Brisbane Magpies

winstonw

Re: Brisbane Magpies

Postby winstonw » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:21 pm

Dedot wrote:My friend's little boy just got attacked by this pesky bird at KBB today. Not knowing the notorious magpie attack, the family went on for a family ride on the track. The bird attacked her youngest boy first on the helmet and went on to his big brother, drew blood around the eyelid area. That poor boy must be traumatised now by this pesky magpie.

I suggested my friend to lodge a complain to the council.
yes I'd strongly suggest your friend lodge a complaint with the BCC, with pictures of the strike near the eye. I have complained about this one for the last 3 years, and more people need to do so. It put a young girl in hosital last year, and nearly blinded her in one eye. The BCC was still half hearted in its response .i.e. they paid a guy to trap it, but the bird had to voluntarily enter the trap...which it didn't.

singlespeedscott

Brisbane Magpies

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:41 am

Sounds like its time for a ninja assault with a .22 loaded with Zeds.

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:48 am

Psycho wrote:Hi guys,
Yesterday afternoon my daughter was swooped by a magpie on Barrack Road, Cannon Hill, towards Lytton road.
Think it might be time to give those cable ties a try?

Cheers,
Shane
Shane, I got targeted by the Barrack Rd bombdiver about 3 weeks ago from the roundabout north of the Cannon Hill railway station for about 200m north towards Lytton Rd. I will be avoiding that part for the next 2 months or so. No problems with that section after dark though, the magpie does not swoop at night.

jack11

Postby jack11 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:07 am

Not in Brisbane (but there is no GC magpie thread). Was swooped twice descending off the Fraser Drive climb in the Tweed area. Interestingly he didnt have a go when i was climbing the same stretch of road. He was aggressive too, almost landing on my back and trying to get under the helmet at my ears.

spirro

Postby spirro » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:18 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Hmmm. But yeah nothing swooped at us going past there. I even did circles on that corner while waiting for my sister to catch up and nothing made a dive. The one on Albany Creek Road usually attacks between Railton Street and Trouts Road when heading west (heading east it won't attack unless your on the southern footpath). I spotted one on the power pole while heading towards the hypermarket near the bowling alley but it just stayed there. There is also another one further down on Kirby Road next to the footy club. I've passed the one next to the high school but that only attacks if you are riding along the footpath. I've seen some magpies at the roundabout on Ellison Road-Murphy Road just before Chermside Westfield but so far I haven't been swooped there yet but it has in past seasons. I forget the street name (more than likely it would be Chailey Street or Pelton Street) but there is also another one in the box here
Maybe it's just me they like swooping. I wasn't on any footpaths when I was swooped :-)
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:13 am

Woohoo, first ride and no swoops! :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:28 am

I rode on Thursday and got no swoops either. Maybe there nearly done around Brissie.

spirro

Postby spirro » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:22 am

I got swooped on Murphy Rd near Marchant Park this morning. The thing hit my ear. Didn't think much of it until I put my hand to my ear a couple minutes later and saw blood. That was one of three swoops in different places this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

Lukeyboy

Re:

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:25 am

spirro wrote:I got swooped on Murphy Rd near Marchant Park this morning. The thing hit my ear. Didn't think much of it until I put my hand to my ear a couple minutes later and saw blood. That was one of three swoops in different places this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Yep. Bugger was swooping at me yesterday for the first time. Didn't make contact as I kept turning behind and looking at it :P

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Anyone seen the Gordon Park KBB pie since late last week, or the one further downstream near the train overbridge at Toombul?
I rode up that way around 4p on Sat arvo, and hung around for a while at both spots, and saw nothing. I am wondering if the BCC finally re-located them. Hope so...pretty hard to conceal a .22 on a bicycle...hmmmm....but....

http://www.roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com ... ried-guns/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:34 pm

The one around Montrose street was relocated on Monday by the looks of it when I went past.

kingswood

Postby kingswood » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:03 pm

The KBB magpie is alive and well.
He got me today. Startled the billy-o out of me. My apologies to the guy traveling behind for pulling up so quick without warning ( I'm sure he had enough space, and I was off to the side - but still - it's not my normal style). The guy behind mentioned as he passed that he got hit by that magpie yesterday.
No harm done, we're all in one piece and nobody else was in the area at the time.
Walking passed did work though and the attack stopped.

When I came back later I got off and walked through the patch, and watched the magpie attack three other male cyclists in a row. That bird is crazy (and busy).
Interestingly, it did not go for a female cyclist, or some other pedestrians. Just my observations, but walking did work.

Cheers.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:18 pm

Hmmm. I've been past there about 5 times and nothing has swooped me or even seen a magpie.

kingswood

Postby kingswood » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:30 pm

Maybe I've got the area confused.
The kedron bike path that runs under the montrose st overpass ( or bridge). About 50m east of the bridge. It was around 5 pm.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:37 pm

Nah nah youre all right. Its just the times that I've been through there recently I haven't spotted at Magpie at all. I saw it a few weeks back but it seemed to have vanished. Maybe it managed to make its way back....

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:01 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Nah nah youre all right. Its just the times that I've been through there recently I haven't spotted at Magpie at all. I saw it a few weeks back but it seemed to have vanished. Maybe it managed to make its way back....
It was probably on your 6, desperately flapping away trying to catch up...

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:04 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:52 am

Last year, the bugger also attacked on surrounding streets. last year, he got me on the steep section of Spear St, and Gunya St, on the south side. A resident who saw him land on me on Spear St said he is the same bird as does KBB. and he followed me right around back onto KBB. The year before he attacked me multiple times from KBB and 150 metres along Tindal St on the north side.

spirro

Postby spirro » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:06 pm

Got swooped a couple of times again today. One near Virginia golf course. Must be a common spot as someone created a segment on Strava called 'Magpie Run'. Damn butcher bird went for me also. He hit my helmet.

When can we expect to see the end of the swooping? I expected it to start to settle down by now but they are still aggressive. They seem to continue going for me in all the regular spots I ride through.
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:46 pm

I went to see the segment details and apparently I have the KOM at 42kph. Sorta explains why I never notice any magpies around any of these places! Haha

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I went to see the segment details and apparently I have the KOM at 42kph. Sorta explains why I never notice any magpies around any of these places! Haha

40km/hr is not fast enough to out run a maggie. I've done 50+ and still got hit.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:10 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:I went to see the segment details and apparently I have the KOM at 42kph. Sorta explains why I never notice any magpies around any of these places! Haha

40km/hr is not fast enough to out run a maggie. I've done 50+ and still got hit.
+1

kingswood

Postby kingswood » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:31 pm

Well, today was fun. I thought they might be calming down by now... They seem to be getting worse!

I took my wife for a ride to Kedron Brook today. I told her not to worry, well just walk passed the Kedron Brook Magpie, and he won't bother us. Anyway, I don't think he chases girls. Both my theories were wrong. It probably didn't help that my wife stopped right in the middle of his patch and decides she's had enough for the day. It probably wasn't wise of me to start pointing up at the trees and having a chat..."Maybe he lives in that one" etc. So we turned around and headed east bound ( still pushing). I said " I don't think he's around, you may as well ride ". She jumped straight on and took off...
Then "whack" on my helmet, and then he went east bound and swooped another rider than got my wife ( she's ok..). He then doubled back and went after a west bound rider.... Man that bird is mental, and fast.

My wife's still talking to me. The only theory I have now is that they attack from behind. I'm probably wrong on that one too.

On the way home I got swooped by a Butcher bird on Hedley Ave ( down near York st ) Nundah, then got hit by another Butcher bird on Belmore st Northgate ( near the Viginia train station).

I got swooped by the Butcher bird at the Viginia golf course a few days ago too.

I am looking forward to this season ending soon.

Cheers.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:58 pm

Where is this damn Kedron Brooke magpie. I've been through there lots of times and I haven't seen any magpies or been swooped. I had a guy say as he rode past yesterday watch for the magpie but nothing. WHERE IS THIS DAMN BIRD! Hahaha.

kingswood

Postby kingswood » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:27 pm

I think he waits for the slower riders like me. I lack the cycling zen that a lot of you guys have, and that bird knows it!! Ha ha.