Stages Power Meter

michaelten

Re: Stages Power Meter

Postby michaelten » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:54 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
michaelten wrote:I bought some of the Vectors yesterday. That's my only concern with them. The fact I can change them onto my other bikes easily was a winner for me.

Interesting with the left/right balance. It seems I am 53% left 47% right at the beginning of the ride then as I get tired I swap to 47% left 53% right with power falling. The left leg is obviously tiring from the extra work in the beginning and the right leg keeps on going at the lower wattage. I definitely need to work on my right leg.
Or that's just how you are... I am pretty sure I am similar, but it doesn't seem to hamper my performance. Certainly a stages would be pointless for you.
I am very left handed (totally useless doing anything at all with my right), my left leg is bigger than the right by quite a bit. I thought it would be case of the right leg failing as the ride went on and left leg taking up the slack. I was quite surprised the right leg just plods along and the left varies a lot.

dale79

Postby dale79 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:31 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Thats at least the 3rd photo of a set of vectors I have seen like that already.
Wounder if they will release a upgraded part

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:47 pm

I don't understand why the didn't design it so the sensor faced to the rear or upwards. :rolleyes:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:02 pm

I know for a fact that in left vs right handed tasks, my left is basically a static force whilemy right hand does all the heavy lifting. So to speak. If you are left legged and you are functioning like I do, you might not get results from non dominant improvement if you don't deal with the neurological and positional reasons for relying on the left. My visits to Steve Hogg have shown me that this is no small issue to address. I am not entirely convinced that everyone is built mentally for the enormous effort to overcome that. I certainly don't.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:54 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I don't understand why the didn't design it so the sensor faced to the rear or upwards. :rolleyes:
Up wards wouldn't work without spacing the foot way out... my metarsal rubs on my crank already!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:57 pm

I am left handed, but I lead with my right. Hold everything in my right when playing sports. But kick with my left foot. Though on the bike my right leg definitely feels the strongest :| .

kb

Postby kb » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:30 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I don't understand why the didn't design it so the sensor faced to the rear or upwards. :rolleyes:
My understanding is you can orient it any way you want. It is recommended pointing it down with the crank forward and horizontal (ie. rearwards at bottom of stroke).

ParkertR

Postby ParkertR » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:06 pm

@MichaelTen - I went for Vector as well and picked them up about 2 weeks back. They rock :P

dale79

Postby dale79 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:11 am

so 7 weeks and around 1000km and my stages is still performing perfectly, unlike me with the bloody flu and stuff knocking me around,

when first calibrated the meter the cal number was 856.. I just did it again this morning and was 857..

can I fault it nope.. the number is reads after a 3 hour ride are with in a few % of what my powertap wheel was,

I still cant crack 1600w of peak power tho :(

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:05 pm

Do a couple crits, if you don't race, and I'm sure will.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:23 pm

If anything SSS it sounds like a fault with the power meter. You better send it to me while you have the flu so I can run some tests as to why :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

dale79

Postby dale79 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:16 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Do a couple crits, if you don't race, and I'm sure will.
Tuesday night ill race with it..

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:42 pm

Mines in transit.... The wait is killing me!

dale79

Postby dale79 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:37 pm

Carrots wrote:Mines in transit.... The wait is killing me!
Where did you get yours from?? Got a mate trying to get one now

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:55 pm

Does he have someone in the US who can receive it for him then forward it on?

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:03 pm

Mine has been flawless too. My calibration number is always 900 or 901.

Another great thing about the Stages is you get a 'free' cadence counter with it as it comes with a built in accelerometer. No more magnets or cable ties required.

You can order them through http://www.priceusa.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Thats what I did and it was very easy. At current exchange rates (.94) the Ultegra version will cost you about $985 delivered.

dale79

Postby dale79 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:53 pm

Carrots wrote:Does he have someone in the US who can receive it for him then forward it on?
nah he dosent. Fix werx won't send any more.. Will try priceusa thanks

joomz

Postby joomz » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:41 pm

I ordered a Stages. Apparently the lead time is anywhere up to a month. I'm reconsidering.

Given it's going to cost about $1000 to get a Stages to Australia,
The long lead time, and the delivery time,
All the difficulties of getting warranty repair in the US if something happens

I'm thinking of getting a Vector for $1500 in Australia.That's more than $200 cheaper than what they can get it in the US I believe, while getting a Stages here is more expensive than what our US friends get them for. Plus it's more accurate (L/R). What do you reckon, makes more sense to get a Vector doesn't it?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:48 pm

joomz wrote:What do you reckon, makes more sense to get a Vector doesn't it?
Yep.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:39 pm

twizzle wrote:
joomz wrote:What do you reckon, makes more sense to get a Vector doesn't it?
Yep.
After the clubs hill climb TT, I drove up the hill to pick up a clubmate whose pedal had stripped the crank thread due to the spacers needed to fit the Vectors. Second issue after developing cracks in the pods. He is now going to buy a crank based PM...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:43 pm

joomz wrote:I ordered a Stages. Apparently the lead time is anywhere up to a month. I'm reconsidering.

I'm thinking of getting a Vector for $1500 in Australia.That's more than $200 cheaper than what they can get it in the US I believe, while getting a Stages here is more expensive than what our US friends get them for. Plus it's more accurate (L/R). What do you reckon, makes more sense to get a Vector doesn't it?
Ordered if your not a fan of Keo (or at least cheap knock offs) you could spend another $200 and get a crank based PM

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:07 pm

Definitely seems to be getting harder to choose. The crank has to be the best option, but Ching Ching!!!

skull

Postby skull » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:53 pm

dalai47 wrote:He is now going to buy a crank based PM...
When the cost of the vectors is almost the same as crank based I know what I would get

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:02 pm

Hmmm... But left/right data is cool!

But I hear you - simplicity and reliability means crank or hub. Especially when I used to kill bearing in pedals all the time until I got the speedplays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

ParkertR

Postby ParkertR » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:24 am

joomz wrote:I ordered a Stages. Apparently the lead time is anywhere up to a month. I'm reconsidering.

I was thinking of stages initially but went for the vector instead after some issues with getting the stages. The USD just dropped... so it should be a better deal. I got my Vectors for a couple hundred less than 1.5k from my LBS (perth)