Coast Bunch Rides Mooloolaba, Maroochy ETC

Wakatuki

Coast Bunch Rides Mooloolaba, Maroochy ETC

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi everyone,
As a non facebooker I am finding it hard to find rides in the local area.

I did my first Bunch Ride from Spin City Cycles on Wednesday and I would like to make 3 a week in the morning before work.
I can get down to Mooloolaba, Maroochydore for 5:30 6:00 using the car but I have to be showered at work by about 8:00 (Maroochydore)
I rode in the intermediate group B at Spin City and this was about my pace. 30kph on average, covering 40k's

I can't believe how different I feel, after just one... :D
Thanks in advance.

Wakatuki

Re: Coast Bunch Rides Mooloolaba, Maroochy ETC

Postby Wakatuki » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:27 am

A bit of digging and I found this.
Sunshine Coast Group Ride PDF
My experience so far:
I rode the 6am Wednesday Spin City and the Friendly Friday 6am from Mooloolaba (they gather outside the Coffee Club not the Loo with a view) this week.
The Wed Spin City is a shop organised event with people of all levels leaving in groups with a leader and back rider. I was glad I am a confident rider with reasonable handling skills and I was the only "inexperienced"rider that week and did put my hand up to that, that was a good move as it makes them aware of you and I was shadowed by the tail rider at the start, he told me I was fine and to move into the gap ahead, he then became a solo on the back. The ride I took was a average 28kph ride and at times it was a little slow for me, as a Clydsedale I like to gain advantages cycling downhill and using my weight to gain pace, especially if there is a hill ahead, but it seemed that d/hill was a freewheel affair. I moved to the front third of the pack we had calls from the tail to slow up, I was then the next rider behind the leader, but as I had no idea where I was going I filtered back when we had a single file moment! It is actually a networking ride with Coffee afterwards, about 7:30 which unfortunately I cannot take part in as I have to be at work for 8am. Two punctures happened on the ride and the pack leaders changed the tire, you have to bring your own spares, but they do carry them. They ask those unskilled at changing a flat to come to the front and give a narration and little tips too, like putting your hoods and saddle on the grass where possible to avoid damage and which gear to select before whipping the wheel off.

The Friday Friendly was a bit different, no apparent order, I just asked which was the slow pack and they said this was a Friendly Friday and pretty cruzy, the Pr's set would say different! My legs were ruined at the part I felt quite fresh at only the other day. It was fortunate for me I spotted the manager of the LBS who sold me the Foil and he squeezed up the pack and shadowed me the most of the way. I faded out totally at the next hill and dropped back but announced my intention before doing so and let them go, I then caught my breath and used my weight to catch them back up, before they headed off on to the longer part of the loop again work commitments (thankfully this time :oops: ) forced me to leave the pack early. I had a great solo blast back to the starting point, the only downer catching EVERY red light. :x

I really enjoyed the rides, my body is in utter shock as well my Strava times, I feel GREAT. Anyone else local on these rides? Would be nice to put a face to the names on here..

Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:45 am

Hi - I too have tried the Wednesday morning bunch ride...(great,shame it's only once a week!) Yet to try the friday ride, I'm ok with riding by myself but figure a group situation might push me harder.

Do you know of any other local group roses...prefer a beginner standard.. Iam new to. Riding so the fitness levels won't be there just yet!

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:12 pm

Hmm good question, which group did you do on Wednesday? I can give my opinion from there.
But if you know your way around the coast all I did was hang on as long as possible then drop off and turn back, next time a little further. NO shame in not completeing the bunch. I started doing a tues and/thurs in favour of mon/fri. TOO hard but a great push.
If your not afraid of climbing I understand they do a tues/thurs ride from forest glen bakery at 6am to Montville have a coffee then come down.
As I live in Palmwoods I just go up on my own accord. time keeps getting better :)

Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:10 am

Ahhh hmmm i fear the ride up to montville is best left for a car at this stage... It's not that I'm afraid to try but I think the ride leader would get sick of doubling down to find me still attacking from the last position of the group..

What I'd really like is a training course like they have in brisbane..you know where there is a group specifically in the stages of beginner or intermediate or fast that go out a couple of times a week etc, but I've asked around and there doesn't see to be any such sort on the coast? I now it's a service we pay for in bne - but with all the other clubs on the coast I thought there would be at least one dedicated to road cycling... Is there anyway of finding other riders in the local area for rides?

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:11 am

The best place for me has been the ride from Giant on Wed, made lots of new friends. Giant Sunshine Coast also have women only rides too.
Also try http://www.atlasmultisports.com.au for personal training (not used but heard about)
Also STRAVA I have found several great mates by seeing who is on ride leaderboards and realising they ride with you.
I will be there on Wed I wear a fluro yellow helmet, ride a Scott Foil and drive a grey x-trail introduce yourself if you wish.

Never fear the hill just do it on your own at your on pace, it's not that bad, I often get overtaken, what matters is that my times improve, sod everyone else!

Oh and on a slight downer this is the sunshine coast, don't kick yourself about the lack of things, just enjoy being yourself. You will find groups, but not organisations, unless you know the secret handshakes! :P

Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Thanks for that - ill look into the link for training... I need some group motivation as I find the roads with cars a little freaky for a new rider... But I'm trying!

Secret handshake... Oh do tell!

Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:16 am

Couldn't get to the ride today.... Kid duty..
How fast and far is the beginner group? Beautiful weather for it this morning too :(

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:14 pm

It was a great ride, big turn out too.
From memory the slow bunch averages about 38k's and avg speed of 30kph, easier than it sounds in a bunch.
The wind was pretty kind today too.

Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:22 pm

So today out on my travels I found PART of the Friday friendly today... But far from friendly lol they scared me! Came up on me out of nowhere, took off like dogs chasing a ball... All over the shop, not to me think rotating front rider in mad fashion, very odd.
Think ill stick to my own little rides for a it longer, can't wait to get a garmin so I can track pace/distance, think that will help!

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:35 pm

Yeah, Friday Friendly... a loose term...until you can hold your own and have good bunch skills best avoided. Stick with learning on a Wednesday, thats what they are all about, trying to teach you road and bunch craft, for free. Make yourself known to the shop and ride bar to bar with one of the shop people. I did it for a about 4 rides and learnt LOADS.
If you do find a rider, pair of riders, or bunch just ask is you can hang on or join for a while, there are only two real answers!
I have overtaken riders who you are flaggin, and shout grab the wheel if we are in the bunch or a tired traveller once asked if I could shelter him for a bit, he was clearly tired.

Newrider2014

Postby Newrider2014 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:16 pm

So I hit the brisbane scene today - interesting group. Probably bit too slow for me but all in all a good ride with beautiful scenery. I'm likely to head down there once a week/fortnight, they have so much more on offer in terms of groups etc. learnt a fair bit today - I was the youngest there by at least 15 years! Got to love experience, some of the guys were talking about when they did trialthons many moons ago... Ahhh I was insanely jealous of their fitness today!