) stay behind them at walking speed for at least the next 100m until the path straightened out; (b) ask them to move over to form single file (b#gger all chance of that occurring); or (c) carefully overtake. I started doing (c), moving at no more than about 15km/h, when some moron came around the next bend cycling at a speed at least 15km/h more than what was reasonable for that section of path. As he skimmed past, barely missing me, he swore at me. That guy's a first-class w#nker. Shared paths aren't for doing time-trials.
User avatar
VRE
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am
Location: Ringwood North, VIC, Australia

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby bychosis » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:18 pm

Yesterday, perfect weather in the morning, first commute in 2 weeks, maiden voyage on the updated fixie - great.
Yesterday arvo, bars turned a bit, seat dropped on the way home - ok.
This morning a bit overcast, crank is loose after a couple of mins, so stop to tighten with multitool and enjoy the ride again ... for a while, flat tyre at 2.5km and no patch kit or pump so walked the rest of the way to work pushing the bike. - shocker.
Dropped in at home whe out and about and grabbed a tube, pump and shifter to unbolt the rim so I could ride home
Ride home ok, but crank loosened again in the last few mins.
Tomorrow, take extra spares and cross fingers for a better run.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 2280
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:08 am

Well after so many boring rides I had one massive shocker yesterday.

It seems d@#khead P plater season is once again open. All up had about 5 separate incidents of P platers thinking it was funny to either lean on the horn or scream out loudly as they drive past.

The topper was the P plater who threw something at me. I was blissfully riding into the headwind, yet again, when I felt something hit my right calf. I immediately looked down and saw something falling away, I then looked up and saw a greenish landcrusier with a big trailer attached going past. Whatever hit my calf stung a bit. Immediately hoped that the garmin was working as it should be and that it was all recorded. Get home and check the footage. The rego of the car is TWZ 091 (nsw) and you can clearly see the rear passenger hang his arm out of the car and throw something.

After confirming, I rang the Police hotline to make a complaint. Had a car crew turn up this morning, they took all the details, details in Const notebook, and hopefully some legal action will be taken against the driver/occupants. I am prepared to go to court over this and willing to push this all the way.

On the upside, I decided to turn around and use the strong winds to help claim a strava KOM. This was a KOM that I had only recently gained but did not have my name as the first place person as my time/average was equal to the previous holder. I would have got it that day except for having to stop due to a red light. So yesterday I gave it my all, and again had to stop for a red light, but regardless was able to claim the KOM outright this time.
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby ray » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:36 am

1st commute in 7 weeks after been sick and on holidays :) Half of Brisbane overtook me this morning but felt great to be commuting to work again. Great thing about school holidays is less cars on the road and not needing to wear my winter gear now that it has warmed up somewhat. Need to lose my winter fat though - 5.5kgs to go.
ray
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:05 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby nezumi » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:51 am

gretaboy wrote:Well after so many boring rides I had one massive shocker yesterday.

It seems d@#khead P plater season is once again open. All up had about 5 separate incidents of P platers thinking it was funny to either lean on the horn or scream out loudly as they drive past.

The topper was the P plater who threw something at me. I was blissfully riding into the headwind, yet again, when I felt something hit my right calf. I immediately looked down and saw something falling away, I then looked up and saw a greenish landcrusier with a big trailer attached going past. Whatever hit my calf stung a bit. Immediately hoped that the garmin was working as it should be and that it was all recorded. Get home and check the footage. The rego of the car is TWZ 091 (nsw) and you can clearly see the rear passenger hang his arm out of the car and throw something.

After confirming, I rang the Police hotline to make a complaint. Had a car crew turn up this morning, they took all the details, details in Const notebook, and hopefully some legal action will be taken against the driver/occupants. I am prepared to go to court over this and willing to push this all the way.

On the upside, I decided to turn around and use the strong winds to help claim a strava KOM. This was a KOM that I had only recently gained but did not have my name as the first place person as my time/average was equal to the previous holder. I would have got it that day except for having to stop due to a red light. So yesterday I gave it my all, and again had to stop for a red light, but regardless was able to claim the KOM outright this time.


It is school holidays (in Vic at least) so that could be a factor.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi
 
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Heidelberg, Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:14 am

nezumi wrote:It is school holidays (in Vic at least) so that could be a factor.


school holidays here too, but this isnt the reason....the main reason I believe is it is warming up. I have been commuting for over two years now and I have experienced this before. Winter you get the occasional idiot P plater but nothing like summer.

Summer is a whole new ball game. Rarely get hassled in the morning, guess the "normal" age bracket for P platers means most of them dont get out of bed until close to midday. It is the afternoons that things hot up and incident rates with P platers soar. It is a major reason why I run a go pro facing rear wards..I need a forward facing one too.

They are very tough when coming up behind at anything from 60 k/h + and obviously think anyone on a bicycle is there for their entertainment.

I now also wear headphones and play music to try and reduce how badly I get startled by these idiots. I can still hear the cars/trucks coming up but having music playing seems to nullify the startle factor quite a bit, doesnt always work however
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:55 pm

gretaboy wrote:
nezumi wrote:
I now also wear headphones and play music to try and reduce how badly I get startled by these idiots. I can still hear the cars/trucks coming up but having music playing seems to nullify the startle factor quite a bit, doesnt always work however

You might want to rethink that strategy, for obvious reasons.

If being startled is an issue then you need to up either the skills or your confidence in those skills. If they are not the issue then experience the unexpected more often. Certainly shutting out the world is not a smart survival strategy when riding in traffic of any kind.

By all means be alarmed when something dangerous is imminent. But also be aware of the possibility at the earliest opportunity.

The world of idiots is a fact of life. I have idiots who, presumably thinking unicyclists are teetering on the edge of control, jump in front of me abruptly, or lean over and wave hands across my face or suddenly shout in the expectation of seeing me embarrass myself. WRONG! I would expect the same of any bicyclist venturing out into traffic.

Good luck with pursuing the idiots through the police. Well worth a half day in court.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
 
Posts: 4697
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:41 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:You might want to rethink that strategy, for obvious reasons.

If being startled is an issue then you need to up either the skills or your confidence in those skills. If they are not the issue then experience the unexpected more often. Certainly shutting out the world is not a smart survival strategy when riding in traffic of any kind.


Colin....how do you suggest upping the skills to not get startled or my confidence in this area??? Should I expect every single car or truck for that matter, that goes past me to have someone hang out and scream at me or lay on the horn as they get level with me or even throw stuff at me??

I am not sure how busy the roads are you ride but given my route is along a major highway I can assure you that I am awake and aware of my survival capabilities than if I was on a bike path.

As I stated earlier, I can hear vehicles/road traffic through the headphones...I am certainly not shutting out the world. And given the distance I ride each way, it helps keep me from getting totally bored.

You state be alarmed if something dangerous is imminent....my nerves would be shot if this was the case and I held myself in this mode all the time. I have at different points on my ride less than half a metre to work within whilst b-doubles and so forth fly past me at 80+ k/h.

How do you prepare yourself for idiots when they come at you so quickly and from behind...80+ k/h????

Should I have a little mirror to keep a watch on what is coming from behind me??If that is the case I might as well face backwards whilst riding forwards there is that much traffic??
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:13 pm

gretaboy wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:You might want to rethink that strategy, for obvious reasons.

If being startled is an issue then you need to up either the skills or your confidence in those skills. If they are not the issue then experience the unexpected more often. Certainly shutting out the world is not a smart survival strategy when riding in traffic of any kind.


Colin....how do you suggest upping the skills to not get startled or my confidence in this area??? Should I expect every single car or truck for that matter, that goes past me to have someone hang out and scream at me or lay on the horn as they get level with me or even throw stuff at me??

I am not sure how busy the roads are you ride but given my route is along a major highway I can assure you that I am awake and aware of my survival capabilities than if I was on a bike path.

As I stated earlier, I can hear vehicles/road traffic through the headphones...I am certainly not shutting out the world. And given the distance I ride each way, it helps keep me from getting totally bored.

You state be alarmed if something dangerous is imminent....my nerves would be shot if this was the case and I held myself in this mode all the time. I have at different points on my ride less than half a metre to work within whilst b-doubles and so forth fly past me at 80+ k/h.

How do you prepare yourself for idiots when they come at you so quickly and from behind...80+ k/h????

Should I have a little mirror to keep a watch on what is coming from behind me??If that is the case I might as well face backwards whilst riding forwards there is that much traffic??

Sorry. I didn't meant to offend. It was genuine concern.

(For the record, I used to experience exactly the sort of route you describe on my regular commute - major highway, narrow lanes not able to be widened, inappropriate drains, buses, trucks (main east-west route for them), cars. And no allowance whatsoever to accomodate cyclists.)

If you wish to go with compromising your situational awareness I can only hope your "solution" never bites you. Sincerely.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
 
Posts: 4697
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:22 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Sorry. I didn't meant to offend.
(For the record, I used to experience exactly the sort of route you describe on my regular commute - major highway, narrow lanes not able to be widened, inappropriate drains, buses, trucks (main east-west route for them), cars. And no allowance whatsoever to accomodate cyclists.)

If you wish to go with compromising your situational awareness I can only hope your "solution" never bites you. Sincerely.


no offence taken...I have simply had a gutful of these P platers.

I cant control what cars/trucks do coming up behind me, but I can ensure that my line, my lane positioning and awareness of what is around is at its best in order for me to survive my simple commute to and from work....but I also know my luck may just run out one day
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit