traffic on bobbin head, akuna etc - middle of the day..

ab012

traffic on bobbin head, akuna etc - middle of the day..

Postby ab012 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:38 pm

I guess many (most?) people do these rides early mornings, but unfortunately family duties typically means its hard for me to get to these at those times (I dont live in that area and will likely drive there)

Hence- wondering if anyone have advice re traffic conditions on bobbin head etc when riding closer to midday (either during the week, or weekends)? Is it relaxing when doing that solo or would I need to be checking behind my back every other minute? :oops:

advice welcome!!

TimW

Re: traffic on bobbin head, akuna etc - middle of the day..

Postby TimW » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:42 pm

I do the Akuna/West head ride every now and then, mid week approx 10am to 1pm. Minimal traffic very safe, no drama whatsoever School holidays i would imagine to be busier. Other locals would be able to give an accurate representation on weekends, I am a mere "Westy" who frequents that beautiful ride occassionally :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

le_quiet_uno

Postby le_quiet_uno » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:29 pm

I regularly ride Bobbin Head on the weekend. If you are worrying about traffic I would suggest avoiding Saturday.

Sunday is generally a nicer and a quite day to ride there with less traffic.
2009 - Current - BMC SL 01 [2009]
2008 - 2009 - Cervelo R3 [2008]
2007 - 2008 - Trek 1.4 [2005]

slau73

Postby slau73 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:58 pm

I would not expect there to be much traffic at all during these times. Just have to keep in mind why would traffic transverse that stretch. Its a National Park with an entry fee, so unless you have a real reason to be there (picnic, canoeing, visiting the mariner) most people wouldn't want to pay to drive down there.

if you're coming down Bobbin Head Road, make sure you park past Burns Road because up to there, there can be a bit of midday traffic. Actually, just park as close to the park entry as possible, there's currently some housing development occurring close by and I've noticed trucks going up and down Bobbin Head Road so I can imagine these may be even more frequent during midweek.

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:25 pm

Generally the park road to Bobbin Head is very safe. Be more careful on the cycle way up Bobbin Head road, especially the door zone and pedestrians around the Nth Turra shops.

I agree that on weekdays around midday Bobbin Head it is generally pretty quiet. You always get the odd rat runner short-cutting through the park between Mt Colah and Turramurra. You'll hear them coming.

On nice weekends / public holidays and school holidays (less so) there is a late morning rush for picnic spots, starts generally around 11am through to 1pm. Then an exodus from the park from 3pm through closing. These are usually infrequent visitors to the park so they drive pretty carefully. I worry more about the rat runners who tend to take the risks and overtake on the corners.

ab012

Postby ab012 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:28 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone! Will give it a go~