Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

marinmomma

Re: Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Postby marinmomma » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Bakks wrote:I'm in Brisbane for work next week. Given its a public holiday on Wednesday are there any group rides that go up Nebo on the public holiday? Otherwise, does anyone have any routes to share from the CBD? Given its a solo ride would like to avoid really busy roads, plus I'm not familiar with Brisbane at all.

If the weather is good there would be heaps of cyclists heading in that direction, not sure if there is anything formal though, however if I hear of anything I can post here.
On a public holiday Waterworks Road will be quiet traffic wise and it's the easiest and most direct way to get to Nebo.

On the return traffic would be somewhat heavier but still ok, there is a couple of options using side streets to get back to the CBD/Southbank, i can post a link but it will be later before I can get it done...

We are early starters here in Qld, many rides will be starting at 6-6:30 even on a PH.
Lisa

Bakks

Postby Bakks » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:41 pm

Thanks.

I don't mind an early start - I've managed to stupidly schedule a meeting for midday (even though it is a PH)!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:18 pm

Bakks wrote:Thanks.

I don't mind an early start - I've managed to stupidly schedule a meeting for midday (even though it is a PH)!
http://app.strava.com/activities/21322940

This ride shows the back way using Coopers Camp Rd>>>to Simpson Rd>>>then head back tot he city from the base of Coot-Tha>>>through Toowong>>>bikepath into CBD

You could keep going down Coopers Camp through Bardon>>>Boundary Rd>>>Latrobe Tce>>>Given Tce>>>>then Petrie Tce>>>Countess St>>>Roma St, less climbing and more traffic especially down Latrobe/Given through Paddington, watch for car doors and the like along there...the cafe set will be active by the time of your return :roll:

hth and enjoy one of SEQld's best rides...
Lisa

Bakks

Postby Bakks » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:34 pm

Thanks Lisa. I thought about returning via Mount Glorious Road / Pei Road / Samford Road rather than just turning around and returning back down Mount Nebo Road. Any reason to pick one over the other?

This is the route I was looking at - http://connect.garmin.com/course/4417264" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:36 am

Here is my first attempt at a video on Mt Glorious, I need a bit of practice I think!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2R2IvxANxQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway I did the climb this time without getting off, next stop the back :shock:

CRV

Postby CRV » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:04 am

Did this ride on Sat for the first time, what an awesome day!!! Was not as hard as I feared, traffic was ok, just had to be super careful of all the motorbikes up there, most were courteous, some were not :-) All in all a great ride!!!

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:39 am

Two Sundays in a row for me now. Went up yesterday afternoon, virtually nobody about! Had a great ride, beat my PB to Nebo by about six minutes and my PB from the Gap reservoir to Glorious by about ten minutes. Felt pretty damn good apart from the point where the only climbing cyclist I saw (young bloke in a Barlow team strip) tore up behind me and disappeared off the front immediately on a steep bit towards the top of Nebo. Man was he ever moving!

Got caught out by dusk though, was coming off Glorious in the twilight and off Nebo in the dark. Not ideal, but hardly any traffic which was a plus. On the downside, bugs! I now know what a car windscreen feels like...wasn't wearing glasses either! Moths to the face hurt at 50km/h :shock:
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Michele-Brisbane

Postby Michele-Brisbane » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:01 pm

Went up Nebo and Glorious on Sunday morning for the first time (in a group with GeoffInBrisbane - although a fair distance behind him...). An incredible challenge but immensely rewarding getting to the top.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:05 pm

Michele-Brisbane wrote:Went up Nebo and Glorious on Sunday morning for the first time (in a group with GeoffInBrisbane - although a fair distance behind him...). An incredible challenge but immensely rewarding getting to the top.
Ah hey Michele, was good to meet you yesterday! :D

Glad you enjoyed it. First time I rode up Nebo we turned off at Samford instead of going all the way to Glorious, and by the time we reached that point I was pretty much stuffed. To hit the whole thing out first go is a pretty good effort IMO. Not to mention the joy of Settlement Road getting back out again... :twisted:

Nebo/Glorious has become one of my favourite rides now, so pretty once you start climbing and always great coffee at the top. 8)
Veloviewer

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:43 am

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
Nebo/Glorious has become one of my favourite rides now, so pretty once you start climbing and always great coffee at the top. 8)
Great coffee at the top....where?
Lisa

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:56 am

What she said ^

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:09 am

you stop at the top for coffee? I thought the top was there so you knew when to turn around?!
Last edited by jasonc on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:15 am

Or keep going to Fernvale Bakery.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:22 am

Dimma wrote:Or keep going to Fernvale Bakery.
I'd expect that kind of solution from you, Damo.

The down side of all the major climbs around here is no good coffee at the top....I guess on the upside it means that the return ride is as quick as possible to get to coffee... :roll:
Lisa

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:42 am

It must taste better to me due to the 'earned it' factor then! :lol:

As for Fernvale, I shan't be heading out of Glorious that way until I'm fixed enough to up the training... Don't think my wife would appreciate a support car call... :P :oops:
Veloviewer

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:57 am

marinmomma wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
Great coffee at the top....where?
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:It must taste better to me due to the 'earned it' factor then!
I thought of another reason. Growing up in the UK before emigrating in 2004, I drank a lot of nasty coffee! 90% of coffees I have here taste great in comparison...

You still can't do beer properly though. :P
Veloviewer

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:50 pm

They do have a nice chocolate slice though.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:49 pm

Heads up guys. A sinkhole is forming in the road on the run between the traffic lights and Jollys lookout (lane closest to overlooking samford valley). Will post map soon. The rain is here :P

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:04 pm

If anyone knows of a group that organized a bicycle ride up Mt Glorious last Saturday, 16/11/13, could you let me know.
A mate who lives up there and is bicycle friendly, says there was some really dangerous behavior displayed - apparently a group of over 60 novices half of which ended up walking, and others collapsing or stopping in the middle of the lane on blind corners. He'd like to get in touch with them and politely advise of the dangers.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:20 pm

I'll be something like that on the 30th :lol: :lol: :lol:

Said rough location of sinkhole in the road - https://www.google.com.au/maps?ll=-27.4 ... 6&t=m&z=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When your riding towards Mt Nebo you'll pass a yellow guide post on the right hand side of the road with the number 1264 written on it. It should be a couple hundred metres past that.

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I'll be something like that on the 30th :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hopefully not on Nebo, that's pretty early on in the ride Luke!!

If we are still going coming up Clear Mtn towards the end, I might have to pull out the cleat covers. :shock:

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:39 pm

Lucas, how bout joining SS and moi for a Camp Mtn Mailmans tomorrow....530am from Nundah Gun....or rendezvous along Rode Rd.
We'll make sure you get back to HGR before your boss. :)

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:36 pm

So how does Mt Nebo compare to Mt Cootha. I managed Mt Cootha from Wynnum via Paddington on the weekend and plan to ride that a few more times whilst extending the return leg and then try Mt Nebo over the Christmas break.... and then hopefully add Mt Nebo and Mt Glorious
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:18 am

cancan64 wrote:So how does Mt Nebo compare to Mt Cootha. I managed Mt Cootha from Wynnum via Paddington on the weekend and plan to ride that a few more times whilst extending the return leg and then try Mt Nebo over the Christmas break.... and then hopefully add Mt Nebo and Mt Glorious
always a good idea to drive a tough route first, then you have it from the horse's mouth.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:50 am

cancan64 wrote:So how does Mt Nebo compare to Mt Cootha. I managed Mt Cootha from Wynnum via Paddington on the weekend and plan to ride that a few more times whilst extending the return leg and then try Mt Nebo over the Christmas break.... and then hopefully add Mt Nebo and Mt Glorious
If you can do Coot-Tha then you'll be fine on Nebo, it's just longer of course!
The last 2-3 k up to Glorious are pretty steep but it levels off a bit in places before ramping up again....if I can do it then anyone can.
Lisa