The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby il padrone » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:57 am

SquareWheels wrote:The first guy was headed east and was on the freeway on a step-through, going about 20kph (if he was lucky) and was sitting in the right hand lane of the 2 east bound lanes just past vahland Ave. Death wish I thought as this is a service freeway and is inhabited by lots of large trucks

Doesn't even look like a freeway. Just a fairly normal urban divided arterial road. I ride this sort of road all the time, and at times even do so in the right lane eg. when lining up for a right turn.

Re the trucks - articulated-truck drivers are the most courteous drivers on the roads in my experience. As long as you signal your intentions, claim a reasonable space before they reach you, and behave half-decently, they will be courteous and overtake you safely with good space to clear.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

by BNA » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:35 am

BNA

Postby Scarfy96 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:35 am

bychosis wrote:Sunday afternoon isn't the best time to use the local foreshore cycleway apparently. Very busy, that's fine.
#1 three people meandering along the path, across the full width. Lead rider of our group of four dings, right hand pedestrian moves left(ish) for bike 1 to pass, then back right I front of two kids and me without so much as looking. Kinda wish one of the kids had run into him

Yes that shared path is pedestrian heaven (or hell) on a weekend, brave to ride there, have to ride very slowly and very carefully, great way to get the kids skills up ;)

In this instance (#1) I always say "thanks 3 more following" as I pass (or however many there are) just to alert them to the fact that more are coming - yes they should look but .....

That said my kids love their bells so it is often an orchestra approaching from behind as my wife and kids all chime in!
Scarfy96

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:04 pm

jules21 wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Perhaps walk through that area? Or is that too inconvenient a way to avoid a crash?

my speed is not the issue, which is the other rider barreling around the corner and seeing someone else in his path. it wouldn't matter if i was riding or walking - i'm not going fast either way. the problem is - they have nowhere to go if they can't pull it back onto their LHS.

If you are walking though, you've more of an opportunity to jump out of the way of people going over their side of the path.

These narrow sections always concern me. I know what I'm doing, but you never know what others will do.
g-boaf

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:41 pm

Just ride a fatboy through there. You'll always come off best :P
Lukeyboy

Postby lobstermash » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:46 pm

Floriade is driving me insane at the moment... Zombie peds galore
lobstermash

Postby twizzle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:04 pm

lobstermash wrote:Floriade is driving me insane at the moment... Zombie peds galore

I love how they continue to step into the road AFTER the cars have the green light!

Stopped heading towards civic yesterday, this ute failed to notice the stopped cars and bikes and locked it up and slid to the other side of the ped crossing seconds before the light went green. Myself and the mate gave him a "golf clap" (gawd, what movie was that in?), I was laughing so hard I had trouble moving off when the lights changed. Luckily, the ped had already cleared the crossing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby jules21 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:06 pm

twizzle wrote:Myself and the mate gave him a "golf clap" (gawd, what movie was that in?),

men at work
jules21

Postby twizzle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:52 pm

jules21 wrote:
twizzle wrote:Myself and the mate gave him a "golf clap" (gawd, what movie was that in?),

men at work

Ta. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby SquareWheels » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:35 pm

Doesn't even look like a freeway. Just a fairly normal urban divided arterial road. I ride this sort of road all the time, and at times even do so in the right lane eg. when lining up for a right turn.

Re the trucks - articulated-truck drivers are the most courteous drivers on the roads in my experience. As long as you signal your intentions, claim a reasonable space before they reach you, and behave half-decently, they will be courteous and overtake you safely with good space to clear.

yes my bad from the original post. Meant to be highway sorry. Mixed my terminology from the start of the post to the latter portion. While you and Aushiker may be game enough to ride this, and I may also if it wasn't peak hour, there is not a hope in hell that you will catch me in the right hand lane of this beast when there is no right hand turn for a long way off and its peak hour traffic. I will withdraw the Dumb Cyclist for the other fella but not the right hand lane guy :)
SquareWheels

Postby bychosis » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:49 pm

Scarfy96 wrote:
bychosis wrote:Sunday afternoon isn't the best time to use the local foreshore cycleway apparently. Very busy, that's fine.
#1 three people meandering along the path, across the full width. Lead rider of our group of four dings, right hand pedestrian moves left(ish) for bike 1 to pass, then back right I front of two kids and me without so much as looking. Kinda wish one of the kids had run into him

Yes that shared path is pedestrian heaven (or hell) on a weekend, brave to ride there, have to ride very slowly and very carefully, great way to get the kids skills up ;)

In this instance (#1) I always say "thanks 3 more following" as I pass (or however many there are) just to alert them to the fact that more are coming - yes they should look but .....

That said my kids love their bells so it is often an orchestra approaching from behind as my wife and kids all chime in!

The fact that the are many groups, esp families on sunday arvo should make you think about looking around a bit. Mr 8 tends to ring his bell to late, and Mr 6's new 2nd hand bike's bell was missing the dinger bit, but you're right we make a bit of a racket approaching anyone most of the time.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby wob » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:44 pm

Numpty just broke his shoulder.

There were lots of peds on the shared path and I was weaving through them. I decided it was time to ring my bell again to announce myself to the next lot of peds.

But its not a good idea to take hand of bars while weaving and negotiating a bend in the path too. My front wheel slipped off the path and next thing I new my shoulder and helmet were in the dirt.

Ouch! Embarrassed.

But the bike seems ok. :)
wob

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:27 pm

wob wrote:But the bike seems ok. :)

Well that's the important thing :lol: .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby bychosis » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:50 pm

Here's a new one for me:
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby DavidS » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:29 pm

You've never read a book while walking?

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:49 am

I've browsed the odd information book whilst strolling, but this was reading a novel whilst walking for exercise.
bychosis

Postby outnabike » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:25 am

bychosis wrote:I've browsed the odd information book whilst strolling, but this was reading a novel whilst walking for exercise.

I reckon good luck to her. Its better than someone with a loose pooch, and she would appear to be on the left, and not likely to jump right as some do......but you never know... :D
outnabike

Postby stretts » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:14 pm

A pedestrian in their own world today

stretts

Postby skull » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:38 pm

His version

You're a hoon

You came out of nowhere

Scare an innocent ped

Even rode on the wrong side of the road.

Menace

:D
skull

Postby Xenon » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:30 pm

skull wrote:His version

You're a hoon

You came out of nowhere

Scare an innocent ped

Even rode on the wrong side of the road.

Menace

:D

And you probably almost hit him...
Xenon

Postby stretts » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:21 pm

haha most probably
stretts

Postby tekapo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:43 pm

stretts wrote:A pedestrian in their own world today

Had to same thing today, a guy walking in the middle of the path ear plugged in and doing arm stretches. Rang the bell like 5 times and still didn't notice me, at least didn't show any signs that he noticed. Well, at least there was enough space to pass him.

You just gotta love the weekends.
tekapo

Postby skull » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:51 pm

So I spent the weekend in Sydney just gone.

Went for a bit of a ride from where I was staying in Darling Harbour to Watsons Bay, Bondi then back to the hotel. Anyway I can see why there are drivers out there that have a dislike for cyclists.

The majority of riders I came across on my ride where all nice and riding courteously. However, upon return to the CBD I encountered a bunch that gives us a bad name. So I was stopped at a red next to a car near Kings Cross, a bunch comes barrelling down the footpath then out and through the red. They then blocked the middle of the intersection as they couldn't get all the way across due to traffic and thus impeded cars.

A bit further on and they are sitting waiting at light and I caught up. Light went green so they finish their little chat and rode of at a leisure. Obviously they all had problems with getting clicked into their pedals as they then spread across both the lanes fluffing about once again blocking cars. Then as they rode off towards the bridge they seemed to decide that riding in a bunch was to much effort and spread out all over the road in a shotgun formation.

Unfortunately this sample of cyclists gets us all tarred with the same brush.
skull

Postby VRE » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:03 am

skull wrote:So I spent the weekend in Sydney just gone.

Went for a bit of a ride from where I was staying in Darling Harbour to Watsons Bay, Bondi then back to the hotel. Anyway I can see why there are drivers out there that have a dislike for cyclists.

The majority of riders I came across on my ride where all nice and riding courteously. However, upon return to the CBD I encountered a bunch that gives us a bad name. So I was stopped at a red next to a car near Kings Cross, a bunch comes barrelling down the footpath then out and through the red. They then blocked the middle of the intersection as they couldn't get all the way across due to traffic and thus impeded cars.

A bit further on and they are sitting waiting at light and I caught up. Light went green so they finish their little chat and rode of at a leisure. Obviously they all had problems with getting clicked into their pedals as they then spread across both the lanes fluffing about once again blocking cars. Then as they rode off towards the bridge they seemed to decide that riding in a bunch was to much effort and spread out all over the road in a shotgun formation.

Unfortunately this sample of cyclists gets us all tarred with the same brush.

You can leave me out of that group, thanks. I refuse to accept responsibility for how other people to whom I have no connection happen to ride their bicycles. They don't represent me, and never will, any more than a badly-driving motorist represents all motorists.
VRE

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:33 am

And yet they will be the example that gets trotted out every time there is a cycle hate story going around. They are the represention of Harley riding, patch wearing subgroup of motor cyclists in cycle form.
bychosis

Postby skull » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:18 am

You say they might not represent you VRE, but to motorists they do.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
skull

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion