canterbury road from nunawading

iaintas

canterbury road from nunawading

Postby iaintas » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:14 am

I am moving to melbourne next week and going to be living in Nunawading and working at the Alfred, was just wondering how bike friendly canterbury road is or is it best to stear clear of it and take more back roads into the city.
Also are there are good shop rides around Nunawading/Box Hill that anyone know of.

Cheers Iain

il padrone

Re: canterbury road from nunawading

Postby il padrone » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:43 am

Google Maps bicycle directions suggest this route. Generally not too bad - it avoids Canterbury Road, takes back streets through to Mont Albert Rd then cuts across to Riversdale Rd and on to Swan St Richmond.

Generally I am quite happy to ride Canterbury Rd, but I don't commute along it and rarely ride it on weekday peak period. Many years ago when I did commute to the city Mont Albert Rd or Prospect Hill Rd were better options to use, to lead on to Burwood Rd or Riversdale Rd.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:18 pm

I occasionally joined a local shop ride ... until the shop went broke and closed. :roll:

If you are keen there is a daily 6am Maling Room Ride MRR which starts/ends in Canterbury and loops out to Mitcham Rd and Doncaster. Some riders join it along the way then loop back to home or ride on to work after coffee.

On Saturdays there is the more social-oriented Ringwood Road Ride RRR which leaves the Ringwood clocktower (cnr Maroondah Hwy and Wantirna Rd) at 7am and ends with coffe/breakfast at the Firehouse in Ringwood.

If you get along to either of these you'll soon find out about other rides locally I'm sure.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:35 pm

see these guys out and about a lot during the week (daytimes) http://www.whitehorsecyclists.org.au/ but also have a sunday ride - local but age profile is mostly retired i'd say

malocchio

Postby malocchio » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:10 pm

This is the route I would suggest - http://goo.gl/maps/ul0VT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I take Whitehorse / Mont Albert / Barkers which avoids the undulations of Canterbury Road. These roads are well utilised by other cyclists so the driver awareness is there too.

Welcome to Nunawading by the way! great part of the world :)

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:32 pm

malocchio wrote:This is the route I would suggest - http://goo.gl/maps/ul0VT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I take Whitehorse / Mont Albert / Barkers which avoids the undulations of Canterbury Road. These roads are well utilised by other cyclists so the driver awareness is there too.

Welcome to Nunawading by the way! great part of the world :)
Thanks for that, looks like a good route. It looks like were living only a few hundred metres from you so im sure ill see you out and about.

Iain

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:35 pm

I dislike Barkers Rd. It's quite hilly and has lots of traffic. I've always found Burwood Rd to be much better.
Mandatory helmet law?

flex5150

Postby flex5150 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:50 pm

I ride outbound from balwyn to Rinwood along Whitehorse at 5. 20am and see a few bikes heading inbound. . I like whitehorse at that hour both ways as its 3 lanes and they pretty much give me the whole left lane.

Coming home at 2.30 I hit Canturbury at Mitcham and take it to Surry Hills. Never had a problem and its an easier time than whitehorse at 2.30 with all the shoppers and service roads.
The undulations are there for fun, but there is a strava segment called 'dodge the dodgy drivers'..for a reason. Keep your eyes open.

Mont Albert gets busy depending on the time but has a bike lanes as does Barkers. I cant help you after Kew as I dont hit the city much.

As far as shop rides go..head out to 1/20 like the rest of us 6am sunday cyclists.
BMC SLR01 '15 RED22
Giant PROPEL SL RED22.
BMC SLR01 '18 E-TAP

VRE

Postby VRE » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:06 pm

flex5150 wrote:I ride outbound from balwyn to Rinwood along Whitehorse at 5. 20am and see a few bikes heading inbound.
Then you may have seen me, on my Vivente tourer? I commute along Maroondah Hwy, leaving home around 4:45am, and typically reach Mitcham Rd at about 5am.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:19 pm

flex5150 wrote:Mont Albert gets busy depending on the time but has a bike lanes as does Barkers. I cant help you after Kew as I dont hit the city much.
Bike lane? Barkers Rd? I think you may be mistaken.

It is quite a while since I last rode along there but it hasn't changed too much to my knowledge. A quick check on Google Maps and Streetview confirms no signs of bike lanes - just the two traffic lanes. There are the 'bike logos' of a wider kerbside lane...... but this is not a bike lane - no legal status, solely advisory.

Mandatory helmet law?

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:11 pm

malocchio wrote:
I take Whitehorse / Mont Albert / Barkers which avoids the undulations of Canterbury Road.
Takes the OP too far north, I think.

The Alfred is south of Burwood Rd/ Toorak Road.

flex5150

Postby flex5150 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:42 am

VRE wrote:Then you may have seen me, on my Vivente tourer? I commute along Maroondah Hwy, leaving home around 4:45am, and typically reach Mitcham Rd at about 5am.
I usually pass a bike or two around box hill thru to Nuna. No doubt we have passed. I ride Tues Wed and Fri.

Il P doesnt Barkers have a bike "advisory " Between Denmark and Burke Rd?
I better brush up on my RRV.
BMC SLR01 '15 RED22
Giant PROPEL SL RED22.
BMC SLR01 '18 E-TAP

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:36 pm

il padrone wrote:I dislike Barkers Rd. It's quite hilly and has lots of traffic. I've always found Burwood Rd to be much better.
+1. Mont Albert and Burwood Roads for me, just keep your wits about you