Foam Roller - Implement of Torture

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Xplora

Re: Foam Roller - Implement of Torture

Postby Xplora » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:12 am

Picked up a short rumble roller off Ebay and after a run up Bellbird Hill and Wark yesterday I can honestly say I feel a lot better for it, especially after attacking my upper neck. Also been lying on a racquet ball on the knots over the last couple of days - feel a lot better and energised. Muscles still feel ruined though LOL

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:03 pm

I got a cheap one from Clark Rubber. Did wonders for my lower back. Hated it at the start but its worth persisting with, the slower you roll the better. Saw the Hawks were using them pre-game at the grand final on the weekend, had never considered this, thought they were just for recovery.

scotto

Postby scotto » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:57 pm

i always smile when i read "knots in my muscles" !!

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:06 pm

danny the boy wrote:I got a cheap one from Clark Rubber. Did wonders for my lower back. Hated it at the start but its worth persisting with, the slower you roll the better. Saw the Hawks were using them pre-game at the grand final on the weekend, had never considered this, thought they were just for recovery.
+1 $40 and effective

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:35 pm

scotto wrote:i always smile when i read "knots in my muscles" !!
Professional sadists, the lot of you :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:28 pm

biker jk wrote:I use it post ride on my quads, hamstrings,calves and adductors. Works very effectively.
I do as well, they are great. But I hate using them on the ITB, that's tough and it hurts. But then it's no worse than a physio doing similar to them. ;)

I was recently really thankful I had the roller - I had to use it on my back and shoulders. One morning I was running to the train, really running and carrying a heavy bag in one hand. Then I noticed a twitch in the shoulder, and the muscles tightening. It was awful, even hurt to take a deep breath. I realised it wasn't anything heart related or like that, it was obviously some muscle strain of some sort and hurried off to a physio that day who pinpointed what it was.

After a day or two of using the roller (and one physio session) it was all good and no problems again.

Those rollers really, really work. I remember ages ago I had so many calf cramping problems I was scared to really ride fast for fear of getting a cramp somewhere far away from home and having a difficult job getting back. Doesn't happen any more and riding is really, really fun. :D Using the rollers and also doing a bit of massage on the muscles in the shower really helps.

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:43 pm

g-boaf wrote:
biker jk wrote:I use it post ride on my quads, hamstrings,calves and adductors. Works very effectively.
I Using the rollers and also doing a bit of massage on the muscles in the shower really helps.

Careful you might go blind :mrgreen:

Daus

Postby Daus » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:29 pm

I use these during every gym session and at home to reduce muscle tightness- they are very effective and it is interesting to note that when used regularly that the pain lessens. I also use a 10kg medicine ball on my inner thighs as well to roll the muscles out this is very effective and has helped a lot to stabilize my aging knees in conjuction with a lot of time on the cross trainer.

nicske

Postby nicske » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:46 pm

I use them regularly and find them to be a great relief after a long ride. I use them about 3-4 thimes a week. Defintely a must if youre riding more than 200km a week.

Farmer Elvis

Postby Farmer Elvis » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:25 pm

Reading this reminds me how good that roller hurts!

apollocreed

Postby apollocreed » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:41 pm

Used a roller at the gym for the first time. Really loosened up my back and quads. Was really nice for the ride home afterwards.

But I'd like to smash my calves too. Can't seem to get enough weight on them to get a deep enough massage. Considering buying the rumble roller.

Also, I loved the pain it inflicted. Such a nice feeling getting those muscles loose

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:30 pm

apollocreed wrote:Used a roller at the gym for the first time. Really loosened up my back and quads. Was really nice for the ride home afterwards.

But I'd like to smash my calves too. Can't seem to get enough weight on them to get a deep enough massage. Considering buying the rumble roller.

Also, I loved the pain it inflicted. Such a nice feeling getting those muscles loose
Cross your legs at the ankles and hold your butt off the ground... well works for me anyway.