6K Club 2013 Edition

Mustang

Re: 6K Club 2013 Edition

Postby Mustang » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:49 am

grantw wrote:I travelled down to Gippsland this weekend to take part in the Gippsland Audax Series out of Port Franklin. I needed a 400 to complete my Audax Super Series for the year so lined up with a few old and new friends to have a crack.

The ride went well, lots of headwind early on as we tracked along the coast, (It was nice to stop in Grantville for a pie though!), then rain squalls as we started to climb between Drouin and Leongatha. Then a couple of loops from Port Franklin first down to Yanakie on Wilson's Prom and then out to Welshpool.

400's are pretty tough as you generally do them in one go and grinding out the last 70kms in the dark and tired is rarely fun. Happily I was with a group of riders all through the day and we stuck together and finished just before 2am.

It was a great ride with some fantastic scenery, I hope to get back down for some more in the future.
MY GOD :shock: how do you train for that????
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:42 am

Mustang wrote: MY GOD :shock: how do you train for that????
Lots of hours in the saddle :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:53 am

Mustang wrote:MY GOD :shock: how do you train for that????
The really scary bit is that the 400km ride IS TRAINING / qualification for this - 1200km Sydney - Melbourne in 4 days.

Day 2 in particular looks a ripper - "only" 315km but includes 4354 meters of climbing in the northern part of the snowy mountains - while it could be a beautiful day, gales, sleet or snow would not be unheard of, even in November.

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:21 pm

Mustang wrote:
jgon286 wrote:Yes, emailed djmarsh about it. Apparently something new on Strava won't marry up with his statmonkey so it doesn't work. I've had to ditch it and use veloviewer. Prefer the statmonkey though, I like how it tells you how far in front you are. Or behind...
"Like wise" I have Veloviewer but would prefer the green kilometre progressive bar? Please post if you get any result.
Jgon, Diventare, Mustang et al,
you can get the progress bar by the using Bike Jounal option instead of the Strava option on your Statmonkey thingy, go to Settings>Source>Bike Journal.

Set up an account on Bike Journal,(if you don't have one).
When completing your profile, make sure <Private data> box is unchecked; I think your public profile has to be checked but not sure; wise to select Metric if in Oz; Get to set distance target and select colour of progress bar further down; make sure <Keep my goals private> is unchecked.

You need to manually add rides but you can do it as one large total and select Multiple Rides.

I agree the Strava option was better, hope they fix it for next year.

Let us know if you have trouble.

cheers
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:23 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Mustang wrote:MY GOD :shock: how do you train for that????
The really scary bit is that the 400km ride IS TRAINING / qualification for this - 1200km Sydney - Melbourne in 4 days.

Day 2 in particular looks a ripper - "only" 315km but includes 4354 meters of climbing in the northern part of the snowy mountains - while it could be a beautiful day, gales, sleet or snow would not be unheard of, even in November.
Find_Bruce: you need help :lol:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:27 pm

coffeeandwine wrote:Find_Bruce: you need help :lol:
Maaate you have me mistaken - I get exhausted just looking at the ride on the interwebs. Closest I am going to get is deciding if I want to get up before dawn to wave Grant off from the Opera House.

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:45 pm

find_bruce wrote:
coffeeandwine wrote:Find_Bruce: you need help :lol:
Maaate you have me mistaken - I get exhausted just looking at the ride on the interwebs. Closest I am going to get is deciding if I want to get up before dawn to wave Grant off from the Opera House.
My sincere apologies...(read posts more closely)...it's obviously Grant who needs help-I suspect he is beyond it though :lol:

kb

Postby kb » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:28 pm

coffeeandwine wrote:
Mustang wrote:
jgon286 wrote:Yes, emailed djmarsh about it. Apparently something new on Strava won't marry up with his statmonkey so it doesn't work. I've had to ditch it and use veloviewer. Prefer the statmonkey though, I like how it tells you how far in front you are. Or behind...
"Like wise" I have Veloviewer but would prefer the green kilometre progressive bar? Please post if you get any result.
Jgon, Diventare, Mustang et al,
you can get the progress bar by the using Bike Jounal option instead of the Strava option on your Statmonkey thingy, go to Settings>Source>Bike Journal.

Set up an account on Bike Journal,(if you don't have one).
When completing your profile, make sure <Private data> box is unchecked; I think your public profile has to be checked but not sure; wise to select Metric if in Oz; Get to set distance target and select colour of progress bar further down; make sure <Keep my goals private> is unchecked.

You need to manually add rides but you can do it as one large total and select Multiple Rides.

I agree the Strava option was better, hope they fix it for next year.

Let us know if you have trouble.

cheers
There was a similar discussion on the 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge topic. joshnh has put in a request for a distance goal to the VeloViewer creator. In the meantime, if anyone wants a distance or climbing sig like mine, just let me know goals + strava_id. It works by pulling the summary data from Strava's athlete profile page once a day. It's a bit slow and clunky due to scraping the web page rather than going through their API, more a proof of concept than anything else (and I was sick of seeing myself fall behind on statmonkey's progress bar)

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:31 am

It's a healthy disease :-)

Clocked up 8000km for the the year with this mornings ride, cracker of a morning for it too!

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:58 am

grantw wrote:It's a healthy disease :-)

Clocked up 8000km for the the year with this mornings ride, cracker of a morning for it too!

Great work mate, your riding (and climbing) is impressive, to say the least!

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:43 am

Thanks Macca, it's worth noting that I'm still a long way behind you :-)

sblack

Postby sblack » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Thanks to kb for setting my signature bar up, nice to have the how far ahead/behind bit back and my first ride of the year included (unlike veloviewer which ignores it due to it being last year in whatever time zone they use).

Seams I'm overdue for an update here. The GCC finished a couple of weeks ago and overall I was happy with how it went. I went into the challenge with 3 goals, the first was to reach a minimum of 10000 steps per day and I with the exception of one weekend stuck in bed sick I managed that one. The second goal was a PB of over 100000 which was managed with a 109923 on the day of the Berry Mountain 200. The final goal was to beat last years average of 27091. I didn't manage this one, only ending with an average of 25838 but with changes at work that cost me a lot of steps through the day for much of the challenge and a virus that kept making a return every few weeks I'm happy to have got what I did.

Speaking of that virus, it kept me off the bike for a week earlier this month, then followed with some bad weather and illness with others in the family I ended up missing a lot of riding in the past two weeks. Managed to get out last night to get my training back on track for the Tour da Country and hoping to stick closer to my plan for the next 5 weeks until it starts.

My main goal for this month was to be the Tour de SCUM, 100km Audax dirt ride, but as Grant mentioned earlier the rain caused it to be postponed to what will now be a very busy October for me, I'll have the Tour de SCUM on the 19th, the Tour da Country Community Ride on the 25th, Husky 100 on the 27th and then head of for the Tour da Country on the 28th. Plenty of training between now and then to be ready for all that!

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:07 pm

Cracked 5000Km on my CAAD10 today as well as placing 3rd at my local race. The bad news is that after the finish, whilst taking off from the post-race chin-wag, I broke a RDS spoke on the Fulcrum 1s - ouch. They're secondhand, with plenty of miles in them (I've done 4000Km on them myself) so I cannot really complain, but I'll get it replaced and see how it goes. If anything further goes awry before Xmas, I'll just have to buy some new wheels. :idea:

Keep up the good work folks!

cheers

grantw

Postby grantw » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Well done Macca! and I hope you've seen the virus off Shane!

Top day for a ride today, a warmish 26c here, saw a wallaby, a lyre bird and a Waratah flowering by the side of the road. Also a great vista over the Illawarra -

View from Jamberoo by _granty, on Flickr

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:09 pm

Nice result Macca & it sounds like you have the wheels selected already :D

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:22 pm

find_bruce wrote:Nice result Macca & it sounds like you have the wheels selected already :D
Haha - dunno mate, I like these ones and have only just rebuilt the freehub, so am even more attached. If I can get of hold of a spoke, I'll replace it and run them until the next issue - then it will definitely be a new set. I'm rolling on my Fulcrum R5s now and although they are not quite as good they roll well enough, I 'spose!

PS - great view Grant.

cheers

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:49 pm

A big thank you to kb for setting up my goal bar (even though it is the wrong colour at the moment).

CB

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:35 pm

Considering the weather of late I am pleased to say that it has not deterred me. Indeed, despite weather alerts to the contrary this morning's horror ride turned out to be one of the better mornings of the last three weeks. The 50kph winds were a non-event.

Now that the Back to Work Challenge is up and running I am making an effort to crank up the extra kms. As as a past TravelSmart committee member and a regular focus in the department for cyclists I have a rep to maintain. :lol:

If I can maintain it through injury and conditions than I may up my PB for the second year in a row. Very nice after the horror of 2010. And something to aim for anyway as my set target is proving to be a doddle.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:37 pm

Thanks kb, I too have joined the tubey revolution :-)

And well done Colin, you are an inspiration!

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:58 pm

Mustang wrote:Well done to those ahead of their targets!!

As I climb the aging ladder, getting things cut out, falling over, very wet weather etc etc ,the target quickly hides around the corner.

In the interest of those behind their target, with 161days left from tomorrow I 'am personally behind by 656km (6000), now that seems a lot but, divide it by days left I have to add 30km per week over & above, my 3 day ride programme, hmmm 10km per ride, ( should add a shorty) :roll:

Providing there are no more procedures etc., this should be accomplished :)
Well yesterday should put me in front of the arrow ,after I posted the above comment & re-read it I had my doubts, but goals are good to set & constantly revisit :D
At the moment I have the opportunity to ride at least one extra day.
Last edited by Mustang on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:08 pm

[/quote]
There was a similar discussion on the 2013 Strava Climbing Challenge topic. joshnh has put in a request for a distance goal to the VeloViewer creator. In the meantime, if anyone wants a distance or climbing sig like mine, just let me know goals + strava_id. It works by pulling the summary data from Strava's athlete profile page once a day. It's a bit slow and clunky due to scraping the web page rather than going through their API, more a proof of concept than anything else (and I was sick of seeing myself fall behind on statmonkey's progress bar)[/quote]

THANK YOU KB, much appreciated
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:45 pm

Cracked 9000Km for 2013 on a steady 6am NRR this morning - as well as 10,000Km since I commenced cycling last October.

Also, thanks to De Grandi Cycles in Geelong where I sourced the spare spoke for the R1s and it is now fitted and tensioned, so we'll see how it goes. :?

Keep up the good work all.

cheers

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:10 am

Good old De Grandis I haven't been in there for years.

I am sticking with my old sig bar as I am way to far behind my goal.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:04 am

The maths now becomes easier. I'm now into the home turn so I can just focus on the hundreds.

In fact I wasn't realy watching and 6000 past me unnoticed. I am now looking only at another 475km. A little less than three weeks.

Perhaps I may adjust the target once I get there. :D I am thinking that this could be the year that I crack 8,000km. At which point I move from being smug and self righteous to full on vain superiority. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:25 pm

Good on you Colin.

Keep it up Mugglechops!

cheers