Road Bike Hire Hobart

boatonthehill

Road Bike Hire Hobart

Postby boatonthehill » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:02 pm

Hello All

I am travelling from Perth to Hobart and have a couple of days free and would love the chance to ride around Hobart and tackle Mt Wellington.
I am not in the position where I can bring my own bike over just my helmet, shoes etc so am hoping that somehow may have leads as to where I shoUld look for hiring a half decent road bike for 48 hours?

Google hasnt thrown me much in the way of hiring road bikes

any help is appreciated! also if someone is willing to show a tourist cyclist around a couple of local routes Tuesday 8th and Wednesday 9th October that would be great!

Paul B

Re: Road Bike Hire Hobart

Postby Paul B » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:56 pm

if you can get out to Dodges Ferry (40ks Out of town), Tuesday at 10.00, we do a nice ride along the river at Carlton and the cliff tops at Primrose Sands. Up to 50 ks but less if you like and a stop for coffee.

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi there boatonthehill.

We're a pretty friendly lot over here so if you let us know what sort of bike you are looking for and the size details I can organise a loan of something for you.

Riding is Tassie is pretty easy if you don't like hills - cos you just stay home!! The alternatives are plenty with a wide variety of choices to test the legs and see some magic scenery. Once we sort out a bike for you an get an idea of what you're looking for we can send you off on some of the regular routes around town.

boatonthehill

Postby boatonthehill » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi BenevolantDictatorD & Paul B

thanks very much for the tips! I called a few bike shops and none seemed to like my chances of hiring a roadie so I went with the MTB option Cyclingo offer the lady I spoke to on the phone was very helpful, after researching some of the trails I dont regret my descision! Looks fantastic. Think i'll tackle the north south first, I'll get my climbing fix getting to the start of the trail.

Oh and you are right, in my experience Taswegians are the friendliest easy going folk in Oz!

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:22 pm

Enjoy :-)

justchops

Postby justchops » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:43 pm

hello tassie riders

im in the same situation as the original poster.
coming to tassie and would like give mt wellington a go, x5.
im 180cm tall, 77kg (elite endurance mtb'r)
i arrive late on the 31st oct.
pretty keen to ride from the 3rd (sunday) till wednesday.
james lamb is my name, and happy to throw a few $$$ or buy the coffees if you come riding with :)

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Anyhow... I was looking into this and found about the only option for bike hire is Cyclingo on Macquarie Street in South Hobart. Fortunately they're also a bloody good option - hire fleet consists of full-carbon/105-equipped Jamis roadies (they also have some decent-looking dual-sus MTBs).

I took one of the roadies up the mountain on the weekend; the guys at the shop were super-helpful - let me pick up the bike on the previous afternoon, and installed flat pedals that could be removed with a mini-tool so I could switch them for the clipless pedals I'd left at my accomodation.

Also doesn't hurt that the shop is next door to a decent cafe that's open on weekends ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:44 pm

And the shop is literally right at the foot of Mt Wellington!
John is very helpful too. Great bike shop.

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:52 am

+1 for Cyclingo

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:20 pm

Cycle touring in Tasmania could be given a boost by the Tourism office ,as is the case in Wangaratta, home of the magical Murray to the Mountains cycle trails.

In Wangaratta, the Tourism Information Office has hire bikes available, as do several bike shops.

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:20 pm

Got a plan there Master6 to go to Tourism Tasmania?

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:36 pm

nailsaslegs wrote:Got a plan there Master6 to go to Tourism Tasmania?
:-

Sure have Rob.

I sent this message to Tourism Tasmania

"As an avid cyclist I participate in several forums related to cycling.

I have noticed regular requests from outside Tasmania for information about bicycle hire availability, and have noted that respondents are usually unable to assist with much worthwhile information, due to the lack of availability of hire bicycles.

Wangaratta, in Victoria, has a vigourous recreational cycling tourist business, with people flocking to the area from all over Australia to enjoy the area and the excellent cycling courses. They have the famed "Murray to the Mountains" cycling tracks , and promote them widely.

The Tourist Information Centre in Wangaratta has bicycles available for hire, and several bicycle shops have introduced similar offerings.

The point of this message is that we have cycling courses in Tasmania of at least the same quality, and in far greater quantity, and I suggest that your organisation might have a look at the situation in Wangaratta, with a view to providing hire facilities in Hobart, Devonport, and Launceston.

This could lead to many more cycle tourists visiting Tasmania.

Jeff Brown

Carlton

Tasmania"

Should you wish to make your own comment to Tourism Tasmania, the email address is:-

reception@tourism.tas.gov.au

nailsaslegs

Postby nailsaslegs » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:55 pm

+1 for your comments

Good bike hire would work in Hobart with quality road or commuter bikes to hire out would work. Give them a map of Hobart with key things to see and off they go, coffee stops, Salamanca historic parts, Shot Tower etc. Even with the Mt Wellington Challenge mention for the more intrepid rider to try.

I mention Pete rans MTB Tours with Wild Bike Tours, look at them on Facebook. He is heavily involved with cycle tourism in Hobart.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:18 pm

master6 wrote:This could lead to many more cycle tourists visiting Tasmania.
Well, I don't think this thread is about cycle tourists - it's about casual visitors wanting a short-term bike hire.

When I was researching a bike tour in Tassie I discovered Tourism Tasmania do a pretty good job of promoting cycle tourism, including the excellent Self Guide Cycle Touring brochure which I used on a Giro Tasmania few years ago.

Generally, cycle tourists bring their own bike. But touring bikes and camping gear can be hired from Tas Equipment Hire in Launceston. Listed in the brochure along with several others and a link to the Discover Tasmania cycling page where there is a lot more information, and a link to the Bike Tas page where there is a list of bike shops, bike hire and tour operators.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:56 pm

RonK wrote: I don't think this thread is about cycle tourists
Well I will be bar guard :!:

I finally get nailsaslegs on side, and now you pick up the whip Ron :evil:
Dont you know that threads are like the Derwent....meander here......meander there......meander everywhere :?:

I bet that there is something else that you dont know about threads and posters Ron :wink:

Some of us suffer from the forum condition known as "The Compulsive Respondent Syndrome".
The afflicted perform involuntary postings to forum threads, regardless of their knowledge, or total lack of it , relating to the thread. Sufferers MUST be heard, even if it is simply a statement that "I know nothing about it"
Many with this affliction graduate to politics, and find the "I know/knew nothing about it" to be their major strength.

Sometimes we accidently fall back into the theme of the thread (not intentionally).

I dont know what happens in Launceston (where is Launceston?), however it frequently appears that cycle tourists or casual visitors flying in to Hobart have some difficulty hiring a bike.

As you well know, Tassie is a great place to ride. :D

LG

Postby LG » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:40 am

I agree hire of suitable bikes in Hobart is problematic. I recently tried to assist a couple from the USA wanting to hire touring bikes as they didn't want to bring their own bikes and gear with them as a cycle tour of Tassie was only a small part of a much larger holiday. They were interested in hiring bikes and equipment suitable for credit card touring leaving from Hobart & finishing in Launceston a few weeks later. Trying to sort commercial hire from overseas proved to be very problematic. In the end through personal introductions and word of mouth they ended up getting lucky and used bikes from a couple who hired some hybrids in Launceston and rode them to Hobart finishing their tour just before the couple I knew were due to depart, so they rode them up the east coast and dropped them back to the company in Launceston.

There appears to be a solid touring and road bike hire market in Hobart which isn't currently being well catered for. This is an opportunity for somebody (not me).
LG = Low Gear