Mt Coot-tha training

GeoffInBrisbane

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks mate, feels really good to be closing in on where I was.

Didn't like the ash smell up there today (back burning I guess?). Not nice when you are gasping for air. Only a short section of that though, thankfully.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:30 am

it was definitely warmer and humid this morning too. I obviously wasn't pushing hard enough if I couldn't smell the smoke

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:36 am

Very warm this morning, first time this year I haven't felt cold at the start of the Wednesday ride.

Saw a few people on flat bars this morning, you didn't see anybody in a London Pride jersey this time? I often wonder if it's you when I see a flat bar up there.
Veloviewer

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:06 am

Lukeyboy wrote:I'm not that fast down hills :P
For anyone foolish enough to believe that statement, I refer you to Mt Glorious Total Descent:

Veloviewer

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:35 am

I guess it's a good thing you didn't look at descent 1, 2 or how fast are you over the top :P

Slvr32gtr

Postby Slvr32gtr » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:59 am

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Didn't like the ash smell up there today (back burning I guess?). Not nice when you are gasping for air. Only a short section of that though, thankfully.
That ash smell was my legs on fire sorry :P Doing 4 x repeats at a max of 60rpm cadence definitely had them burning!

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:09 am

Luke, I did look at Descent 1, didn't want to post it as I can't remember what the speed limit is up there!
Last edited by GeoffInBrisbane on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veloviewer

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:11 am

Slvr32gtr wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Didn't like the ash smell up there today (back burning I guess?). Not nice when you are gasping for air. Only a short section of that though, thankfully.
That ash smell was my legs on fire sorry :P Doing 4 x repeats at a max of 60rpm cadence definitely had them burning!
Ouch! The guy I was riding with mentioned seeing someone climbing on the big ring - was that you?
Veloviewer

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:18 am

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Saw a few people on flat bars this morning, you didn't see anybody in a London Pride jersey this time? I often wonder if it's you when I see a flat bar up there.
was on the roadie this morning, sorry
didn't see a london pride jersey (and yes, i keep an eye out)
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Ouch! The guy I was riding with mentioned seeing someone climbing on the big ring - was that you?
one of the guys I was with was climbing in the big ring (still had a couple of gears left on the back when I went by just before the 1km mark

Slvr32gtr

Postby Slvr32gtr » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:27 am

I was in the small ring but a fair way down the cassette. We were doing 3min on full gas at a max of 60rpm, then 2min easy spin, 3min on etc.

Definitely feeling it now!

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:28 am

jasonc wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Saw a few people on flat bars this morning, you didn't see anybody in a London Pride jersey this time? I often wonder if it's you when I see a flat bar up there.
was on the roadie this morning, sorry
didn't see a london pride jersey (and yes, i keep an eye out)
Ah fair enough. Would have felt good compared to the flattie!
jasonc wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Ouch! The guy I was riding with mentioned seeing someone climbing on the big ring - was that you?
one of the guys I was with was climbing in the big ring (still had a couple of gears left on the back when I went by just before the 1km mark
:shock: and there's me sitting in 34/23 most of the way up...
Veloviewer

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:03 am

Coot Tha was a blast this morning! Feeling good after a big week last week and a gentle last few days. Turns out big weeks make you faster... :D
Veloviewer

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:58 am

Had another good Coot Tha ride this morning, did a second best, so am pretty much back to where I was before injury which is awesome.

However am really posting to say - if you were the guy in the Valley Avanti strip this morning, well done mate, you were flying! 8)
Veloviewer

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:22 am

Been a bit quiet on this thread of late. What's everyone been up to? Got a couple of PBs over the last few weeks, then started going backwards quickly last week (20 seconds slower one ride, another 20 seconds slower again the next time) so I took a couple of days off the bike. Felt awesome yesterday, but couldn't resist giving it a decent hit on the Corso/Cemetery hill/Gladstone Rd. Result - 1 second slower than PB this morning. :roll:

Will try again on Saturday after a rest day on Friday. Hoping to get a bit quicker before I head to the UK for Christmas (where I will get unfit and full of beer).

No sign of Jason or Elantra this morning, must've missed you guys this time.
Last edited by GeoffInBrisbane on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Veloviewer

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:27 am

I tried to give it a crack yesterday but no. Died after 250m.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:40 am

Sucks don't it? Both my previous rides I tried and then died.
Veloviewer

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:03 pm

I have tried Mt Coot-ha twice now, First time last month the Garmin locked up so didn't get a time and then last Saturday managed 12.17.
I haven't had to many rides with hills and found getting there through Paddington was bad enough so pretty happy just to make to to the top without stopping... I do like the downhill
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:22 pm

I've only had Garmin lockup once, luckily not at Coot Tha or I'd have probably hurled it off the lookout in disgust.

12:17 is a nice first timed effort, well done. After a few tries you learn the climb which makes it easier, mentally at least (it's nicer to know where you are rather than feel like the lefts and rights are all the same). If you haven't done much hill work before, keep at it, Coot Tha is a great place to work on your climbing :) And addictive.
Veloviewer

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:14 pm

The garmin lock up was due to the cadence sensor... which I accidentally knocked into the rear spokes on Saturday
Was annoyed that I broke it and done the climb with no cadence and i got a puncture at the bottom of the gateway as well so was waiting to see what else would go wrong on the ride.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Roub

Postby Roub » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:28 am

Gave Cootha a crack this morning after a few weeks of Gravatts training - very happy to do a sub 10min Cootha-back at 9:50 A goal I have had for over 6 months now.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:35 am

Roub wrote:Gave Cootha a crack this morning after a few weeks of Gravatts training - very happy to do a sub 10min Cootha-back at 9:50 A goal I have had for over 6 months now.
well done!

Slvr32gtr

Postby Slvr32gtr » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:42 am

Roub wrote:Gave Cootha a crack this morning after a few weeks of Gravatts training - very happy to do a sub 10min Cootha-back at 9:50 A goal I have had for over 6 months now.
Well done mate! Good work.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:27 am

Good stuff! :mrgreen:

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:08 am

Comedian wrote:
Good stuff! :mrgreen:
+1 well done.

Went down there yesterday aiming to do one good lap and a riverloop. Ran into a mate doing Project Declan, ended up doing 10 laps. Slowly (except that first one), but Ouch. Just about to go out for a recovery ride, legs are not in a good way... :lol:
Veloviewer

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:35 am

10 loops? yes, ouch
saw you on channel 7 last night too Geoff