Cinelli

Classiciron

Cinelli

Postby Classiciron » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:03 pm

I am new to this site and was prompted to post on the recommendation of a friend. This is my Cinelli which is my current race bike. I bought the frame from a seller in Brisbane and from the same seller, but separately, bought the complete Suntour Superbe Pro group (SSP) set (less pedals of which I have some anyway).

This group set came on this bike from new and originally came from a seller in Belgium. When I saw the frame and group set, I thought, here is something I can build up to serve as my race bike whilst I restore my 1984 Apollo VI race bike.

The frame was a hot pink "Super BH" with Superbe Pro decals on it. The original SLX tube type set sticker was still on the frame but there was a dent and a slight bend in the top tube. It seemed to have taken a wack from side on to cause the bend in the top tube. So I knew the frame would require repair and was not put off by this as steel frames are very repairable.

For a few months I pondered over paint colours and paint layup design. I was settled on the fact that it would be reborn as a Cinelli as it has all of the Cinelli features less the Cinelli Supercorsa style seat stay clamp set up. All of the lugs are stamped with the Cinelli logo, it has the Cinelli “foil” type bottom bracket, SLX tube, Cinelli logo stamping in the beautiful “flame”fork crown and has Columbus drop-outs in frame and fork.

After the frame was stipped and the top tube replaced with Columbus SL (10gr difference over SLX), the frame was taken to have the original chrome plating stripped of it. Disaster! The cyanide solution into which the frame was placed, dissolved the bosses and cable runners and etched into the brazing on some of the joins. More repair work was required to make good the damage so it was back to the frame repairer. Once repaired, the areas of the frame and fork, to be rechromed, was eventually refinished. The frame was then back to the frame repairer for repainting. For this I supplied the paint codes so that nothing was left to chance. I also supplied the Cinelli decal set which I was able to get from NSW. Time passed and the frame was eventually completed.

In the meantime, I set about replacing with new old stock some of the components to finish the bike to my satisfaction. I acquired a new SSP Italian threaded bottom bracket set and a new set of SSP Accushift 6/7 speed shifters, new Selle Italia saddle, new chain, new Nitto Olympiade 115 bars and I transferred the Look Keo Blade Ti pedals from my Apollo VI.

As a fan of SSP components and Suntour freewheels, I installed a new 13-18 freewheel to the hubs which still spin so smoothly they are nothing short of magnificent.

I finally picked up the finished frame and was delighted to see it painted again and thrilled by my colour scheme not to mention the quality of the job.

The build began and nothing was hurried. This was a ritual, a time for paying homage
and taking pleasure in the quality of the pieces I had before me. Much has been written about the Suntour Superbe Pro quality but until you hold it in your hands and are appreciative of the quality of design, function, manufacture and finish you will never really know how fine that group set was/is.The build ritual took a few weeks. It was then time to take it for a test ride. I instantly took a liking to the indexed gears as I had only ever used friction up to that point (early 2013). The bike felt swift and very, very smooth – different to my Apollo VI.

I enjoy riding this bike very much and it always gets comment of admiration on race days. I often get remarks, “you still race it though” as if it should be in a glass cabinet. But putting it simply, I believe a beautiful bike deserves to spend time in the sun for all to enjoy.

http://s374.photobucket.com/user/AOBNbe ... lassiciron" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If there's something you can do about it, do it. If theres nothing you can do, don't worry.

HappyHumber

Re: Cinelli

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:39 pm

Nice one! I love bikes with such a known history.

Took the liberty of linking your pics whilst you're still sub-10 posts here.

Classiciron wrote: I often get remarks, “you still race it though” as if it should be in a glass cabinet.
Sod 'em. It's a bit like people trying to impress me with their latest gadget or doo-dad. I am quietly thinking to myself; "You just bought it. You didn't design and build it". Your bike shows an investment of not just money, but love as well.
Last edited by HappyHumber on Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:41 pm

A thing of beauty.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:09 pm

Yep! Absolutely magnificent!!

and it should be ridden.......carefully, of course :)
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

PANZR

Postby PANZR » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:16 pm

Wow, it's just...WOW!

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:18 pm

Who did the chroming & paint job?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:26 pm

That is one very gorgeous bike, youve done a great job.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:30 pm

'Eyecatching' - comes to mind. Nice job indeed. Very nice group set to match the frame. It must be a joy to ride.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi ClassicIron. I am your Brisbane mate ;)

Am glad you have joined BNA and are sharing your pics. As I've said before, the Cinelli looks simply stunning, and I'd never know it was the same bike I inspected last year! :) I didn't remember you had the problems with resto that you mention above. That must have been heart breaking. I also have new respect for you...the patience to stick with rebirthing a bike would be beyond me....but obviously the results justify it. Makes me wonder whether your children will cherish it the way you did.

You obviously have a long and deep knowledge of dealing with metals and mechanicals. From what I know about you, it started in the back yard shed with your talented brothers, under the guidance of your talented dad! And I'd bet there's someone on the forum that knows your BMX champion brother and his sons.

Anyway, hope your fitness and racing continues to improve. I did a C grade crit today...my top power is off due to Calorie deficit...so settled to be a lead out in the final lap. Am doing a 100k tomorrow with 5 others, over Tamborine and up to Binna Burra, behind the Gold Coast. It's a beautiful ride.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:07 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:A thing of beauty.
Says it all. Outstanding job.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Classiciron

Postby Classiciron » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:19 pm

Thanks for the comments people. The whole process from aquistition to test ride took about a year. The frame repairs and paint job were done by Paconi Racing Frames in Braeside Victoria and I don't hesitate to recommend him. He has done my Apollo VI frame as well which is yet to be unveiled and I am also very happy with that. He appreciates nice frames. I won't recommend the electroplaters who did the job as they caused me more grief than pleasure.

A few words of advice on chrome plating based on my own experience. If a frame has been chrome plated before and is in need of re-doing, expect problems if it has to be chemically stripped as the cyanide solution will attack any of the exposed bronze alloy. That will happen at any electoplating shop so you must talk to them and make them aware of your requirements. Metal polishers at electroplating shops will not be fastidious about carefully preparing such damage before hitting it with a polishing buff. I can tell you from trade experience that deep scratches are removed with finer scratches, then finer again, and again before hitting them with course polishing compound, then finer compound and finally burnishing for the finest finish possible. However, if you have a frame which has not been chrome plated before, it probably won't need to go into a cyanide bath. If you wish to chrome plate something for the first time, you can have control over the preparation of the metal before it gets polished. Ask the appropriate questions to ensure you will be getting what you want.

On the paint job, You can't really see the effect of the paint in the photos until the bike is in the sunshine. The dark red is a Ford colour: Sparkling Burgundy; the white is a Subaru colour: Satin white pearl. The motor industry has some fabulous colours. Most dealer spare parts counters are happy to give you the code of a colour if you can give the an accurate paint name such as those above. otherwise, go to your local wrecker and look at the colours of wrecked cars and get the paint code from the VIN plate.

I get a lot of pleasure racing the Cinelli and I know that when I am in top form, I am very competitive on it too. Gives those on 10K carbon bikes something to think about. Any placing is very hard won as I'm sure guys don't like to be beaten by someone on a classic steel bike (such as my rusty old Apollo VI) so they try extra hard!!
If there's something you can do about it, do it. If theres nothing you can do, don't worry.

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:32 pm

Fittingly, I have the exact same saddle on my Cinelli (mine is much newer though, and not retro) :D

Classiciron

Postby Classiciron » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:42 pm

I finally worked out how to connect photobucket to my post!

http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/class ... Super%20BH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:12 pm

Very nice bike and glad to hear its used as intended. And well done sticking with downtube shifters :wink:

Classiciron

Postby Classiciron » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Thanks Nashie. I don't know any different as I have never riden an aluminium or carbon frame or ever used the new style of shifter systems. this bike has index shifters and it is the first bike I have ever riden with index shifting!

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:11 am

Same here. I raced a Colnago 20yrs ago and I'm just getting back in the saddle of a Clamont i just restored. Im sure technology has come along over the years, but ignorance is bliss and you don't want to spoil the joy of riding the old classics.

morini

Postby morini » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:44 pm

Classiciron wrote:Thanks Nashie. I don't know any different as I have never riden an aluminium or carbon frame or ever used the new style of shifter systems. this bike has index shifters and it is the first bike I have ever riden with index shifting!
If I were you I wouldn't, because you'd park the down shifter bikes in seconds. I've just spent three months riding a Superbe Pro drive train with Simplex Retro Friction shifters and love it ........ but when I got back on my Campag 9 speed a week ago. Holly sh#t, I'd forgotten just how much better Ergo shifters were. It's just so easy, comfortable and seamless. I'm afraid there's no competition. Looks like I'm ebaying a bit of gear soon.

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:05 pm

I'd go the other way. I rode 52km on Sat on my 91 Peugeot with indexed down-tube shifters and 121 today on brifters and it is the friction that makes the difference. The d-t shifters are very direct with minimal friction and I can change from either end of the cassette to the other in one movement. My brifters have the cable routed under the bar tape and though the changes are quick they don't feel as direct.

Classiciron

Postby Classiciron » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Morini, I take you point. I have no intention of changing to the new “fandangled" shifter systems any time soon. Heck, I have just introduced myself to index shifting and that technology is already twenty odd years old. Evolution, innovation and the like move pretty slowly in my world. One of the good things is that this stuff will still be working beautifully in another twenty years time.

By the time I’m ready to move onto something newer than what I have now, shifter systems will probably be telepathic!

For the racing I do on this bike, it’s more about the engine, less about the bike. Having said that, this ol’ engine could do with a good tune up!

I find that racing with down tube shifters doesn’t make that much of a difference as I have always compensated for rushed the gear change by spinning up a higher cadence before going for the next gear. I believe the greatest difference for me at least if I was to ride a good quality carbon frame with ergo shifters would be the benefit of a more responsive frame essentially for sprinting and surges with ergo shifters having a benefit perhaps for convenience but at my level not so significant.

Starting to sound like you're preaching to the unconverted!

morini

Postby morini » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:15 pm

I'm trying to gently warn you, though I am probably doing a bit of preaching to the unconverted. Beware....... some modern stuff actually lives up to it's claims. The older I get (mid 50's) the less respect I have for some modern equipment and I have to say Campagnolo (and probably Shimano) brifters are bloody fantastic. I have no problems using down shifters but you just can't compare the two. The only similarity is that they both change gears.

I know where your coming from here. I'm into Italian motorbikes and every one I've bought in the last 10 years is older than the last. You find where your comfortable and stay there....... for a while at least. Just don't take up any offers to try out a modern bike. You'll be rooted then.

Classiciron

Postby Classiciron » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:37 pm

I appreciate the gesture. I do also appreciate that the new ergo style shifters and now Di2 stuff is state of the art. When I stick my nose in a bikeshop in my travels and get chatting, invariably I get offered a ride on a new "wizz bang" race bike. I politely decline the offer as I know the experience would reveal to myself what a handicap I have given myself in racing my old bikes against those on new machines. I love my old bikes nevertheless!

Don't suppose you have a pair of Suntour Superbe Pro areo brake levers in excellent condition do you? (same as pictured o my Cinelli) by any chance.

morini

Postby morini » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:31 am

I do but only one pair and they're not in top condition. Watch US ebay. There seems to be a mine of Superbe over there.

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:23 pm

:mrgreen: sensational work :mrgreen:
Classiciron wrote: Don't suppose you have a pair of Suntour Superbe Pro areo brake levers in excellent condition do you? (same as pictured o my Cinelli) by any chance.
and while that search is on, anyone know of hoods for the same aero?
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

morini

Postby morini » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Rumour has it that Robbie Fellows, the Campag hood maker, might make them. Not confirmed though.

I found out how to find him via ebay but I've done nothing about it. Do a few of us want to pool together and see if he makes them? I could also do with some non-aero Supebe ones as well.

Otherwise I have no idea where to get real hoods from.

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:25 pm

thanks Morini

I found an email for Robbie and have sent a request so hopefully something might come of it for all of us
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012