Why is it so?

Gordonhooker

Why is it so?

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:35 pm

Just come back from a ride on my fixie around the river in Brisbane City and the area around Garden Point that goes along the river has slow down signs everywhere I suppose because it is used by lots of people at lunch time. Anyway the boy racers come flying around the blind corner east/west and nearly wipe me out and some very startled walkers as well. For Gods sakes fellows you can give it heaps where it is safe, how about slowing down a bit for the rest of us! :( :( :(
OI onya bike!!!

Gordonhooker

Re: Why is it so?

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:16 pm

The boy racers were at it again yesterday when I went for my lunch time ride...
OI onya bike!!!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:25 pm

I'd like to see people stop walking around aimlessly like they own the joint. I know what's a good idea. Lets walk behind these people infront but lets stay to the right of them despite the amount of bikes that are coming towards us and that keep passing us. Ooooo a bell. Better step right and have a look to see what's coming up behind me :lol:

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:36 am

I hear you on that one :D The other one I love is on the cycle and skates only paths and group of people are walking along aimlessly.... :(
OI onya bike!!!

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:13 am

I ride that route twice a day and it's gotten a lot worse since they knocked down the wooden walk way a couple months ago. More pedestrians are walking three/four abreast on each side which causes a few issues for everyone. But there's still idiots who fly around that pinch point just before the Riverstage just to shave off a few seconds.

The council really need to widen the path there as it's not functional for two sets of walkers and two sets of bikes. Particularly, getting from the gardens down to the riverwalk near eagle street is shocking. You can barely have a bike and walker go past each other in either direction. Just dangerous stuff.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:41 am

Gordonhooker wrote:I hear you on that one :D The other one I love is on the cycle and skates only paths and group of people are walking along aimlessly.... :(
Haha yep. It still amazes me that some people still try to walk that unpainted section between the bikeway lanes and the cement wall. It's like 20cm wide but still some people think they can walk along it and at times impeding the riders heading towards them.

That bit of path there is just stupid. They need to remove those yellow bars and relabel that whole area. Also needs to have greater visibility as people don't adhear to the walk on the left side only. Even worse are the ones that stop in the middle of the bloody path!

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:42 pm

How do you guys deal with the section that follows past the Riverstage and through to the Botanic Garden gates that meet onto Alice St? There's a small walkway that curves down to the boardwalk that leads you to Eagle St, but it's not possible to do safely without dismounting. It's only about two people wide. I'd typically use that route if I wanted to head to the Valley. Wondering if there's an easier way as the Eagle St boardwalk is too dense on some afternoons too.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:55 pm

Shpox wrote:How do you guys deal with the section that follows past the Riverstage and through to the Botanic Garden gates that meet onto Alice St? There's a small walkway that curves down to the boardwalk that leads you to Eagle St, but it's not possible to do safely without dismounting. It's only about two people wide. I'd typically use that route if I wanted to head to the Valley. Wondering if there's an easier way as the Eagle St boardwalk is too dense on some afternoons too.
I've never found it too difficult to ride down the ramp. The narrow section from the gate onto the ramp can be a little tricky if there are pedestrians, and you may have to wait.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...