The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

bychosis

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby bychosis » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:50 pm

Here's a new one for me:
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:29 pm

You've never read a book while walking?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:49 am

I've browsed the odd information book whilst strolling, but this was reading a novel whilst walking for exercise.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:25 am

bychosis wrote:I've browsed the odd information book whilst strolling, but this was reading a novel whilst walking for exercise.

I reckon good luck to her. Its better than someone with a loose pooch, and she would appear to be on the left, and not likely to jump right as some do......but you never know... :D
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

stretts

Postby stretts » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:14 pm

A pedestrian in their own world today

skull

Postby skull » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:38 pm

His version

You're a hoon

You came out of nowhere

Scare an innocent ped

Even rode on the wrong side of the road.

Menace

:D

Xenon

Postby Xenon » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:30 pm

skull wrote:His version

You're a hoon

You came out of nowhere

Scare an innocent ped

Even rode on the wrong side of the road.

Menace

:D
And you probably almost hit him...

stretts

Postby stretts » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:21 pm

haha most probably

tekapo

Postby tekapo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:43 pm

stretts wrote:A pedestrian in their own world today
Had to same thing today, a guy walking in the middle of the path ear plugged in and doing arm stretches. Rang the bell like 5 times and still didn't notice me, at least didn't show any signs that he noticed. Well, at least there was enough space to pass him.

You just gotta love the weekends.

skull

Postby skull » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:51 pm

So I spent the weekend in Sydney just gone.

Went for a bit of a ride from where I was staying in Darling Harbour to Watsons Bay, Bondi then back to the hotel. Anyway I can see why there are drivers out there that have a dislike for cyclists.

The majority of riders I came across on my ride where all nice and riding courteously. However, upon return to the CBD I encountered a bunch that gives us a bad name. So I was stopped at a red next to a car near Kings Cross, a bunch comes barrelling down the footpath then out and through the red. They then blocked the middle of the intersection as they couldn't get all the way across due to traffic and thus impeded cars.

A bit further on and they are sitting waiting at light and I caught up. Light went green so they finish their little chat and rode of at a leisure. Obviously they all had problems with getting clicked into their pedals as they then spread across both the lanes fluffing about once again blocking cars. Then as they rode off towards the bridge they seemed to decide that riding in a bunch was to much effort and spread out all over the road in a shotgun formation.

Unfortunately this sample of cyclists gets us all tarred with the same brush.

VRE

Postby VRE » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:03 am

skull wrote:So I spent the weekend in Sydney just gone.

Went for a bit of a ride from where I was staying in Darling Harbour to Watsons Bay, Bondi then back to the hotel. Anyway I can see why there are drivers out there that have a dislike for cyclists.

The majority of riders I came across on my ride where all nice and riding courteously. However, upon return to the CBD I encountered a bunch that gives us a bad name. So I was stopped at a red next to a car near Kings Cross, a bunch comes barrelling down the footpath then out and through the red. They then blocked the middle of the intersection as they couldn't get all the way across due to traffic and thus impeded cars.

A bit further on and they are sitting waiting at light and I caught up. Light went green so they finish their little chat and rode of at a leisure. Obviously they all had problems with getting clicked into their pedals as they then spread across both the lanes fluffing about once again blocking cars. Then as they rode off towards the bridge they seemed to decide that riding in a bunch was to much effort and spread out all over the road in a shotgun formation.

Unfortunately this sample of cyclists gets us all tarred with the same brush.
You can leave me out of that group, thanks. I refuse to accept responsibility for how other people to whom I have no connection happen to ride their bicycles. They don't represent me, and never will, any more than a badly-driving motorist represents all motorists.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:33 am

And yet they will be the example that gets trotted out every time there is a cycle hate story going around. They are the represention of Harley riding, patch wearing subgroup of motor cyclists in cycle form.

skull

Postby skull » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:18 am

You say they might not represent you VRE, but to motorists they do.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

VRE

Postby VRE » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:34 am

skull wrote:You say they might not represent you VRE, but to motorists they do.

Then the motorists need to be educated. To me, this blaming of all cyclists for what a minority do is a pretty clear case of prejudice, and I don't intend to act like a victim and pretend that some complete stranger on a bicycle somehow represents me.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:24 am

skull wrote:You say they might not represent you VRE, but to motorists they do.

They don't represent me either. I don't ride in the CBD, so I cannot do anything about them short of lobbying authorities to ban bicycles from the CBD. Do you want me to do that? No, probably not.

skull

Postby skull » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:50 am

Clowns I'll break it down to simple terms.

Cager see bike rider

Bike rider does something (run red, block traffic)

As far as cager cares all cyclists are the same.

Like it or not.

Also pretty sure this is the thread for dumb peds and cyclists. Just putting out what I have seen of some dumb cyclists.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:07 am

Easy comeback...

"I saw a bike rider go through a red light once, yer ALL outlaws!"

"I nearly got killed by a car roaring through a roundabout with a beer in his hand, you Sir are a murderous drunkard!"

Throw the bs back at them and watch them splutter indignantly.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:13 am

Mulger bill wrote:Easy comeback...

"I nearly got killed by a car roaring through a roundabout with a beer in his hand, you Sir are a murderous drunkard!"

i remember taking that line with an idiot in a ute talking on his phone and who cut me off. i was on a motorbike. he said "youse all break the rules". i pointed out that i'm not "youse all" and he responded very eloquently with "i'm smash yer!" he was talking through the open passenger window, with his 12 yr old son in the seat...

VRE

Postby VRE » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:32 pm

skull wrote:Clowns I'll break it down to simple terms.

Cager see bike rider

Bike rider does something (run red, block traffic)

As far as cager cares all cyclists are the same.

Like it or not.

Also pretty sure this is the thread for dumb peds and cyclists. Just putting out what I have seen of some dumb cyclists.

As I just mentioned, the underlined part of your post above demonstrates anti-cyclist prejudice, which needs to be stopped, but that won't occur if you just accept it as the way things are.

By the way, calling someone who disagrees with you a clown isn't very classy.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:01 pm

jules21 wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Easy comeback...

i remember taking that line with an idiot in a ute talking on his phone and who cut me off. i was on a motorbike. he said "youse all break the rules". i pointed out that i'm not "youse all" and he responded very eloquently with "i'm smash yer!" he was talking through the open passenger window, with his 12 yr old son in the seat...
Not the situation I was thinking about. No rules on the road...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

skull

Postby skull » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:02 pm

You're right I should accept other riders riding like tools.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:08 pm

Who suggested you should? :shock:

I've told people with that attitude before that when they see ME misbehaving they can call ME on it and if they ever do they can have my bikes to do with as they will.

Still ridin'.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:23 pm

Driving through evening traffic at Castle Hill today. The main road (don't know what it's called, not a local). Recumbent rider plodding up the hill in the gutter, literally on the concrete bit, outside the yellow no stopping line. There was an alternative footpath not more than 2m away.

Mr Recumbent: Either claim some lane, or ride the footpath. Don't hide in the gutter.

(pretty sure he had a beard)

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:35 pm

bychosis wrote:Driving through evening traffic at Castle Hill today. The main road (don't know what it's called, not a local). Recumbent rider plodding up the hill in the gutter, literally on the concrete bit, outside the yellow no stopping line. There was an alternative footpath not more than 2m away.

Mr Recumbent: Either claim some lane, or ride the footpath. Don't hide in the gutter.

(pretty sure he had a beard)
That dude (also sure he wears sandles ;-)) has been pottering around this area for years. There reason I say pottering is because I only ever seem to spot him on climbs. At least 6-7 years that I can recall. Always well in the gutter but with amazing skills at holding his line. He always takes main roads too.

I think his flag is what saves him......
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:01 am

numpty riding across the red moggil road pedestrian lights in front a police car
cops response: nothing.