Help me find my wife anew bike.

The 2nd Womble

Help me find my wife anew bike.

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:39 pm

The long and the short (giggle snort) of it is that my wife is 5ft1" with shorter back legs than proportional. Although this makes it easier to hide purchases than many husbands, it makes finding her a new bike a lot harder than I was expecting. We want something in Brissy on HP at around the $1k mark.
If you can throw up rideable suggestions for a grumpy midget that will get her training for and taking part in next year's RTCC I'd appreciate the advice.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Help me find my wife anew bike.

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:47 pm

Does it have to be new?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:10 pm

It has to be HP because we can't see our way clear otherwise until after Christmas.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:20 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote: ...my wife is 5ft1" with shorter back legs than proportional.
Proportional to what? Her front legs? :D

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:22 pm

Tim wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote: ...my wife is 5ft1" with shorter back legs than proportional.
Proportional to what? Her front legs? :D
Yes.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:25 pm

Sorry, couldn't help myself. No offense intended.

Last edited by Tim on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:27 pm

She's shorter and has a prettier nose.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:28 pm

I need to get a rough idea on frame size.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:29 pm

Have you had her tail docked yet?
(Sorry, no offense intended)

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:40 pm

Well, I'm just about 5'2 and ride a 47cm (XS) 2011 Trek Madone 4.5 WSD. I find that being a smaller rider, the women's specific models are a better fit for me but that's just my preference. I also have shorter 'back' legs :-P and a longer torso.

As for the $1000 budget, the Trek cost me $2000 brand new, not sure what they go for second hand... ? Otherwise I tested a Giant TCR in a 42cm frame which was also the right size, just didn't feel as good to me as the Trek.

*not sure what HP means? Hire Purchase?
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

jaffaman

Postby jaffaman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:42 pm

Depends on the style you want. Both my wife (5"10) and my 9 year old daughter (just a bit under 5") ride full size 26" electra townies - these are so called "comfort bikes" but the riding position means you can deal with smaller legs. On my daughters I just have the stem turned inwards and the riser bars titled in so she can reach the bars easily. Despite her small size, the deep step through frame in the women's bike and ability to run the seat nice and low means she has no problems riding it, stopping and starting unassisted.

Townies are available from a few places, with New Farm Cycles probably the biggest brissy dealer. Giant sell the Sedona and cypress women's bikes which are similar geometries and may also suit. I have seen at least one of those on the floor at Tom Wallace lutwyche, but any giant dealer may do. Not road bikes, but easily up to the two days of 100kms per day of the RTCC so long as enjoying yourself is more important than absolute speed,

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Hmmm, her innet leg is a scant 675mm.

jaffaman

Postby jaffaman » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:12 am

Just measured my daughters townie. Seat post top is 700mm off the ground. Seat adds another 65 mm or so (yes they have thick seats as std). I'll try and measure her in the morning to see what size her inseam is, but it isn't huge - she is only in grade 4 and is average height for her age.

The do also do a few 24" townies, but they only come with a choice of 3 speed nexus IGH or 7 speed derailleur 14-34t, which may limit things a bit, but if it fits, then there are options like replacing the rear wheel with one with an SRAM dual drive for example, but that would go over budget in total.

An entirely different direction would be a folder, looking online there are some Dahons and Dr Hons under 1k, and the occasional Tern. You should be able to easily adjust these to suit a small inseam, but you would really need to see and try some to know if it is something she would like to be seen on or not. People either love or hate folders.

jaffaman

Postby jaffaman » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:55 am

Measured my daughter- 4'7", with 650 inseam. So it works, but I'll admit she is on the edge of fitting it. Shorter cranks would help but as I expect her to grow I haven't bothered. You may need to consider smaller wheels, but only some test rides will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

kman

Postby kman » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:12 am

I was in a similar situation as you. Similar height with the missus.
We couldn't find anything that would fit for under $1000 brand new and there was a big price gap to go for any other brand with women specific sizing.

In the end we bought a bike from CELL bikes. Size 46cm.

http://www.this link is broken/Cell-2013-B ... gory=12632" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did bought a new adjustable stem to raise the height of the bar for a more relax position. (her arms aren't too long either)