Training on a heavy or weighted bike.

Arlberg

Training on a heavy or weighted bike.

Postby Arlberg » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:56 pm

Just wondering if there are any advantages by training on a heavy bike?

I have an aluminium hybrid which weighs a hefty 14kg. My carbon road bike weighs half that. Can I presume that if I train on the heavy bike for the same length of time as I would have on the lighter road bike I am likely to get stronger in the legs and lungs, and also burn more energy and therefore lose more weight?

twizzle

Re: Training on a heavy or weighted bike.

Postby twizzle » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:43 pm

Only when climbing/accelerating. But in general, "yes".
But, given hybrid vs road bike, you will use muscles differently which means you won't necessarily train what you expect. On a positive note, a hybrid is also a crapload less aero, so will always be harder to ride at the same speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

visrealm

Postby visrealm » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:53 pm

I recently bought a Specialized Secteur Disc commuter and with racks, guards, lights, Rack bag with panniers and my change of clothes, lunch, tools, etc she weighs around 17Kg. My commute is only 35km round trip with 600m of climbing. Suffice it to say, come the weekend when I'm on my roadie (which isn't especially light at around 8.5Kg) it feels amazingly quick. :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
'14 Avanti Corsa SL Team (Roadie)
'13 Specialized Secteur Disc (Commuter)
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)
'12 Avanti Cadent 1 - R.I.P.

am50em

Postby am50em » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:54 pm

Hmm lets see - for example you put out 250W for 3 hrs on a heavy bike vs putting out 250W for 3 hrs on a light bike.
Total energy expended in both cases is the same - but you will travel further on the lighter bike especially if there are hills involved.
If you only ride a certain distance say 50km then you will use less energy (lose less weight, less fitness) on the lighter bike.
Group ride with everyone on light bikes and you on a heavy bike, you will have to output more power to keep up assuming you do your share at the front (more weight loss, better fitness). Really its less about the bike and more about what effort (power/time) you put in on the bike.

visrealm

Postby visrealm » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:57 pm

twizzle wrote:Only when climbing/accelerating. But in general, "yes".
But, given hybrid vs road bike, you will use muscles differently which means you won't necessarily train what you expect. On a positive note, a hybrid is also a crapload less aero, so will always be harder to ride at the same speed.

In my case they're both road bikes, though the commuter is slightly smaller 58cm where my roadie is a 60cm. The difference is noticeable, but overall position is *similar*.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
'14 Avanti Corsa SL Team (Roadie)
'13 Specialized Secteur Disc (Commuter)
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)
'12 Avanti Cadent 1 - R.I.P.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:36 pm

Arlberg wrote:Just wondering if there are any advantages by training on a heavy bike?

I have an aluminium hybrid which weighs a hefty 14kg. My carbon road bike weighs half that. Can I presume that if I train on the heavy bike for the same length of time as I would have on the lighter road bike I am likely to get stronger in the legs and lungs, and also burn more energy and therefore lose more weight?
For sure - my mates dread me coming back from a month away riding my loaded touring bike. :D
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:13 pm

From my view, you should only be on your race (at full spec) is for a shake down and rehersal for a big race eg; a TT or team time trial.:idea:

Foo

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:23 pm

foo on patrol wrote:From my view, you should only be on your race (at full spec) is for a shake down and rehersal for a big race eg; a TT or team time trial.:idea:

Foo

My wife wants you to explain your 2N model to her. :P

And I thought N+1 was tough to explain. :roll:

I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:53 pm

foo on patrol wrote:From my view, you should only be on your race (at full spec) is for a shake down and rehersal for a big race eg; a TT or team time trial.:idea:

Foo

You need to ride regularly on your race bike to make sure you are users how it feels.

Even though my commuter and race bike are basically the same setup (both Madone's) the do have a different ride feel due to different wheels and tyres, plus a 4kg difference in weight.

This is especially true when it comes to TT riding. You just can't train on a road bike and expect to handle the ride the same.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:13 pm

Interesting. I'm surprised more people don't train on a heavier bike (or perhaps put weights on their bike if they dont want to alter their setup) as it seems like it results in a win win situation.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:35 pm

Deliberately riding a heavier bike instead your light, new, expensive and nimble steed is kind of like looking at ultrasound pictures of your baby after they're born.

You have to be damned dedicated and goal oriented to get on the heavier bike.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:50 pm

jcjordan wrote:

Foo

You need to ride regularly on your race bike to make sure you are users how it feels.

Even though my commuter and race bike are basically the same setup (both Madone's) the do have a different ride feel due to different wheels and tyres, plus a 4kg difference in weight.

This is especially true when it comes to TT riding. You just can't train on a road bike and expect to handle the ride the same.

You blokes can't be racing enough, if you don't know how your road bike handles in race trim. :?
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:58 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
jcjordan wrote:

Foo

You blokes can't be racing enough, if you don't know how your road bike handles in race trim. :?
Race nearly every weekend.

Ride my alloy Madone through the week and carbon on the weekend.

The exception is my TT bike. Ride it at least once a week and everyday before a TT

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Train/Commute on 11.5kg, Race on 8kg.
Although 8kg is not a light race bike, it still feels like i'm flying and is treated like a treat as such.
The 11.5kg bike is built for anything, 28mm tyres, disc brakes, mudguards, dynamo, Ti - a HTFU no excuses bike.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:44 pm

Riding uphill a heavier bike will take more effort, so would be useful as a training aid, but on the flat I feel heavier bikes actually provide some benefit through their momentum. I have a couple of steel bikes that are a long way north of 12kgs and while they are hard work and jolly slow on hills, they tear along on the flat like nobody's business.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:47 pm

Simple to sort this out. Do the pros jump on a heavy bike to train? Nope. Effort is effort. You can only put out so much power or push your heart so far. The weight is irrelevant, it's the effort that counts. Sure the light bike will feel nice after riding a heavy one but that's all.
Certified Brand Snob

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:30 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:Simple to sort this out. Do the pros jump on a heavy bike to train? Nope. Effort is effort. You can only put out so much power or push your heart so far. The weight is irrelevant, it's the effort that counts. Sure the light bike will feel nice after riding a heavy one but that's all.
+1

"It never gets easier, you just go faster".

~Greg Lemond

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:01 pm

The pros substitute heavy bike riding with weight training in a gym. Between being out riding a heavier bike and being stuck in a gym, I know what I'd rather do....

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:47 pm

Do they?

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:59 pm

well track racers certainly do weights (in a gym). and despite the bro-science, I'm convinced weight training makes a diff for other forms of racing. esp for masters athletes, whose endocrine systems make retaining lean tissue harder when doing higher volume.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Yes, but riding a bike 3 kgs heavier isn't a substitute for gym work. Like has been quoted a zillion times... The forces involved in riding a bike are less than that when walking up stairs.
You go to the gym to achieve things that cannot be done on a bike.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:42 pm

lobstermash wrote:The pros substitute heavy bike riding with weight training in a gym. Between being out riding a heavier bike and being stuck in a gym, I know what I'd rather do....
Unlikely, weight training (if we're talking about doing squats or leg presses) are only going to be a small number of repetitions, to attempt to replicate that on the bike you would need some extraordinarily high gear and only ride around the block once.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia