Moron Motorists #3

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:31 am

jules21 wrote:
Tomca74 wrote:The fleet manager admits that there are issues with pool vehicles but did seem shocked by what happened.
what are the issues with the pool vehicles? is the steering malfunctioning?
Sounds like the nut that holds the steering wheel is a little loose... :|

Glad you're OK Tomca.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:32 am

The problem is with the organisation who choose to employ the staff.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:34 am

jules21 wrote:
Tomca74 wrote:The fleet manager admits that there are issues with pool vehicles but did seem shocked by what happened.
I believe the issue is these employees forget that company cars have branding all over them

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:09 pm

Tomca74 wrote:
jules21 wrote:
I believe the issue is these employees forget that company cars have branding all over them
No, the issue is that the employees think such behaviour is acceptable in any vehicle.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:24 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
Tomca74 wrote:
jules21 wrote: what are the issues with the pool vehicles? is the steering malfunctioning?
No, the issue is that the employees think such behaviour is acceptable in any vehicle.
Fire off emails to the highest email addresses you can find for the organization.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 4

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:59 pm

The executive director just phoned me as soon as he was made aware of it. Apologies and an undertaking that staff will be reminded of their safety obligations no matter where they are when working. Asked about any injuries or damage and gave me feedback on the driver when he questioned her about the incident. Remorseful and embarrassed. Don't know if it is for what she did or because she got caught.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:02 pm

Tomca74 wrote:Don't know if it is for what she did or because she got caught.
i can make a good guess.

good outcome though.

skull

Postby skull » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:06 pm

Only because she was caught.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:12 pm

Hopefully this has modified one drivers behavior, whether or not she believes she is right.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:15 pm

Tomca74 wrote:The executive director just phoned me as soon as he was made aware of it. Apologies and an undertaking that staff will be reminded of their safety obligations no matter where they are when working. Asked about any injuries or damage and gave me feedback on the driver when he questioned her about the incident. Remorseful and embarrassed. Don't know if it is for what she did or because she got caught.
I hope that will change the behaviour of the driver, but I suspect it is only because the driver was caught and maybe scared of a reprimand. Very bad behaviour - could kill someone. Good that you are alright.

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:16 pm

I guess the telling thing will be her behaviour should your paths cross on the commute again.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:18 pm

She needs to loose her job, imagine how she speaks to the elderly when they ask for help or anyone if that.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:30 pm

The Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde phenomenon. It lurks in many pillars of the community when they get behind the wheel.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:57 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:I guess the telling thing will be her behaviour should your paths cross on the commute again.
6'2" 100kg wearing hi viz. Should have been able to see me before. Next time she shaves me she will probably just think bad words instead lf shouting them

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:10 pm

Dragster1 wrote:She needs to loose her job, imagine how she speaks to the elderly when they ask for help or anyone if that.
She might be perfectly fine when interacting with people. But as every good tabloid reader knows, cyclists aren't people. :|

skull

Postby skull » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:44 pm

no, they are scum and should be treated as such.

I had someone treat my like a person once. I wasn't sure if it was a trap or not.

cowled

Postby cowled » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:10 pm

Tomca74 wrote:The executive director just phoned me as soon as he was made aware of it. Apologies and an undertaking that staff will be reminded of their safety obligations no matter where they are when working. Asked about any injuries or damage and gave me feedback on the driver when he questioned her about the incident. Remorseful and embarrassed. Don't know if it is for what she did or because she got caught.
Tomca, I know that you probably do not want to get this woman into any further trouble, however, I would urge you to take this to the police and press for charges. People need to understand that it is not enough to just feel sorry about putting a cyclist's life in danger, they also have to face up to the consequences of their dangerous behaviour. This means that you have to push for the 'stick'. You will be doing all cyclists a service. Please, please, please take this to the police. The driver has already admitted fault to their employer so they can't back out of it now.

Edit: Btw, when I recover from my injury, I will be riding on Fairfield Rd quite regularly. I would personally appreciate it if you could press for charges against this driver. If she ever encounters me on the road, I would like for her to understand that she MUST overtake safely.
Last edited by cowled on Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

arkle

Postby arkle » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:25 pm

cowled wrote:
Tomca, I know that you probably do not want to get this woman into any further trouble, however, I would urge you to take this to the police and press for charges. People need to understand that it is not enough to just feel sorry about putting a cyclist's life in danger, they also have to face up to the consequences of their dangerous behaviour. This means that you have to push for the 'stick'. You will be doing all cyclists a service. Please, please, please take this to the police. The driver has already admitted fault to their employer so they can't back out of it now.
It is very serious if she deliberately drove into you and hit you with her wing mirror. You could have fallen off like cowled and broken your leg or your wrist. The fact that you didn't is no reason not to report the incident to the police, since the intent was there. Even if the police cannot charge her they should at least speak to her.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:43 pm

A slap to the rear mudguard panel with the heel of your hand will leave a satisfying dent in most cars.

I did it to a Bentley once that deliberately drove straight across my path to get into Spring St from Bond St as I was heading up Pitt St forcing me to emergency emergency brake as he blocked the lane side-on. He looked and saw me and charged across anyway.

I just intended to make a loud noise, but when I saw the dent I thought "Ooh what a shame :lol: "

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:52 pm

That's when you turn around and go into TimeTrial mode :P

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:55 pm

trailgumby wrote:I did it to a Bentley once that deliberately drove straight across my path to get into Spring St from Bond St as I was heading up Pitt St forcing me to emergency emergency brake as he blocked the lane side-on. He looked and saw me and charged across anyway.
it's amazing how so many morons think that you are completely powerless when on a bicycle - "oh he's completely at my mercy". often this is the case (e.g. country roads), but not in heavy traffic.

i tapped on the window of a lady driver who came flying past me the other night with cm to spare and only to stop at the lights a few metres beyond. i didn't get angry i was just letting her know it wasn't appreciated - the look of shock on her face was very much one of "i didn't expect that!" no, why would you? i'm happy to let people arbitrarily endanger my life. we all run red lights and ignore the road rules - why would we care if we get run over by motorists? :roll:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:42 pm

trailgumby wrote:A slap to the rear mudguard panel with the heel of your hand will leave a satisfying dent in most cars.
So you've given up on leaving mirrors dangling?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:44 pm

human909 wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:She needs to loose her job, imagine how she speaks to the elderly when they ask for help or anyone if that.
She might be perfectly fine when interacting with people. But as every good tabloid reader knows, cyclists aren't people. :|
It's very sad that people think like this, I suppose it's like some sort of stereo typing one bike rider does the wrong by them and they think that we all are bad. From my life experiences people that fake being nice sooner or later they crack under pressure and their true colours show even at work. Unless her superior is like her, all it would take is one more bad report and she would get the chop.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:14 pm

il padrone wrote:
g-boaf wrote:However, I'd be just as much inclined to support the motorbike riders if it turned out the car driver had intended from the word go to attack the motorbike riders and they were simply defending themselves.
Just a point of clarification - chasing a 4WD at speed for 2.5 miles along freeways and city streets, then dragging the driver out of the car, beating him and knifing him...... is not defending yourself :roll: :roll:
Oh, I totally agree, especially after seeing this video of the same group of thugs going after the Prius:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aReFR6Ga ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems they are a well known crime gang who go after wealthy looking people. My reply above was just to appease those who obviously defend the motorbike riders, without question. If they behave like that all the time, send them off to a prison camp for good.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:18 am

jules21 wrote:
trailgumby wrote:I did it to a Bentley once that deliberately drove straight across my path to get into Spring St from Bond St as I was heading up Pitt St forcing me to emergency emergency brake as he blocked the lane side-on. He looked and saw me and charged across anyway.
it's amazing how so many morons think that you are completely powerless when on a bicycle - "oh he's completely at my mercy". often this is the case (e.g. country roads), but not in heavy traffic.

i tapped on the window of a lady driver who came flying past me the other night with cm to spare and only to stop at the lights a few metres beyond. i didn't get angry i was just letting her know it wasn't appreciated - the look of shock on her face was very much one of "i didn't expect that!" no, why would you? i'm happy to let people arbitrarily endanger my life. we all run red lights and ignore the road rules - why would we care if we get run over by motorists? :roll:
The passenger's eyes were the size of moons... I think he thought I was going to come in through the window. I pulled up with centimetres to spare. The reality was I could have have stopped a a couple of metres earlier but I thought the point was worth emphasizing that the driver's arrogance almost caused a collision.