How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

rheicel

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby rheicel » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:47 am

Today is just my 100th day of commuting for this year. Could have been more if not for my work situation and some lazy weather excuses.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:02 am

unpleasant commute. will let comedian explain

edit: and say a guy with a bianchi on the kuriulpa bridge with a broken spoke. he had to give up and walk poor bugger

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:16 am

Low spoke commuting wheels FTL!

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:23 am

Had a normal commute back on Monday afternoon, nothing untoward, maybe a bit slower than normal. Scratchy throat when I settled in at home, which I initially put down to sucking in a bug along the Darebin Creek Trail, but then woke up in the middle of the night with the onset of flu.
Been down & out since Tuesday morning, so no more riding for me this week. :(
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:45 am

Crawf wrote:Low spoke commuting wheels FTL!
looked to be 20-24 spokes
TailWind wrote:so no more riding for me this week. :(
take a couple of weeks TW. you want to make sure you are absolutely over it

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:10 am

jasonc wrote:

+1...ones health is of the utmost importance :)...maybe lots of that home brew will help the cause

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:19 am

gretaboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:

+1...ones health is of the utmost importance :)...maybe lots of that home brew will help the cause
thanks gretaboy - If I get into P2, I'll owe you a beer

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:33 pm

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:
thanks gretaboy - If I get into P2, I'll owe you a beer
Thanks guys for your compassionate interest in the matter of my health :mrgreen:
Will regale you with commute tales again next week and keep Endomondo ticking over in the accustomed fashion!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Thrilloilogy

Postby Thrilloilogy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:41 pm

I was 5 seconds off my personal best on one of the uphill segments on the way home. Very annoyed at myself that I didn't realise I was in contention to beat it, as I cruised towards the end whereas if I put a little in my PB set 2 years ago would have been number 2..... and finish off the ride with a moron motorist failing to give way to me despite looking clearly at me and having my flashing light on; and there still being light.

And people think that by paying rego people obey the rules.....

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:38 pm

Wicked tailwind this arvo, unfortunately the legs and lungs aren't up to taking advantage. PB on a short segment of the commute 4th best time on the longer segment and felt good with that. Then got home to find someone else had taken advantage of the tailwind and stolen two KOMs off me (same stretch, one short, one long)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ab012

Postby ab012 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:09 pm

tubby74 wrote:Not a great week. Monday night went to put new but cheap rear light on as the clipsnapped off. Bike on the train home.
Tonight chain developed two differer stuff links. Time to just chuck that one I think.
Leaving Anzac bridge heads west by te soldier, saw an ambulance with a cube road bike getting loaded in, could only assume the rider was already aboard. That little section has always concerned me, a chicane with a light pole in the middle, high traffic an high speeds off the bridge.
Ouch :( Yes and with speed bumps too... Dhope the rider is ok...

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:38 pm

A bit windy. In fact, so damned windy I had to ride a fair bit slower on the way in. Having a howling gale come from the side whenever there was an intersection or a gap between buildings just meant my normal speed wasn't safe.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:09 am

cyclist down (and by the sound of it in a lot of pain) on dornoch terrace this morning. anyone know the story?

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:14 am

Yesterday I started getting a cold/flu....maybe why I had no energy on the ride in yesterday. The ride home would have been into headwinds blowing 40+ k/h and temps up over 31. What with those conditions and the onset of a cold I piked it...got a workmate to give me a lift halfway home and the wife picked me up and gave me a lift the remainder.

I rode in this morning...no energy what so ever but I still rode. Hopefully the winds wont be so harsh for the ride home. Just took this morning easy and the ride home this arvo will be the same

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:08 am

jasonc wrote:cyclist down (and by the sound of it in a lot of pain) on dornoch terrace this morning. anyone know the story?
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... 2uho5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Four cyclists have been injured after two separate incidents in Highgate Hill on Friday morning.

A Queensland Ambulance spokesman said two cyclists were knocked off their bikes when they were hit by a car reversing out of a driveway on Dornoch Terrace about 5.50am.

One of the riders suffered a dislocated shoulder while the other had minor injuries. Both were taken to hospital.

An hour later, two more cyclists were injured on the same road after crashing into each other.
Advertisement

A 35-year-old was taken to the Mater Adult Hospital with facial injuries.

The other rider suffered minor injuries.
I would have seen the second crash.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:46 am

gretaboy wrote:How do you prepare yourself for idiots when they come at you so quickly and from behind...80+ k/h????

Should I have a little mirror to keep a watch on what is coming from behind me??If that is the case I might as well face backwards whilst riding forwards there is that much traffic??
I have found that the rear-view mirror I have on my bike (the Italian Road Bike Mirror) does make me less stressed about what is happening behind me and I give it a quick glance at regular intervals (or if I hear an engine behind me), although not sure if it would be as beneficial when riding a road with 80kph limit (I haven't tried that). I used to be stressed about what was possibly coming up behind me and whether they were too close, but now I can stay relatively informed and aware. Just my 2 cents.

Nothing to add here in terms of commute experiences. I've been keeping the kms up through recreational rides along the local trails and the Yarra Boulevard in Kew (I'm getting better at hills! Well, not in terms of speed but in terms of not dying on them :D ). Hopefully I have a ray of light to share sometime soon and can start contributing to this thread again.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:58 am

Summernight wrote:
I have found that the rear-view mirror I have on my bike (the Italian Road Bike Mirror) does make me less stressed about what is happening behind me and I give it a quick glance at regular intervals (or if I hear an engine behind me), although not sure if it would be as beneficial when riding a road with 80kph limit (I haven't tried that). I used to be stressed about what was possibly coming up behind me and whether they were too close, but now I can stay relatively informed and aware. Just my 2 cents.
Thing is....I know when vehicles are coming up behind me, I can hear them....that fact doesnt startle me. It is the un expected....the lout who hangs out of the passenger window and screams as the driver gets as close as possible, the idiot driver who leans on the horn as they come up on you...

A mirror isnt going to prevent that..it isnt going to show an idiot leaning on the horn...or even someone about to throw an object at the last minute.

I was thinking about this on my commute in this morning...one day I might sit down and count how many cars go past me during my 1.5 hour commute, using the go pro footage.

I would love to hear how others prevent being startled from the unexpected such as horns, idiots screaming as they get level with you and other factors. What are the skills to prevent being startled??

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:27 pm

gretaboy wrote:
Summernight wrote:
Thing is....I know when vehicles are coming up behind me, I can hear them....that fact doesnt startle me. It is the un expected....the lout who hangs out of the passenger window and screams as the driver gets as close as possible, the idiot driver who leans on the horn as they come up on you...

A mirror isnt going to prevent that..it isnt going to show an idiot leaning on the horn...or even someone about to throw an object at the last minute.

I was thinking about this on my commute in this morning...one day I might sit down and count how many cars go past me during my 1.5 hour commute, using the go pro footage.

I would love to hear how others prevent being startled from the unexpected such as horns, idiots screaming as they get level with you and other factors. What are the skills to prevent being startled??
I don't know that there is any answer or strategy to avoid being startled, and you're probably right that a mirror won't do to much to identify the potential of that happening. When it does happen, the adrenaline spurt is always good for a few K's of pretty quick riding. Despite that, I find that a mirror is invaluable on the commuter bike - especially when used in conjunction with your hearing sense... when something doesn't quite sound right coming from behind. The revving car, or the approach of a heavy vehicle, or just some noise that is out of place is worth a glance to ensure all is well behind you in so far as their likely closest point of approach goes (and of course to watch out for some sneaking CCR thief). Also, I have a couple of right hand turns and some points at which I need to merge into traffic, so it's useful for identifying likely gaps in that traffic. It's only a small thing but I miss it when I jump on the other bikes that are not so equipped.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:38 pm

oxonabike wrote:
I don't know that there is any answer or strategy to avoid being startled, and you're probably right that a mirror won't do to much to identify the potential of that happening. When it does happen, the adrenaline spurt is always good for a few K's of pretty quick riding. Despite that, I find that a mirror is invaluable on the commuter bike - especially when used in conjunction with your hearing sense... when something doesn't quite sound right coming from behind. The revving car, or the approach of a heavy vehicle, or just some noise that is out of place is worth a glance to ensure all is well behind you in so far as their likely closest point of approach goes (and of course to watch out for some sneaking CCR thief). Also, I have a couple of right hand turns and some points at which I need to merge into traffic, so it's useful for identifying likely gaps in that traffic. It's only a small thing but I miss it when I jump on the other bikes that are not so equipped.
I hear what your saying...but I have a hangover from riding motorbikes....I always turn and check, and double check, before I merge, move over or alter my line. Do this in the car also. Use my eyes and not just rely on mirrors.

When I hear the trucks coming, I always brace somewhat because of the resulting rush/breaking of air as they go past (the professional drivers will always put space between me and them thankfully as they go past)...however I dont expect them to lay on the horn as they go past :)....despite one doing that to me in the dark one night...now that scared the crap out me....but I do now expect a lot of them to release brake air as they go past...I can only guess it is in an attempt to startle me :) but maybe I also am a conspiracy theorist and believe gubberment is listening in to my typing strokes right now lol

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:56 pm

ab012 wrote:
tubby74 wrote:Not a great week. Monday night went to put new but cheap rear light on as the clipsnapped off. Bike on the train home.
Tonight chain developed two differer stuff links. Time to just chuck that one I think.
Leaving Anzac bridge heads west by te soldier, saw an ambulance with a cube road bike getting loaded in, could only assume the rider was already aboard. That little section has always concerned me, a chicane with a light pole in the middle, high traffic an high speeds off the bridge.
Ouch :( Yes and with speed bumps too... Dhope the rider is ok...
Sadly the RMS know all about that hazard but keep the chicane & speed bumps for "safety reasons". The idea is that that it will prevent "high speeds off the bridge" but sadly it appears the ride didn't get the message.

Am very happy that school holidays are hear. A lovely day for a ride in, few cars on the road & the drivers were in a good mood due to the lack of cars. Had an unusually clean run along Victoria Rd, downhill, green lights, no cars
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:32 pm

find_bruce wrote: Sadly the RMS know all about that hazard but keep the chicane & speed bumps for "safety reasons". The idea is that that it will prevent "high speeds off the bridge" but sadly it appears the ride didn't get the message.

Am very happy that school holidays are hear. A lovely day for a ride in, few cars on the road & the drivers were in a good mood due to the lack of cars. Had an unusually clean run along Victoria Rd, downhill, green lights, no cars
In my experience that section of path doesn't prevent high speeds, just makes it more dangerous. It's very poor road design to attempt to slow people down by putting them into a dangerous situation.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:59 pm

gretaboy wrote:I hear what your saying...but I have a hangover from riding motorbikes....I always turn and check, and double check, before I merge, move over or alter my line. Do this in the car also. Use my eyes and not just rely on mirrors.
A rear-view mirror is not a substitute for a head check, IMO. I still head check if I'm changing lanes/merging etc. I just use the mirror first so I know the basic lay of the land.

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:50 pm

And perhaps I should clarify: The mirror is only starts the process - confirmed by headcheck and intentions demonstrated by handsignals. Just remember that they are also useful when crossing left hand diverging slip lanes etc.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:39 pm

Wouldn't be without the IRBM on my commuter and roadie.

Today was fun, if a little cool when I set out, -0.2 windchill according to the phone.
Anybody know what's going on near the Southbank boathouses? Had to go far enough outta my way that I had to sprint Swanston and LaTrobe sections to get in on time.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Isn't there a football game or something?