Aldi Specials

foo on patrol

Re: Aldi Specials

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:14 am

^^ :lol: you idiot! ^^

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:09 am

cp123 wrote: i also bought a crane black vest and the zip busted fairly quickly. i just bought a new $5 zip, spent hours unpicking and put a new one in. Now it works right.

2/2 is enough to put me off. i'd rather buy name brands now.
I bought a wind vest from Aldi about 4 years ago and it's been great! I use it very regularly during winter. Very handy too with the zip rear pocket where I can put keys/money/gloves etc, not many other vests have these.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:14 pm

Ross wrote:
cp123 wrote: i also bought a crane black vest and the zip busted fairly quickly. i just bought a new $5 zip, spent hours unpicking and put a new one in. Now it works right.

2/2 is enough to put me off. i'd rather buy name brands now.
I bought a wind vest from Aldi about 4 years ago and it's been great! I use it very regularly during winter. Very handy too with the zip rear pocket where I can put keys/money/gloves etc, not many other vests have these.
+1 sorta, zip on one died early this winter past but the other is still going strong after a few years.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

spirro

Postby spirro » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Aldi cycling gear on sale this week.

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... ober-2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:27 pm

Is their gear still half see-through or has it improved?

william

Postby william » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:08 pm

You get what you pay for but rarely you can get lucky.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:43 am

There was a mad rush for the black bike this morning. Anyway, I picked up the blue jersey and a pair of arm warmers. The materials aren't too bad, but the external stitching just makes the jersey look a little cheapo. Doesn't look see through to me, other than the black mesh areas.

Picked up next week's catalogue to find that they're selling torque wrenches for $20. Gonna pick that up.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

TTar

Postby TTar » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:04 am

QuangVuong wrote:There was a mad rush for the black bike this morning.
Yep, it was bedlam. Fist fights will break out when stocks are low I reckon.

Got the toolkit -- really incredible value. I know half the items will likely shatter into a thousand pieces if you just look at them menacingly, but if used casually and gently, they could last a lifetime. The tyre pressure gauge was a bit of surprise inclusion -- especially as it only goes up to 50psi. :roll:

They also had gloves ($8) and okay looking helmets ($30) at my local.
Last edited by TTar on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my fortified compound

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:17 am

I was thinnking of picking up the tool kit, but I chose not to. My current tool kit is an equivalent, and Ive already worn out the cone wrenches and headset wrench. Firgured, its better if I put that $30 into better quality replacements. It's a great value kit to start off though.

Were you at the Guildford store? What were the stocks like? THere were 5 bikes at the Villawood store, all gone in the first minute. Maybe I shouldve picked one up, and offered it to someone who wanted it for extra $10.

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:24 am

I got the tool kit last time, It's actually really good value and some of the tools are half decent...

I somewhat cringed at all the people buying bikes, helmets, & everything.... They will probably ride the bike once and put it away because it won't change gears

TTar

Postby TTar » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:36 am

QuangVuong wrote:

Were you at the Guildford store? What were the stocks like? THere were 5 bikes at the Villawood store, all gone in the first minute. Maybe I shouldve picked one up, and offered it to someone who wanted it for extra $10.

Yes, Guildford. Stocks were quite high there actually; maybe 15, didn't really look... The mad rush here was for all the other cycling stuff.

And you could do a lot better than an extra $10 if you follow Jennay's example. :lol:
Sent from my fortified compound

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:38 am

I got the flouro jacket and a pump, there was just as many people poring over the scrapbooking stuff as there was picking at the bike stuff, but I'm in Canberra and people are weird here.

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:23 am

TonyMax wrote:I got the flouro jacket and a pump, there was just as many people poring over the scrapbooking stuff as there was picking at the bike stuff, but I'm in Canberra and people are weird here.
Same with Bendigo, Everyone just picking out every scrapbooking design there was.....

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:27 am

Just got back from the Civic store in Canberra. Stocks were low, but the crowds were fairly thin. Managed to find a few things that were my size. Seem to be decent quality stuff.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:37 am

TTar wrote:
QuangVuong wrote:

Yes, Guildford. Stocks were quite high there actually; maybe 15, didn't really look... The mad rush here was for all the other cycling stuff.

And you could do a lot better than an extra $10 if you follow Jennay's example. :lol:
Jennay is in a league of her own. We won't ever reach her level of bike selling skills. What I meant was just take one up, and push it around in the trolley. Find someone who wanted it and charge them a holding fee.

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:02 pm

Did anyone buy any leg warmers?

I opened them when i got home and they barely go past my knee cap...

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:07 pm

Yup. More like knee warmers. Though for me it's a safety feature to increase my visibility with my lily white hairy legs

dajackal

Postby dajackal » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:13 pm

keen to get a cheap jersey and knicks for cycling to work
hopefully there'll be stock left after work, but i aint keeping my hopes up :(

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:22 pm

Mrs JasonC went down there just after lunch (she knows better) and there was nothing left at my local

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:23 pm

Hmm, not much chance unless you're an unusual size... Although sometimes they keep stock back to refresh during the day and keep people coming in. You might be lucky

dajackal

Postby dajackal » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:30 pm

does size M count as unusual? fingers crossed. :P

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:51 pm

I'm a M and got the last few things in that size mid-morning in a city store (which doesn't seem to get the morning rush like the suburban ones do). Good luck...

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:57 pm

I picked up 2 pairs of the sunnies so now when I break them I won't be upset. The leg warmers are basically knee warmers or they were made for a midget.

jonbays

Postby jonbays » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:08 pm

I picked up a pair of gloves and they seem quite good indeed.

They have handy loops for taking then off which is how I stuffed up the fingers of my old gloves.

The bike tool kit was good value but no great quality tools most of which I have already individually and better quality. Still a good starter kit.

Couldn't find any of the spanners and screwdrivers though which all seem to have gone ALREADY.

Don't you just hate the bait type ads with no stock that suck you in to going in and buying something else you didn't need!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Can't get in til Friday, there'll be nothing left but torn boxes and well pawed oddments in the wrong size :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011