Strap v's laces on a shoe

swaz

Strap v's laces on a shoe

Postby swaz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:27 am

I have some very cheap GO ON sport MTB shoes that are lace up and some expensive shimano road shoes with straps and a ratchet.

I see some of the more up market MTB shoes have laces. What are people's thoughts on the two? I am on the hunt for some 2nd hand ones and was interested if there was a difference
Last edited by swaz on Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

rangersac

Re: Strap v's laces on a shoe

Postby rangersac » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:31 am

I've got a pair of Specialized MTB shoes with laces, and some shimano shoes with straps. Personally I don't think there's any difference. Sole stiffness has much more of a bearing than laces or straps. Of course with laces you've got to be a bit more careful to avoid wrapping them around your chainrings...
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:20 pm

No real difference in performance. I have both, straps are probably a bit faster to fit and remove when you are in a hurry.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:08 am

If you go for laces look for shines that have a way of securing the laces away from the chainrings. Mine have a Velcro strap that I can tuck them under. I'm sure it is really designed for additional foot retention, but serves the lace security function too.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.