Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride

Paul B

Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride

Postby Paul B » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:58 pm

What would appear just another inclement Tasmanian day to most, was in actual fact an attempt by the weather gods to thwart the plans for the inaugural Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride (DFBTR) :evil:
However, they had not taken into account the determination of Master 6, who, according to rumors, stood resolutely (dressed only in bibshorts) in his front yard shaking his fists at the dark clouds as they responded by dumping not an insubstantial load of the wet stuff in the form of rain and... SNOW. Yep, at 8 am the skies were black and it was coming down, it appeared the day may be abandoned. However, Master 6 prevailed and the weather cleared... the ride would proceed 8)

Leaving home the temp sat on 4.5C and the sun was beaming, apparently deterred by the Artic blast, the expected hordes did not eventuate, so it was left to the novice rider (me :shock: ), and master 6 to pioneer the uncharted territories that stretched before us. But hold on ..STOP THE PRESS... A late arrival appears driving a vehicle with a bike on the roof... Andrew, a Richmond Bakery regular. So now we are three !!! Thus we set off from Dodges Ferry at 10.00 am sharp and made our way to Primrose Sands via the recently bitumised back road... a veritable highway with next to no traffic, a few challenging short climbs and overall a very pleasant ride. But no sooner had the sun appeared than the sky looked like it had intentions of exacting vengeance on Master Six and associates... It did... in the form of freezing sleeting hail... seriously cold. Got through that and the sun reappeared... 8) all good ... until I got a puncture :cry: ... funnily enough right outside the Dodges ferry Bakery. Tempting as it was, but with only 36 ks on the clock, we pushed onto the Arthur Hwy and back to Dodges through Lewisham for a total distance travelled of 51 ks. Coffee all round and a bit of a chat and all in all feeling great having completed an epic first up DFBTR.

Looking forward to next Thursday and maybe a few more participants showing up for what is a fantastic ride ...(not a race... at least not until I am strong enough :oops: )
Great effort by Jeff and Andrew... they took it easy on me.

Paul B

Re: Dodges Ferry Bakery Thursday Ride

Postby Paul B » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:54 am

DFBTR has a new start time. 9.00 am departure from the bakery.
Last edited by Paul B on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:28 am

Looks a nice ride - and a few hills in it too.

I reckon a ride down and loop around the Tasman Peninsula would be a good one too.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

LG

Postby LG » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:57 am

I'll try to ride with you one week as well, but seldom have Thursdays off work sadly. If you ever head as far as Dunalley, let me know as I'll probably have more chance to meet you there. The road from Primrose Sands turnoff to Dunalley might be largely dirt, but it's fine and good fun on a roadie.
LG = Low Gear

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:55 pm

Thankyou to our kind dictator PaulB for the change of start time to 9am. This will give the working classes a better opportunity to participate in the morning, and still get to the workplace in the afternoon. Come to think of it, sometimes I miss the workplace, however I soon get over the distress of it all!

Hello LG. Do we have a resident rider in Dunally? Yes, I have ridden the back road a few times, and found it to be better than some bitumen roads that I have travelled.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Yes LG, I am sure we could work something out, Master 6 has advised me of a suitable route which may suit your requirement Additionally, there is the option to join a ride at the DFB on Saturday's from time to time.

LG

Postby LG » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:28 pm

I'm a resident of the Tasman Peninsula, but my better half works in Dunalley. At the moment I'm spending a fair bit of time in Hobart to facilitate my child's secondary schooling, so to and fro a fair bit.

It's a lovely ride on the coastal road past Connellys Marsh, much better than what the Arthur Hwy has to offer. Heading the other way from Dunalley on a circuit via Marion Bay, Bream Creek, Weilangta Rd and Copping also makes a fantastic ride on a roadie - combine the 2 and it's about 80km of some of the best rural/coastal roads in southern Tassie.

The next 2 weeks won't be an option for me, but will keep in touch.
LG = Low Gear

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:00 pm

The DFBTR Saturday edition took place today. Three participants were present (Paul,David and Terry) and the conditions were as close to perfect as you could get. A quick run to Primrose and back to Dodges bakery for a coffee stop. Coffee done,Dave and Terry went about their day while I finished off with another 15ks on the Quarry Rd loop to bring the distance up to 50ks. For anyone who may be interested, David and I will head out again from the Bakery on Tuesday at 10.00 am. And of course, the fun continues at the usual time of 9.00am Thursday.

redheeler

Postby redheeler » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:38 am

:D Paul B, if you keep doing the Dodges/Lewisham circuit, you'll come to enjoy it as much as I do. I usually do a round trip of 50 - 60 kms out through Sorell to Fingerpost Rd and return. Just enough hills but some days you need to make friends with the wind out on the flat in Penna. :D

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:01 pm

redheeler wrote::D Paul B, if you keep doing the Dodges/Lewisham circuit, you'll come to enjoy it as much as I do. I usually do a round trip of 50 - 60 kms out through Sorell to Fingerpost Rd and return. Just enough hills but some days you need to make friends with the wind out on the flat in Penna. :D
Yes it is a great run indeed, do hate that wind :evil: DFBTR is on again tomorrow at 10.00 am ...... and it is only Tuesday :P

redheeler

Postby redheeler » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:51 am

What's the starting time for the thursday run?

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:41 pm

redheeler wrote:What's the starting time for the thursday run?
Start time for the real DFBTR is 9am. .

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:23 pm

yes the bona fide DFBTR leaves at 9.00 am sharp (Thursdays). Any other days are merely practice for the main Thursday event and start times are open to negotiation.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:17 am

8.13 am Thursday 19/9/3013. Carlton Beach Rd, Carlton. 2.6 km east of DFB.

Raining. No reason to expect rain to cease within the hour.

New plan:- Assist my wife with grocery shopping.

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:37 am

It's actually a pretty decent day for a ride, as long as you've got a rain jacket on. Nice and sunny over in Taroona too, now that I'm home :roll:

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:30 am

yep... DFBTR was abandoned due to rain which seems to be well set in.

redheeler

Postby redheeler » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:53 am

Paul, did you do a coffee stop in Richmond last Saturday?

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:57 pm

yea, we stopped at the Bakery for a caffeine hit.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:40 pm

Where will PaulB take us tomorrow? 9am will reveal his plan :D

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:34 pm

A cool sunny start at 9am took us around the newly sealed Carlton River Rd to Primrose sands, back up Sugarloaf Rd to the Arthur Highway, through Forcett, Lewisham,Dodges, Carlton, and back to the Dodges bakery for good coffee. 53 to 56km depending on which part of the seaside settlement you call home.

Three local participants, PaulB, Dave Mac the ex orienteer/triathlete, and master6. Small field, of high quality :D

Master6 is keen to attract more participants, particularly people who like to ride at the front :D .

Next week , we do it again, on Thursday of course, at 9am.

The usual "bakery" rules apply:-
Nobody gets left behind
Everyone wins
Liars and cheats win extra points :D

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:34 am

It's on again tomorrow (Saturday). 8.55 am at the Dodges Ferry Bakery. 3 participants at this stage, David, Terry and Paul B. Need a few more :shock:

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:34 pm

Paul B wrote:It's on again tomorrow (Saturday). 8.55 am at the Dodges Ferry Bakery. 3 participants at this stage, David, Terry and Paul B. Need a few more :shock:
I'm a bit pressed for time. What time will you be back?

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:05 pm

we could do a short one... 35 ks. Primrose return.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:08 pm

Another DFBTR today... even though it is Saturday :-) For those who may be tempted to come along but mid week is not possible, Saturday is another option most weeks. In fact, the last couple of weeks have also included Tuesday. Thursday however is the official day of the DFBTR :-) so what are you waiting for.

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:10 pm

I have a better idea Paul. Let's amend the traditional week to a 5 day period (It would be known as the "Semi Metric Week") and name everyday Thursday.
This would remove confusion .
Starting time would be 37.5 % Oclock in the metric timing.

GO THURSDAY :D :D