How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

lobstermash

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby lobstermash » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:23 am

First ride on my newly restored Hanter roadie this morning. Lovely, responsive and smooth ride in. Quite fast too.

98octane

Postby 98octane » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:32 am

VRE wrote:
98octane wrote:
98octane wrote:Fastest ever ride home tonight. 34 kph average for 14km, from central Melbourne CBD, along MYT and Gardiners Creek Trail and a ~6% climb at the end. A mild NW tail wind was pushing a storm front through, which I luckily beat home. Only a little rain during the ride. :)
Beat my previous PB tonight. Average speed 34.4kph. Nice tail wind, with some lateral gusts.

Sent from my XT905 using Tapatalk 2
How did you manage that, on shared paths not designed for high speeds?
Plenty of wider sections along the Yarra and Gardiners Creek with good sight distances, and part of my ride is along Yarra Blvd where it's safe to maintain 40kph+. Plus I ride after 830pm, so there are very few others on the path.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:33 am

jasonc wrote:10000kms for the year commuting this arvo
Nice work!!

Another blustery afternoon in Melbourne for the the ride back yesterday, had three showers along the way.
On the plus side, my magpies seem to be fair-weather-swoopers, so 3 out of the 4 had the afternoon off, and only the last one, about 300m from home, deigned to come out and make an effort. The clouds had opened up a bit and there was some sunshine, perhaps that's why...

Headwind into the CBD for a change this morning, with a light shower. Took a few minutes longer than usual, but no issues. I now see the first light of dawn on the horizon as I get closer to the city, too bad it gets taken away again on Sunday. :(
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:02 am

Back to commuting today after a 6 week break from shocking weather.
Freaking glorious.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:39 am

had an interesting CC race this morning. was on my roadie along the Kew Boullie when i overtook a bloke on a flat bar with panniers. i assumed i'd clear off, even though i was keeping a lid on it. next thing, he's out of the seat and blasted back past me up a hill. OK.. i'd decided this was a gentle ride, so he can have that one. except of course, he didn't have the legs/motivation to maintain his pace. so i trailed him most of the way along, until on a downhill i rolled past him. i was happy to stay behind but my roadie just rolls faster. so i pedalled on up the last hill to Walmer St with a bit of mustard on it to make it stick, but Mr Flatbar was definitely up for it and pushed past me to pip me on the line. kudos for decent pace on your commuter bike, but i'm not racing a flat bar - you can have it :)

Thrilloilogy

Postby Thrilloilogy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:13 pm

Had a pleasant commute interrupted by an inconsiderate tow truck driver.

There was an accident on Epping Rd tonight city bound, and a tow truck driver had pulled up in the bike lane fully blocking it. There was a side street 20 metres away where he could have pulled till the cops needed him. But nope, he had to block the bike path. What is wrong with waiting in the blocked lane behind the accident - it's not like that lane is going anywhere......

I assume, and hope, the only reason the cops hadn't told him to move his vehicle, was that people needed assistance before the ambo arrived.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:27 pm

hard work getting home. got a good luck message from a mate. that head wind was unpleasant. would have turned around and gone for some KOMs but wrong bike!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:34 pm

Forgot it was supposed to be fixie Fursday, just as well though me knee was playing up today making it painful to put power down. Gears meant less power needed therefore less pain kneed. It was also frickin freezin at about 13degrees after some pretty warm arvos.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:22 pm

Nice on the way in until about 10minutes from the door then it slammed down. Fully soaked.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:26 am

Felt a bit weary yesterday, maybe I haven't quite shaken off the effects of the flu yet. Slowish ride back, one spirited swoop by the RMIT magpie on McKimmies Rd.
Cold this morning, but otherwise uneventful ride into the Melbourne CBD.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:43 pm

After my moron motorist this morning, I decided to run the gauntlet on the way home and take Sherwood and Oxley Rds home. Bugger me if I didn't get the nicest bunch of cars all the way home.

The narrow rail overpass at Sherwood, the car behind kept its distance as I traversed the narrow bit and waited until there was ample room to pass.

As I approached the low bridge on Oxley Rd, i looked over my shoulder and a tradie in a ute waved me across and gave me plenty of room as well.

To top it off, i stopped at the lights next to a Ferrari and beat him to Blunder Rd :lol:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:25 pm

Another stinkin flat this morning. Puncture resistant doesn't really work against 5mm steel splinters from the reinforcing in the cycle path. Had a spare tube, but no pump. Called in a sag wagon from work so I could get to a meeting not too late.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:29 pm

bychosis wrote:Another stinkin flat this morning. Puncture resistant doesn't really work against 5mm steel splinters from the reinforcing in the cycle path. Had a spare tube, but no pump. Called in a sag wagon from work so I could get to a meeting not too late.
you're not a commuter if you don't carry a pump, a spare tube (2 is better), tyre levers and a multitool

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:11 pm

Pump? C02 :)

98octane

Postby 98octane » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:36 pm

jasonc wrote:
bychosis wrote:Another stinkin flat this morning. Puncture resistant doesn't really work against 5mm steel splinters from the reinforcing in the cycle path. Had a spare tube, but no pump. Called in a sag wagon from work so I could get to a meeting not too late.
you're not a commuter if you don't carry a pump, a spare tube (2 is better), tyre levers and a multitool
I leave tubes and tools at both ends, but only carry a pump. This has worked well for the 2+ years I've been commuting fill time (28km daily).

98octane

Postby 98octane » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:11 am

I took it a bit easier today and yesterday, after battling the winds for a week. I was surprised that deliberately riding about 3-4 kph slower on average adds only a couple of minutes, but it's far less tiring.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:12 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Pump? C02 :)
you're a commuter. what are you going to do? call a sag wagon? carry both!

kb

Postby kb » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:21 am

98octane wrote:
jasonc wrote:

I leave tubes and tools at both ends, but only carry a pump. This has worked well for the 2+ years I've been commuting fill time (28km daily).
Of course it works well when nothing goes wrong ;-)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:28 am

Notmally I am prepared, yesterday I grabbed a replacement tube, but couldn't find my pump and had to leave. Lesson re-learnt, will be prepared for the next commute. I've had a really good run without punctures for ages and got complacent

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:38 am

bychosis wrote:Notmally I am prepared, yesterday I grabbed a replacement tube, but couldn't find my pump and had to leave. Lesson re-learnt, will be prepared for the next commute. I've had a really good run without punctures for ages and got complacent
I've given up taking pumps. They are to slow to re-inflate the tyre. Something you don't want if your on your way to work and don't want to be late. CO2 cartridges for me.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:55 am

Multi-hop commute back on Friday - quick stop in Heidelberg, then Watsonia North, then home.
During my weekly maintenance on the commuter, I noticed that a piece of the front mudguard had snapped off at the bottom edge. Must have snagged a stick/branch or something. Will definitely have to go out and get a mud flap now.
Also dug a good few slivers of glass out of the tyres and filled the gashes. The rear SMP is starting to look pretty smooth, but no sign of the puncture protection layer yet. Looks like I'll get another 1000km out of it, so about 6000km in total.

Cool this morning, but, for the first time in ages, little or no wind! No more first light of dawn for me for a while, DST stole it. :(

Edit: spelling
Last edited by TailWind on Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:00 am

TailWind wrote:Multi-hop commute back on Friday - quick stop in Heidelberg, then Watsonia North, then home.
During my weekly maintenance on the commuter, I noticed that a piece of the front mudguard had smapped off at the bottom edge. Must have snagged a stick/branch or something. Will definitely have to go out and get a mud flap now.
Also dug a good few slivers of glass out of the tyres and filled the gashes. The rear SMP is starting to look pretty smooth, but no sign of the puncture protection layer yet. Looks like I'll get another 1000km out of it, so about 6000km in total.

Cool this morning, but, for the first time in ages, little or no wind! No more first light of dawn for me for a while, DST stole it. :(
Same here, my "morning" commute finishes around 6am :( . Looking forward to a real "afternoon" commute for a change, though :D .

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:46 pm

Good news, my fellow cycling forum peoples! I start a new job later this week so will hopefully once again grace these pages with my commuter whining. :wink: Unfortunately I seem to have picked up a cold somewhere in the past week which has now turned into a very icky cough. I'm hoping it'll go away or at least the cold will disappear prior to starting at the new place as it won't make the best first impression if I'm hacking my guts out.

I scoped the new place out and the bike parking looks non-existent - 6 ground racks for a grand total of 12 bikes in an 'A-grade' commercial building with over 30 floors? Needless to say that when I cased the joint all the 'official' racks were full. And the car park managers have put a lovely sign up saying that any bikes not in the bike area will be removed. How charming.

The car park attached to the office building is public too (my old place had a private car park for tenants only) and the 6 racks are right beside the entrance and easily accessible by the street public. I've bought another d-lock (so will now use two d-locks) and will attach my bike to a railing on a higher floor of the car park like it seems other cyclists do to hopefully deter any possible thievery but I may have to beg the new boss to use a spare room if there is one.

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Summernight wrote:Good news, my fellow cycling forum peoples! I start a new job later this week so will hopefully once again grace these pages with my commuter whining. :wink:
Congrats! And welcome back the commuting forum! Oh, and I don't really think that your posts are 'commuter whining' - they are more like pointed observations of the various tardery that is too commonly experienced on our chosen transport mode.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:34 pm

yay Summer!