The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

Lukeyboy

Re: The BNA SEQ Weekend Warriors

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:45 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Ah yes the word sensor haha. For those that don't know the aero v brakes on the propels are just a shocker when it comes to damp/wet conditions on a flat crit circuit let alone going down 12% grades :P
Have you tried different pads? Kool Stop Salmon pads are the shizzel in the wet.
Pads work. Its the physical mounts that stick/won't release.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:04 pm

Smithstreet wrote:We perservered with the early storm and missed most of it. The Pei Rd was actually quite dry but it started to rain before we got to the shop at Glorious, so after a coffee, then another coffee, we headed back. Wouldn't have liked to go down the other side on wet tarmac!!
Only got 82k and 1600mts in so feel a bit 'ripped off'! Might have to make up for it in the morning.

I think Mark was more upset about missing the Fernvale bakery!! :shock:
I've clocked up 75 of flatso....feel like I need more...so am heading out again soon to get it over 100...and burn some of yesterday's carb load :shock:

Need to be home by 830am tomorrow so just a Scabby for me....or I could get stupid and ride over to Holland Park where I have to be at 9am. nah...forget that. hate that SE Freeway bike route...next option would be Logan Rd!

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:09 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Ah yes the word sensor haha. For those that don't know the aero v brakes on the propels are just a shocker when it comes to damp/wet conditions on a flat crit circuit let alone going down 12% grades :P
Have you tried different pads? Kool Stop Salmon pads are the shizzel in the wet.
Pads work. Its the physical mounts that stick/won't release.
for all the apparent value Giant bikes offer, gee I seem to question their judgement regularly.
- a female friend had a small Giant frame with internal cabling. the front der wouldn't change cleanly from day 1. many visits back to the shop and no better. seems the smaller frame wasn't compatible with cabling bent at more acute angles to go through internal housings.
- Giant's proprietary wheels seem to break spokes regularly, esp for guys over 85kg, though they insist there's no weight restrictions.
- and now this fancy aero brake issue!

I'd like to get a look at their R&D facility.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:32 pm

winstonw wrote:
Need to be home by 830am tomorrow so just a Scabby for me....or I could get stupid and ride over to Holland Park where I have to be at 9am. nah...forget that. hate that SE Freeway bike route...next option would be Logan Rd!

On a Sunday morning Logan Rd out bound is quiet, and there is a new section of the V1 from Greenslopes to Holland Park West which makes the Tarragindi side look like a track designed for 4 wheel drives.
Lisa

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:38 pm

marinmomma wrote:
winstonw wrote:

On a Sunday morning Logan Rd out bound is quiet, and there is a new section of the V1 from Greenslopes to Holland Park West which makes the Tarragindi side look like a track designed for 4 wheel drives.
yeah I should give it a try....at my age though, i have to get over decades of believing some roads should just not be ridden on. Never thought I'd ride on Gympie road through Brissy northern burbs, or Kingsford Smith Dve...but regularly do now...at least before 630am on weekends.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:35 pm

winstonw wrote:for all the apparent value Giant bikes offer, gee I seem to question their judgement regularly.
- a female friend had a small Giant frame with internal cabling. the front der wouldn't change cleanly from day 1. many visits back to the shop and no better. seems the smaller frame wasn't compatible with cabling bent at more acute angles to go through internal housings.
- Giant's proprietary wheels seem to break spokes regularly, esp for guys over 85kg, though they insist there's no weight restrictions.
- and now this fancy aero brake issue!

I'd like to get a look at their R&D facility.
The aero brakes were recalled because some wider rims had problems with spacing in relation to the available pad mounts because of the V brake design iirc. Besides taking bar tape off my bike for a overhaul I had another play around with them. Gave everything a good blast with the air compressor and re adjusted everything but I couldn't get them to stick again. Had another play with the tension screws aswell. The more and more I look at those tension screws I'm starting to think it might just be related to the tension screws (how tight you set them) with how tight you set your brakes (cabling/stretching etc) and built up dust from the long dry periods mixed with the brake dust. Once it gets wet and with some dirt and sand from the road it must clog or coat something around the cable/mount area which makes the mount stick only when its wet. Its the only conclusion that I keep coming too. Maybe a turn or two before it rains might help once everything has settled in again but I'll have to wait to find that out. For reference sake I do minimal mtce on my bikes but somewhere between every 1500-2000km I give it a full wash and service ie every 1-1.5 months.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:21 pm

well Marin, Logan Rd wasn't as bad as I imagined. Reasonable amount of shoulder most of the way out to Mt Gravatt shops...and traffic was very low (main gripe was I seemed to get every traffic light) However, getting off the Storey Bridge and onto Logan stuffed me. I thought of just heading down Ipswich Rd to Planet Cycles....but vaguely remembered there's not a lot of shoulder and the traffic was thick by then. What would you suggest?

I took the SE Freeway bike path on the way back, and took more wrong turns than right, and was never sure I was going in the right direction. A few signs wouldn't go astray.
Last edited by winstonw on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:31 pm

It's hard to believe anything brought to market via a company as big as Giant would not be tested appropriately before release.
Same could be said for Sram (Red's pre 2013 Red derailleurs!)
Can't remember when Shimano last had a significant problem with groupset design.

I'd expect a V brake to be able to cop a lot of fowling from mud and stuff flicked up by tires....I presume side pull brakes have been retained on most roadies to reduce fowling of cable/caliper connections. My old tourer had centre pull calipers, and was a very simple and very reliable design. My historical perspective is that dev'ts over the last 20 years have been overly complex, and introduced a lot of issues over those they replaced.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:26 pm

Well considering the pro teams use custom built aero brake mounts on their propels should say enough :P

I'm sure they'll come out with a revised braking system down the line. Maybe something down the handlebars/stem if they want to get really aero. They are very fiddly when it comes to using the tension screws as the pads get thinner and the cables stretch out.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:35 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Well considering the pro teams use custom built aero brake mounts on their propels should say enough :P

I'm sure they'll come out with a revised braking system down the line. Maybe something down the handlebars/stem if they want to get really aero. They are very fiddly when it comes to using the tension screws as the pads get thinner and the cables stretch out.
just upgrade to a newer model :P

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:11 am

winstonw wrote:well Marin, Logan Rd wasn't as bad as I imagined. Reasonable amount of shoulder most of the way out to Mt Gravatt shops...and traffic was very low (main gripe was I seemed to get every traffic light) However, getting off the Storey Bridge and onto Logan stuffed me. I thought of just heading down Ipswich Rd to Planet Cycles....but vaguely remembered there's not a lot of shoulder and the traffic was thick by then. What would you suggest?

I took the SE Freeway bike path on the way back, and took more wrong turns than right, and was never sure I was going in the right direction. A few signs wouldn't go astray.
Yes, the traffic lights can appear to be against you sometimes.

Yeah I wouldn't use Ipswich rd except very early on a sat/ Sunday morning.
I'd get off the bridge by going underneath and use the bike path around to Southbank, then either one of the two options:

Get on to the V1 by the Captain Cook bridge, ride down to the O'Keffe St exit, down to Logan Rd at Stones Corner, turn right into Cleveland St at the Lady Marmalade Cafe, left into Cornwall St and right into Logan Rd.
Or,

Use the same route around to Southbank go up River Tce to Stanley Street intersection, ride down past the Mater turn right into Annerley rd, up past Boggo Rd, keep left up the top and stay on Annerley Rd left into Cornwall st down past the PA turn right into Logan Rd.

Option 1 has less pinch points, the major one is the roundabout at O'Keffe St/Logan rd.
Option 2's major pinch point is dealing with the traffic who are turning left onto the freeway...pays to be assertive and claim the lane down Cornwall st until past Junction Street.

Re the signs for the V1, I think the locals remove them to prevent you northsiders from poaching all our K/QOM's :wink:

Hth
Lisa

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:35 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Well considering the pro teams use custom built aero brake mounts on their propels should say enough :P

can't imagine a pro ever wearing his brake pads down that much before his personal mechanic replaces them! :P
when pros start holding onto the same bike for 50,000km, and I don't need a mechanic to service it every 1000k, I'll start wishing I had a bike like theirs! :)
meanwhile, I'll continue focusing on bigger performance gain potential - bodyfat %, absolute muscle strength, spinal and lower limb flexibility, FTP, bike and racecraft. ok, back to earning a bob.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:41 pm

marinmomma wrote:Re the signs for the V1, I think the locals remove them to prevent you northsiders from poaching all our K/QOM's :wink:

Hth
ha...

thx for the routes. will investigate. I have to overcome this 'getting lost and disoriented in the southern suburbs' thing.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:17 pm

winstonw wrote:can't imagine a pro ever wearing his brake pads down that much before his personal mechanic replaces them! :P
You've never seen me on descents or on the slightest downhill gradient have you :P

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:04 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
winstonw wrote:can't imagine a pro ever wearing his brake pads down that much before his personal mechanic replaces them! :P
You've never seen me on descents or on the slightest downhill gradient have you :P
hmmm....yeah, you look like a Schleck! :)

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:16 pm

winstonw wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:
hmmm....yeah, you look like a Schleck! :)
Do you drop your chain much?

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:20 pm

Smithstreet wrote:
winstonw wrote:hmmm....yeah, you look like a Schleck! :)
presume you mean dropping....with Di2!

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:41 pm

winstonw wrote:
Smithstreet wrote:
winstonw wrote:hmmm....yeah, you look like a Schleck! :)
presume you mean dropping....with Di2!
Nah, referring to his now famous 'bad day' on the Port de Bales when Pistolero took advantage, apparently.

Yeah, turns out the stick insect was running some sort of old mechanical set up that then had to be modified with a little arm thingy that,well, not sure if it worked or not.
Don't recall him being on any podiums since then anyway.

Mechanical..... soooooooo last century!! 8)

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:05 pm

I notice a few may be interested in a Binna Burra visit.

This is what I'm planning on this Sunday

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=616368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The forecast looks good at this stage. Parking at the usual Middle Park at Tamborine Village,just near the intersection of Waterford-Tamborine, Beenleigh-Beaudesert and Tamborine Mtn Rds (phew, don't ask me to repeat it. See map.)
Proposing a 6am start from there.
It's only a tick over 100kms but with probably about 2500-2600 mts elev.
If on the return you don't want to do the Goat Track back over Tamborine, there is the flat Mundoolun Connection Rd option from Canungra back to the cars if the legs are 'disobeying' you.

Happy to give someone a lift. Room for one passenger, but can fit two more bikes (besides mine)

Bring cash/phone/spares, usual stuff. The café at the top is good, with great views of course.

PM me if you are keen, or reply here.
winstonw will be a starter I'm sure, and it sounds like Lukeyboy would like to open his GC Hinterland palmares with a nice scenic ride!

Hope to see some of you there.

SS

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:19 pm

Smithstreet wrote: Don't recall him being on any podiums since then anyway.
Won on Col du Galibier in 2011.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Smithstreet

Postby Smithstreet » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:03 am

ldrcycles wrote:
Smithstreet wrote: Don't recall him being on any podiums since then anyway.
Won on Col du Galibier in 2011.
That's right, forgot that one. :?

albertgaleano

Postby albertgaleano » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:17 pm

Smithstreet wrote: notice a few may be interested in a Binna Burra visit.

This is what I'm planning on this Sunday
Damn I am keen for the Binna Burra trip but will be down Melbourne :cry:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:23 pm

Haha. Sounds like a good plan but I'll be required elsewhere mid morning on Sunday so I won't be able to make it.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:00 pm

Just confirming I'm in SS. so that's at least 5 now I think. Looking forward to it now.

Who's doing Bris to Gold Coast?

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:09 pm

I'm in for B2GC