Cycling on the North Shore

kristofor

Cycling on the North Shore

Postby kristofor » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi Guys,

I've recently moved to Sydney and need to spend some time riding in the mornings.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good and safe cycle routes on the North Shore? I'm living out at Wahroonga. My preference is to ride away from main roads for safety reasons - but I figured someone here would know a good route. Or is there a crit track somewhere on the north shore where I can put some km's in?

Thanks,
Kris
Failure is just another boundary to success.....but that doesn't mean your getting somewhere :)

AndrewCowley

Re: Cycling on the North Shore

Postby AndrewCowley » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:41 pm

These routes are based from Lane Cove but you may find some relevance.

http://www.jamescheetham.net/Renegade/RideIndex.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kristofor

Postby kristofor » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:15 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:These routes are based from Lane Cove but you may find some relevance.

http://www.jamescheetham.net/Renegade/RideIndex.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks! Are there any picks from the list? I notice a lot of them travel along the pacific hwy - are there any good routes that avoid that??
Failure is just another boundary to success.....but that doesn't mean your getting somewhere :)

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:46 pm

kristofor wrote:Thanks! Are there any picks from the list? I notice a lot of them travel along the pacific hwy - are there any good routes that avoid that??
I have only just started out myself, so the only rides from here that I've done are Lane Cove National Park and Duffy's Forest. The latter I did just today and it was great getting out onto Mona Vale Road and clocking some consistent km's without having to stop at traffic lights all the time. Also Mona Vale Road is the gateway to some of the longer rides to Akuna Bay and Church Point (both of which I am keen on exploring).

If you leave early enough then the Pacific Highway shouldn't be a big problem, albeit it might be a bit busy coming back. From memory, from Wahroonga there is a route you can take that will take you to Mona Vale Road. I think it's Link Road. Perhaps somone can help...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:58 pm

I did West Head today on the roadie. That's a decent ride and will test your climbing legs. (Normally I'm on the mountain bike of a weekend). The road surface is also really nice.

The descent clock wise to Akuna Bay is a shocker the pavement is really bad. You really have to concentrate on what you're doing. However it looks like it will be resurfaced next month hopefully with the same nice fine hotmix they used on West Head.

http://www.strava.com/activities/84005519" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jonbays

Postby jonbays » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:01 am

Wahroonga isn't a bad spot! Take the back roads (burns rd killeaton ave etc) to Mona vale road and then try the Akuna bay or West Head or perhaps mcCarrs Creek road rides which are all very popular in the mornings on the weekends. you could even do a loop around Bobbin head via burns rd bobbin head rd and back via Sherwood and junction to avoid the pacific highway. There are plenty of good rides through quiet streets and national parks near enough to you. Just avoid the school drop off and pick up driving times so go early morning or late morning and you will be fine traffic wise.

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:18 am

@kristofor, Wahroonga is a great base for cycling. It's a big suburb, so it depends on whether you are north or south of the Pacific Hwy, but here is some options -

1. Bobbin Head - cycle up Bobbin Head Road at Turramurra (has a cycle lane - but watch the door zone) to the Kuring-gai Chase park gates. It's about 27km from the the south to north gate return with two 4km ish climbs averaging 5-6%. The south side is easier than the north (Kalkari) side. It's very popular with cyclists, especially early in the mornings mid-week and weekends.
2. Head further on wards from the north gate to the Old Pacific Highway. Here there is a cycle lane pretty much all the way to Berowra. Onward from there to Cowan and the Pie in Sky cafe and down to Brooklyn Bridge. Adds about 40km return to the north gate.
3. You can also head west through Hornsby via the Old Pacific Hwy and pick up Galston Road. This will take you down through Galston Gorge. You can loop north through Arcadia and down to Berowra Waters to catch the free ferry service, climb up Berowra East climb to Berowra and then the Old Pacific Hwy can take you home.

The other options mentioned through St Ives to Terry Hills, Duffys Forest, Akuna Bay and West Head are also great rides.

You won't get bored with the options!

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:26 pm

For some serious climbing you can do the 3 (or 4 or 5 gorges);

-Bobbin head, head down bobbin head road

-Pacific highway to sommerville, turn onto sommerville rd and head all the way to the end and down to crosslands, then back up (good, hard climb, 2km of 7%!)

-Galston rd through galston gorge

-Arcadia rd to berowra waters

-Pacific highway to brooklyn

Somewhere around 2000m of climbing, good road surfaces, highly recommend it!

kristofor

Postby kristofor » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:08 pm

jonbays wrote:Wahroonga isn't a bad spot! Take the back roads (burns rd killeaton ave etc) to Mona vale road and then try the Akuna bay or West Head or perhaps mcCarrs Creek road rides which are all very popular in the mornings on the weekends. you could even do a loop around Bobbin head via burns rd bobbin head rd and back via Sherwood and junction to avoid the pacific highway. There are plenty of good rides through quiet streets and national parks near enough to you. Just avoid the school drop off and pick up driving times so go early morning or late morning and you will be fine traffic wise.
Thanks! I'll look into this. Hopefully there's a nice route I can find avoiding the Pacific. I hate driving that rd in a car - hate to think of the fun it would be on a bike :)

kristofor

Postby kristofor » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:15 pm

Spaniel wrote:@kristofor, Wahroonga is a great base for cycling. It's a big suburb, so it depends on whether you are north or south of the Pacific Hwy, but here is some options -

1. Bobbin Head - cycle up Bobbin Head Road at Turramurra (has a cycle lane - but watch the door zone) to the Kuring-gai Chase park gates. It's about 27km from the the south to north gate return with two 4km ish climbs averaging 5-6%. The south side is easier than the north (Kalkari) side. It's very popular with cyclists, especially early in the mornings mid-week and weekends.
2. Head further on wards from the north gate to the Old Pacific Highway. Here there is a cycle lane pretty much all the way to Berowra. Onward from there to Cowan and the Pie in Sky cafe and down to Brooklyn Bridge. Adds about 40km return to the north gate.
3. You can also head west through Hornsby via the Old Pacific Hwy and pick up Galston Road. This will take you down through Galston Gorge. You can loop north through Arcadia and down to Berowra Waters to catch the free ferry service, climb up Berowra East climb to Berowra and then the Old Pacific Hwy can take you home.

The other options mentioned through St Ives to Terry Hills, Duffys Forest, Akuna Bay and West Head are also great rides.

You won't get bored with the options!
Thanks! I think those options sound great. I'll definitely give the Bobbin Head Rd route a try. :)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:33 pm

Agree - Bobbin head is the easiest - and still offers a challenge plus could be a starting point if you continue when hitting Mt Colah.

Heading towards Mona Vale road and then enjoying Terry Hills, Akuna Bay and West Head is the other option. I am not fond of Burns Road / Killeaton St where it gets narrow and goes down the dip as this section carries a lot of traffic, though there is a wide footpath (I believe also cycle path) on one side to navigation this area and avoid cars breathing down your neck.
Cycling is in my BNA

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:00 am

AUbicycles wrote: I am not fond of Burns Road / Killeaton St where it gets narrow and goes down the dip as this section carries a lot of traffic, though there is a wide footpath (I believe also cycle path) on one side to navigation this area and avoid cars breathing down your neck.
That's right, its a shared path along Burns Road / Killeaton St. You can then head up Warrimoo Ave when the shared path ends at the top of the big dip, and then duck up Mudies / Woodbury Roads to Mona Vale Rd. Cuts out the squeeze point later on KIlleaton St.

An alternative is to drive to St Ives and park opposite the coffee shop near Stanley St / Mona Vale Rd. I see a lot of cyclists do this. I find Saturdays can be really busy along Burns Rd / KIlleaton (with kids' sport/ shopping trips etc), but early Sundays is generally OK.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:02 am

AUbicycles wrote:Agree - Bobbin head is the easiest - and still offers a challenge plus could be a starting point if you continue when hitting Mt Colah.

Heading towards Mona Vale road and then enjoying Terry Hills, Akuna Bay and West Head is the other option. I am not fond of Burns Road / Killeaton St where it gets narrow and goes down the dip as this section carries a lot of traffic, though there is a wide footpath (I believe also cycle path) on one side to navigation this area and avoid cars breathing down your neck.
I prefer to cross Burns Rd, Left into Bannockburn Rd, left onto Pentecost Ave and take that up to Mona Vale Rd. Yes, it is longer, but Killeaton is just not friendly for bicycles.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi