Jan Ullrich retires

gdl_gdl

Jan Ullrich retires

Postby gdl_gdl » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:32 pm

Farewell to the man who would probably have won the Tour De France a further 5 times if it wasn't for a certain Mr Armstrong.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_s ... 396899.stm

"Today I'm ending my career as a professional cyclist," said Ullrich. "I never once cheated as a cyclist." - I think everyone will have an opinion on this comment! :wink:

Unless you've got legs like tree trunks don't follow this guy's technique for climbing hills :lol:

Cheers,

Gary

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:33 pm

Bit sad the way it ended - taken out by operation Peurto (sp?). He deserved better. As for coming second to Lance, that is a badge he deserved to be allowed to wear with honour. Still, I'll remember him fondly.

Richard

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:03 am

He may have had a good track record (sic) but it is a bit difficult to be totally sympathetic when the evidence is against him (and not the first time either). On the other side there is a fine line between what is legal and not legal, what can be tested and what not, what the drug testing authorities don't know yet.

Eric Zabel is a nicer character and I hope that now Ulrich is out of the way that Zabel can make a bigger name for himself.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:02 am

Is there evidence against him Christopher? My understanding was that he was caught up on the periphery - damned by association rather than being one of the drug cheats.

Sadly, I have to agree with your cynicism about the difference between legal and illegal. I'd like to see all drugs out of the game. It's not going to happen though is it. :cry:

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:20 am

Basically he was accused of bringing the sport into disrespect, being on the list of those who had visited a spanish doctor and dropped by his team.

As he didn't race he was never tested, so he has never been proven guilty. You can make your own judgement, I certainly have.

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:42 am

Makes you wonder about the pro cycling circuit doesn't it? Recently even read an article that LA's blood sample from some years back (?1999) has now been retested for EPO, and came back positive. Maybe all the pros are positive for something and some are just luckier than others. :roll:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:21 am

Unfortunately, once you add money (in bulk for the Euro pro circuit), to any sport it becomes just another business. The whole notion of sportsmanship (sorry ladies :oops: ) must go out the window. There is no time for "soft" options like fairness or doing the right thing just because it's the right thing when if you don't win, you don't (figuratively) eat.

IMO, drugs in cycling is probably no more widespread than any similarly funded pro sport. Just more publicised.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:34 am

Yeh, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:46 am

Never said it did.

Gotta look at ways of addressing why the pros feel they need to get juiced to be competitive. Who should be monitoring the whole issue? Are groups like WADA effective, or have we created yet more beaurocracys (sp), which over time, all seem to evolve away from their reason for being into something more concerned with protecting and propagating it's own existence?

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:57 am

I haven't got a copy yet but I believe that Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage tells a good inside story of a "domestique" back in the late 80's.

From the people I know who have read it (and the reviews below), the drug taking is fairly widespread but is done by many just to keep up and not necessarily "to win" as many believe. (I believe "speed" was used by many cyclists in the 50's just to complete the Tour De France.)

I believe that Paul reached the limits of his physical abilities as a "domestique" and had two options left, take the drugs and improve, or quit, so he decided to quit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rough-Ride-Paul ... F8&s=books

Cheers,

Gary

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:38 am

europa wrote:Is there evidence against him Christopher? My understanding was that he was caught up on the periphery - damned by association rather than being one of the drug cheats.
Enough evidence to get thrown out of Team telekom. His stored blood was found in a doctors fridge (Eufemmiano Fuentes) in Spain. Why don't you have a look for yourself: www.cyclingheroes.info/id222.html

Quote - Wikipedia
In May of 2002, Ullrich temporarily had his driver's license revoked after a drunk driving incident. After a positive blood sample for amphetamine in June of 2002, Ullrich's contract with Team Telekom was ended, and he was banned for 6 months. He explained that the positive result was from ingesting the recreational drug ecstasy, which had been cut with amphetamine.

Cheers
Christopher

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:30 pm

I don't think he did himself any favours with his aquaintances and inability to "cope" with the media pressure, but it is still sad to see him go. It is sad to see any sporting great retire when you know what they could achieve (and did in some cases).

OK, I've had one of those days, so excuse me if I now send this to the deep dark depths of stupidity!!

I'm a bit like Jan Ullrich myself - love pushing a bigger gear than everyone else, love a TT, never want to talk to the press (not they they want to talk to me either to tell you the truth :roll: ), never going to realise my full athletic potential :lol: , and inclined to put on weight :lol:

Sorry again...couldn't resist!!

Moo...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:59 pm

moosterbounce wrote:I'm a bit like Jan Ullrich myself - love pushing a bigger gear than everyone else, love a TT, never want to talk to the press (not they they want to talk to me either to tell you the truth :roll: ), never going to realise my full athletic potential :lol: , and inclined to put on weight :lol:

Sorry again...couldn't resist!!

Moo...
Stay away from ecstasy then, somebody might spike it with speed :?

You don't have to be a pro to win on the bike Moo, your ability to make me laugh makes you a winner :D Thanks

Shaun